DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Does Cornette not realize Memphis is the blueprint for “mud show” wrestling?

Dumb bastard worked in a company that had guys spraying each other with mustard while he's wrestling a damn Ninja Turtle but today's wrestling doesn't take things seriously. Dementia is a bitch.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As if he doesn't rise in the morning and immediately check out what Pockets and Joey Ryan are up to so he has something to get his blood up. 

Of course he does, it keeps him relevant.

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As if he doesn't rise in the morning and immediately check out what Pockets and Joey Ryan are up to so he has something to get his blood up. 

In tribute to Rip Torn, I vote that AEW change his name to Pockets O'Houlihan.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

God, I have always loved that fucking promo.  The Gangstaz "Farrakhan '94" t-shirt should've been a thing..

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

"Juice, keep up the good work."

"Two less we got to worry about."

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

When Cornettes talking about old Crockett days and how dumb Jim Herd was/is im all ears when he starts ranting about how Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks are killing the business i check out.

I was kinda like that as well, but then started thinking that if he talks nonsenses about current day wrestling, how can we be sure that what he says about older stuff isn't bullshit as well? And then I stopped paying attention to him.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

I was kinda like that as well, but then started thinking that if he talks nonsenses about current day wrestling, how can we be sure that what he says about older stuff isn't bullshit as well? And then I stopped paying attention to him.

You make a fair point. I’m beginning to not even listen to trip down memory lane stuff cuz he’s so angry and hate filled that it’s like bro chill out.

I'm late to the party, just finishing up watching Fight for the Fallen, but holy fuck is Marvez bad on commentary.  He just pulls stuff out of his ass and needs Ross and Excalibur to reel him in.

He categorized a possible CIMA loss to Omega as an "embarrassment" to China and OWE, and his broadcast partners were like "WTF dude Omega is one of the best in the world, there'd be no shame in losing to him!"

Later, he referred to Rick Knox as the Bucks' "hand-picked official," writing his own storyline based on the Bucks hiring Knox, I guess?  What a fucking goof.  Way to undermine the refs with no direction to do so and no existing storyline to that end.  Just make up a bullshit "heel ref" story, that's what a new promotion needs!  Excalibur corrected him and stated that Knox was an impartial, stand up guy, and probably wanted to really lay into him about the Bucks and Knox's PWG feud.

The announcers don't need a Vince in their ear but they do need someone producing them a little so this inexperienced goof doesn't fuck up their storylines.  This gets more important as TV starts.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

You make a fair point. I’m beginning to not even listen to trip down memory lane stuff cuz he’s so angry and hate filled that it’s like bro chill out.

It’s a schtick, but yeah, it’s annoying and pointless. 

Cornette lives in a bubble.  He exposes his inability to accept change on every show.  Even going so far as burying the idea of change on a recent listen (not sure what episode).  Yeah, you can’t take him seriously, but you can have a laugh both at him and with him occasionally.  I’m not interested in ‘cancelling’ him.  I do get not giving him attention tho.  That said, I think it’s A okay that different views exist, and to even engage them.  I like to think it helps keep one out of a bubble.  

Maybe it’s because I never really saw Cornette as a good booker (Moreso producer) that it’s easy for me to take him as sometimes an interesting analyst, sometimes a total goof.  Check out an episode where he talks about music for example.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

6 hours ago, Archibald said:

As someone who watches very little of the current product considering what's all that is out there nowadays, I can certainly agree with a lot of what he says. If I ever get back into the modern American wrestling scene (and with AEW starting up w/ their TV soon, I probably will at some point in the near future), I'm going to skip a lot of this shit I find silly or anything I probably wouldn't watch BEFORE I stopped watching wrestling regularly about six or seven years ago. So am I going to watch an Orange Cassidy match? No, I am not but I don't give a fuck if someone else does. At the same time, Cornette just likes fucking with people because they want to be trolled. By now, you know what he is going to say. You think on the most recent drive-thru that someone from fucking Italy actually has the EXACT same talking points as Jim Cornette and took time to write to him? He's catering to lapsed fans (and people who dare go to these conventions) more than people who actually watch wrestling now. And he's built a considerable fanbase from that. So there is a bunch of validity (on the surface at least) to go along with a bunch of bullshit he spews. As long as people want to hear him skewer the current wrestling product, he's going to continue to do it. If nobody gave credibility to what he was saying, he wouldn't watch LITERALLY every show AEW has done so far especially to the point of taking notes. I haven't even watched that much AEW, and I like many of the people they've signed from what I've seen of those particular wrestlers. Granted, the reason for that is Saturday with MMA and boxing already on three or four different platforms makes it tough to work in wrestling into that. So do I agree with him on Omega and the Bucks? Yes, but mostly no. I find a lot of the stuff the Bucks do to be repetitive and lacking any type of emotion or real storytelling and if you clip 5 minutes at least from their matches, they would much better. I think their matches would have a lot more staying power if they got reeled in. However, I am coming from the viewpoint who probably wasn't going like seventeen superkicks in a match and thinks it's dumb as fuck anyway. I didn't grow up on shit like that. Are they making a mockery of current pro wrestling? If I watched wrestling regularly again, I'm pretty sure I can find worse offenders. As for Omega, I love him as his wrestler but his personality is that of a boring character actor who actually believes people give a shit about how he gets into a character. I am going to track down any great match he has rather than any interview he gives. It's easier to avoid his drab personality doing that. For someone like Cornette who even clowns his current and former colleagues (I really do believe Bruce Prichard is a kiss ass and McMahon loyalist enough that he will allow Vince to strap him to the car like a freshly killed deer while Vince does 90 mph on the way back into Stamford), Omega is ripe for the picking. So I admit, I do get a small kick from that. A guy like Jim Cornette just from his time in the wrestling business (even as carny as fuck as he may be) in many different places is going to be able to zero in on why the popularity of pro wrestling has declined greatly. It's not just WWE that's responsible for that, and you'll never find me ever defending WWE. Does that make most of what he says true? Hell fucking no, but it doesn't have to be. There are enough people that agree with him for people to constantly bring him back up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Later, he referred to Rick Knox as the Bucks' "hand-picked official," writing his own storyline based on the Bucks hiring Knox, I guess?  What a fucking goof.  Way to undermine the refs with no direction to do so and no existing storyline to that end.  Just make up a bullshit "heel ref" story, that's what a new promotion needs!  Excalibur corrected him and stated that Knox was an impartial, stand up guy, and probably wanted to really lay into him about the Bucks and Knox's PWG feud.

On BTE they showed a clip of Bucks telling Knox Bar Wrestling he's not only signed but they wanted him to ref their match at Double or Nothing.  That was a boneheaded call but I at least see why he would get that misinterpreted.  But he should have had that clarified to him before saying it that's for sure.

And speaking of FFTF I never got around to saying it but I feel I might be the only one who liked Page/Sabian.  I agree that it seems nonsensical for a title contender to go 20 minutes with an unknown and that typically it would be a short match.  But I liked the idea of this relative unknown in Sabian not only acknowledging that but trying to make that not happen so he can prove himself.  I heard of the guy but it was a pretty nice introduction to him and I'm curious what he has in store.  So at least for me it was effective.  But it didn't help that it was a long match that was part of a show with other long matches.  Heck, I still haven't seen the main event and am not sure I feel an immediate need to.  But at least with TV format that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

• Like 1

Just got caught up with the first 3 episodes of Road to ALL OUT and I must say I'm looking forward to Cody vs Spears.

There's the school of thought that a good heel always feels that their actions are justified. Spears feels that he was in the right whacking Cody silly cuz Cody called him a good hand and Tully is in his ear influencing him.

I have sinking suspension that when Cody chooses Arn or Cain Velasquez or whoever it is that's in his corner MJF is gonna turn on him for not being the one out there.

• Like 1