DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

To his credit, Big Cass is actually looking way better, physically, than he ever did in his NXT/WWE run. Of course, he's living with DDP right now, so go figure, but still. Impressive to see him now versus, say, his last few months on the main roster. It's like night and day.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Thank you. A lot of these indie guys are not the draw anyone believes them to be; instead, they get booked to shows that promoters already know will be big. For example, Funnybone and Damien 666 headlined a Vancouver show that had already sold out before they were even announced. Same with TJP or Matt Riddle working a Commodore Ballrom: those shows were already sold out or would've sold out anyway. I feel AEW is currently drawing big houses because of the "we are not the WWE" vibe they are putting out, and less who is actually on the roster. Aside from the Bucks and Jericho (maybe Cody to be generous), nobody on the roster is an arena-filling name in North America.

In Winnipeg, WWE is the draw. As Dewar said, even when Omega comes back its the same couple hundred people showing up at PCW events. They've also brought in Samoa Joe multiple times, AJ Styles and even Eddy Guerrero right before his 2002 return to WWE and its still the same people showing up.

There's a new group that just started and has put on a couple fun shows downtown and have brought in PCO, Ethan Page and Joey Ryan and I would bet that the crowd is most of the same people as the PCW crowd (I went to the first, wasn't at the 2nd).

I'm not even sure how many you could draw with Jericho here. My guess is at best you'd match WWE house show attendance, which is usually in the 5-6000 range here, but even that I'd be skeptical about without the WWE name behind it.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:57 AM, ComingToAmerica said:

I'm happy to call AEW the #2 promotion and I'm happy there's competition and that everybody is happy etc, but I don't miss Omega in NJPW tbh. Not that I'm not a fan, but I think The Elite leaving created some space and I think it's been filled just fine. Obviously not in terms of selling tickets for US events, but I certainly wouldn't trade Moxley for him in B Block. And a guy like Taichi....yeah he needs to be in the G1 too. 

(I also don't think we've seen the last of Omega in NJPW anyway)

I kind of agree for the G1 at least. The G1 feels really fresh and exciting this year. 

Edited by TheVileOne

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I have a feeling and it's based on nothing but my gut that AEW will run a PPV Thanksgiving weekend, November 30th is a Saturday in the Mid-Atlantic region maybe the Greensboro Coliseum as like a send up to the original Starrcade. I say that Only because Cody is one of the EVP's.

The only issue with that weekend is Wrestlecade also runs that weekend, and that's a giant indy show.  I don't think AEW is going to step on Wrestlecade if they can help it.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Whoa, they're going really big. Smart choice going with university arenas. I'm guessing with the stage and ring that they'll probably try to get ~6k for Boston and ~8 for Philly. Ambitious but those are wrestling hotbeds and they should sell out or get close. Still most interested to see where they are in the Spring once both the novelty has started to wear off and they've hit up the big cities. Will they have built up a big enough audience to either maintain or even expand their venue size of choice or will they have to downgrade while they continue to look into building up a following. That's most interesting to me.

University arenas are a great idea. I'd love to see them run Toledo's arena, maybe even Bowling Green's Stroh Center. Impact ran there and well, no one came, but there was little to no promotion of it. I think it holds maybe 5,000 for concerts. If they ran Toledo, they could run the Huntington Center that WWE use for Smackdown sometimes. It holds 8000, I think. I just really want AEW to run close to me, to be honest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alstein said:

The only issue with that weekend is Wrestlecade also runs that weekend, and that's a giant indy show.  I don't think AEW is going to step on Wrestlecade if they can help it.

Well played Alstein.

If DON in late MAy and ALL OUT in late August are any indication then the other two PPVs would be in late November and Late February but with February only being 28 days maybe early March.

If not running Thanksgiving weeknd in the Mid-Atlantic region then where?

I do think there's an untapped wrestling market in the Southwest region of the United States i.e. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah & Colorado, places the WWE rarely runs. They should try to run Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas. The FargoDome holds 20,000 just saying.

• Like 1

They smoke a lot of pot in Denver. It was before my time but I do believe that the AWA ran Denver quit a bit in their heyday. Denver is a city with a ton of wrestling history that WWE ignores and if this article is any indication Denver has a bustling indy scene

https://www.5280.com/2018/10/professional-wrestling-is-on-the-rise-in-denver/ 

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

They smoke a lot of pot in Denver. It was before my time but I do believe that the AWA ran Denver quit a bit in their heyday. Denver is a city with a ton of wrestling history that WWE ignores and if this article is any indication Denver has a bustling indy scene

https://www.5280.com/2018/10/professional-wrestling-is-on-the-rise-in-denver/ 

I'll pass on the obvious Rob Van Dam/Sabu joke being set up. One of my fellow board members can have at it.

You'd think the city that produced not only Vader but also 2 Cold Scorpio would be a hotbed. Although technically Vader is an LA guy who moved to Denver for college and stayed there. Would the altitude be an issue? Then again, they just worked Mexico City, so probably not.

Nobody posted Kenny & the Bucks vs Penta, Fenix & Laredo Kid (the rematch, from Triplemania) in the matches thread. But it's on YT somewhere.

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Well played Alstein.

If DON in late MAy and ALL OUT in late August are any indication then the other two PPVs would be in late November and Late February but with February only being 28 days maybe early March.

If not running Thanksgiving weeknd in the Mid-Atlantic region then where?

I do think there's an untapped wrestling market in the Southwest region of the United States i.e. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah & Colorado, places the WWE rarely runs. They should try to run Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas. The FargoDome holds 20,000 just saying.

I remember when Virgil Hill made BISMARCK, NORTH DAKOTA a boxing hotbed for like ten years, and he would also occasionally fight at the FargoDome.

But yeah, I don't see AEW running Sturgis, SD anytime soon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This feels like an exaggeration. 

Are we arguing the definition of ‘a lot’?  It seem to me that it was getting a lot of attention, buzz, chatter.  That isn’t to say it was a mainstream success, but rather wrestling fans some familiar and some unfamiliar with the international market were made aware of Kenny.  

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Really though, it aired here and there was probably some light promotion that caught your eye if you have TSN on all the time. Beyond that, I don't recall the Omega doc getting "a lot of attention." 

Which isn't to say he can't or won't be a big deal. But him getting an hour doc that replayed maybe once or twice tops isn't the height of stardom. 

Ha, and then you follow up with an ‘exaggeration’ of your own.  And a complete misquote.  Nobody is suggesting Kenny is at the height of his stardom.  I was simply suggesting that the seeds were planted here because of the doc and early buzz.  And I will not be surprised when Omega quickly becomes a huge draw here.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Are you sure there isn't at least one person hired to AEW that you wouldn't like to watch bikers pitch gravel at? 

Nope. I don't want to see any wrestler potentially blinded because of human garbage throwing gravel.