DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

38 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Depends on if he did it in the original manga or not since Ken and Ryu were doing it in 87.

Yup.. It was even done in the anime in 86.

Edit: So after watching the chair shot on the big screen at home I’ve come to conclusion there was no trick, and it was hardway. All the Shawn Spears looking at Brandi, and Audrey getting in the way made me think that it was. Although maybe it was, and Cody was supposed to blade during that little audience distraction, but realized “Fuck it, I got color already”. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Omega and Moxley is red hot but it might be a scenario where it's a match that 'doesn't need the title' and so this Page/Jericho feud is elevated because it will crown the first champion. 

I think they'll heat up Page and Jericho at Fight for the Fallen.  Jericho is scheduled to be there. 

• Like 5

Pretty good show overall.

MJF, Allin, Nyla Rose, Private Party and to a lesser extent Jungle Boy all raised their stock after tonight’s showing. On the other hand, Hangman Page and Joey Janela were outshined in their matches.

We’re all obviously really hungry to know how this huge new organisation is going to meet our wrestling needs. The thing is, how far can you draw conclusions on the future direction (presentation / booking / violence) when the show is a ‘one-off’ tie-in with a fighting game convention?

The whole conceit is a somewhat indulgent tongue-in-cheek parody of a failed festival, with Omega simultaneously playing both in-over-his-head event organiser and Akuma cosplayer. 

Or perhaps the conclusion is Tony Khan will indulge his EVP’s proclivities to the point where AEW itself lacks a solidly defined identity.

I think it’s more likely that this is a true ‘one-off’ during the promotion’s ramp up phase and was intended to be a more niche b-show than a progression of the mission statement from Double or Nothing.

Edit to add: i’d never heard of Goldenboy and was really impressed by his knowledge and professionalism, particularly when I discovered that he had never called Pro-Wrestling before.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Custos said:

Edit to add: i’d never heard of Goldenboy and was really impressed by his knowledge and professionalism, particularly when I discovered that he had never called Pro-Wrestling before.

If that isn't the best indictment for Alex Marvez  on the last show don't know what else is.  Fact I saw a few tweets from people who talked about how much better Marvez was until people don't told that it was Goldenboy  

I couldn't catch the show last night but watched it today and I was pretty impressed.  It wasn't as good as DON but I wasn't expecting it to be.

The 3-way tag on the pre-show was decent but the Nakazawa/gamer dude match was annoying, and I missed the women's match.

Daniels/CIMA was pretty decent and so was the 3-way women's match.  It gave me a chance to get familiar with some of the Japanese ladies, as admittedly it was hard to remember them all at DON.  Nyla really has a lot of presence and the 2-on-1 story through some of the match was nice.

The highlight, for me, was the Cody/Darby match, and from a storyline standpoint, this match was awesome.  The veteran Cody underestimating Allin, and not paying attention to the time limit was great.  Not to mention, Darby pinballing all the time with several unique sells and bumps.  I had no problem with the chairshot, as long as it was gimmicked but I did think it took away from the finish of the match.  They didn't put over Darby enough after the match was over.  I would have liked to have seen maybe like a handshake between the two or even just a couple extra moments of putting over the story and Allin a little.  However, they did put over the chairshot pretty well, which was good, and I'm guessing will lead to Spears/Cody at All Out.

The 6-man was pretty crazy and fun, and everyone looked great.  The Street Fighter stuff was pretty good.  The 4-way was good, and Page and MJF are obviously the future of the company.  MJF is basically the 2019 Bubba-Ray Dudley with his promos, which is cool with me.

Moxley/Janela was fun and Moxley really gave Janela a lot during the match.  Janela took most of the crazy stuff but Moxley still did some stuff that, being a former WWE star, he probably didn't have to take.  The brawl at the end was great and gave Omega his heat back.

Overall, so far, so good with this company but I'm sure we'll start to see a lot more bad stuff once they have to book 52+ shows a year, episodicly no less.

10 minutes ago, alstein said:

The first one was to pop the crowd- and it worked.   About half that crowd was there for the gaming as well.

Also from what I heard the casuals that watched it, liked it. The hardcore fans, not so much. 

I’ll say this, I think they have something with Nakazawa, but they should try it less with minor video game celebrities, and maybe do it with more mainstream celebrities in mind. But first start with local popular athletes, and then graduate to the most famous athlete under the Turner Family banner. That being noted wrestling fan, Shaquille O’Neal.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also from what I heard the casuals that watched it, liked it. The hardcore fans, not so much. 

Figured as much. If it builds a bit more buzz and gets more eyes on them then great

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Librarian stuff isn't remotely over as a comedy gimmick, but I could see it working as a heel gimmick.

Having them extol the virtue of books as a way of getting heel heat was certainly interesting.

The fact that people are saying that Janela vs Moxley was just a violence for the sake of violence match that meant nothing tells how there model of having meaningless pre-shows and trusting you follow all of the you tube shows is very flawed.    This match had a very important story if you follow indie wrestling.   Since most people don't the average viewers isn't going to know about Jon Moxley work in CZW and his crazy style and that Janela kind of replaced him on the indies by being even crazier.   Thank god for Excalibur mentioned Janela infamous bump off the building many years ago for some context.

At the very least showing the last Janela/Moxley video that combines Joey's great promo from the funeral with Mox digging I guess his grave while doing flash backs to his death matches would have worked.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

The post match angle was fine. Like I said, the chair shot didn't bother me, but the commentary constantly bringing up CTE did bother me. That just really rubbed me the wrong way.

The violence didn't bother you, but being reminded that said violence has consequences did? OK

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ll say this, I think they have something with Nakazawa, but they should try it less with minor video game celebrities, and maybe do it with more mainstream celebrities in mind. But first start with local popular athletes, and then graduate to the most famous athlete under the Turner Family banner. That being noted wrestling fan, Shaquille O’Neal.

Khan just came out and said they want to do one of these shows every year, and if Jebailey wants to perform at the shows they'll let him.  As long as Jebailey isn't a regular AEW wrestler I'm fine with it- I'd be ok with Jebailey as a heel manager though.

Edited by alstein

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

The violence didn't bother you, but being reminded that said violence has consequences did? OK

So what did you think of the show?

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If the bumps he took are usual for him, he's not gonna be working very long.

Sadly, they seem to be. I wish he would dial it back a few notches, even Will Ospreay has figured out that you don't need to kill yourself every match. Darby has so much else going for him,  he doesn't need to do the crazy shit to get over. I really hope that he tones it down before something really bad happens because I enjoy the hell out of his matches for the most part, though some of the bumps he takes hurt just to watch.

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

"Violence is golden!" - Kevin Sullivan circa 1987

• Like 1