DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Uh, so, one match in and JR refers to Japanese wrestlers as...oriental wrestlers.

That is not the preferred nomenclature. More thoughts later.

Oh yeah...the weird audio for entrance music continues. Come on people.

At least unlike at Double or Nothing JR didn't call all the Stronghearts Chinese the whole match. 

So this was a great live experience. I haven’t been to a big company wrestling event since the dreadful 2003 Armageddon. That show turned me off from seeing large events like this again for a long while. It was a mix of both the bad performances, and really bad floor seats. This time I played it safe, and got seats in the elevated seating area facing the stage. 

The building itself was exactly how I imagined it. A old sportatorium, wrapped up in a fairly new convention center. But as soon as you enter the sportatorium it’s like that scene in Demolition Man where Stallone, and Snipes end up fighting in an old city block in the middle of a museum. Painted up, but you still can tell that they’re old layers underneath. 

Onto the matches...

- Opening tag was a very nice start. Private Party were the stars as everybody was going after them to get heat. Finish surprised some people around me, because they were expecting PP to get the feel good win on their debut. But it was the right move overall to continue giving the BF’s a strong start. Makes me suspect PP might go over them in the tournament.

- Leva Vs. Allie was old school comedy. A lot of people don’t like it here, and most in attendance didn’t like it either. But I dug it a lot unsurprisingly. I like absurd stuff like this as long as it’s not in the main event.

-Nakazawa Vs. Jabailey ended up being my favorite match of the pre-show. If they ever do this again next year, then I hope Tommy Dreamer teams up with his amateur doppelgänger in a comedy tornado tag against Nakazawa & a partner of his

-Cima Vs. Chris Daniels might have been the worst match of the main by default. It wasn’t bad just very pedestrian for too old timer wrestlers. Might have been better off in a tag match, but they needed SCU in the earlier tag match to hide PP’s inexperience so they came up with this instead.

- Rose Vs. Yuka Vs. Riho was the best match at this point in the entire show. Yuka was really super over with the live crowd as the favorite. But Nyla Rose impressed me more, and I think ended up getting herself over more here than at DoN. The way she executed her offense in a very slow, and showy way was reminiscent of Daisuke Sekimoto. She lost but not without purpose. I believe they’ll probably build the division around the babyface Joshi’s, and Nyla Rose will be the monster heel looking to wreck their shit.

- MJF Vs. Jungle Boy Vs. Jimmy Havoc Vs. Adam Page was a fun chaotic 4-way. People are very right to say Jungle Boy is a superstar on the rise. Kid has this natural likable babyface presence that’s not always easy to find. MJF live was a real  treat. You know the old saying “Play to the people sitting in the back”? This guy can play to the people with his heel antics a mile away. Adam Page, and Jimmy Havic were just there. But Page did look good in the right spots. Havoc I don’t care for too much. He does have his fans though, I’ll give him that.  

-Cody Rhodes Vs. Darby Allin was my personal favorite match. Cody was definitely the most over act on the entire show, and like at DoN, he barely lifted a finger to get a response in the first 10 minutes of this. Darby is a maniac with his  wreckless bumping. That dive onto the apron got huge loud gasps in the arena. The time limit draw elicited boos but also a lot of clapping from the people live. It was the right move by Cody before taking that fucking chair shot to the head. Oh boy, if this was 1950, this would’ve gotten fainting by the women in attendance. A lot of concern from the fans around me, but I had my skepticals on throughout this looking for the slight of hand. Even so, he is his dads son, and gawd damn it a Rhodes doing something controversial to elicit a response is totally in his dads playbook.

-Lucha Bros & Laredo Kid Vs. The Elite was my 2nd favorite match of the night. Just a typical crazy fast paced trios match, but enhanced in live setting for me.

-Moxley Vs Janela was a fun crowd pleasing brawl. I got a kick out of Justin Roberts introduction. Moxley is a star, and isn’t a debate. Janela less so. They did some dangerous stuff, but those two big spots in the Cody Vs. Allin match made it look tame in comparison. Still fans loved this, and a nice way for people to leave home happy.

Loved the show, and I would go back in a heartbeat. Crossing my fingers for them to come down to Miami soon. Don’t want to make another 3 hour long drive up the coast again.

• Like 9

the most likely scenario is once Jebailey's contract with Daytona is up, he'll head back to Orlando and get a bigger event there- provided fighting games and AEW both continue to grow.

Jebailey has not been happy with the behavior of some of the Daytona Beach locals who have harassed some of the more marginalized FGC folk.  If it wasn't for that, and the tourist trap nature of the place, CEO would be the best event out there.  (I still think it is despite that!)

Edited by alstein

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Uh, so, one match in and JR refers to Japanese wrestlers as...oriental wrestlers.

Not excusing the language ... but was his reference toward CIMA? It's possible he just confused CIMA being part of the Oriental Wrestling Federation and just blurted out the term. But ... yeah, yikes. 

I’ll say this about Daytona Beach. It hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be. It’s like a suburban neighborhood mixed with a local fair next to a beach. Actually reminds me of the old South Beach before they kicked out the locals, but trashier. Still  everybody their was polite, but admittedly I didn’t venture out too far.

• Like 1

Cody/Allin match is exactly what I wanted to see. It was a brilliant match and it was an important match to put Allin over. 

I have become more impressed with Cody’s work than ever before. 

Moxley is a star and AEW is pushing him to the moon which is what they need to do at this time.

MJF is a star, a draw, a money maker and an old school wrestler which will blend in well with all the other new school wrestlers. MJF is so extremely important to AEW.

Give Jungle Boy about 6-8 months of AEW action and he will scrub off the rest of his green work and will become another young star for AEW.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was so surprised this didn't come up on my Twitter feed that I thought I'd misheard. I think JR got turned around because of the O in OWE but it wasn't good either way. Then they stumble to cover and later you can tell someone has been in Jim's ear that the word was problematic because he repeats problematic on air. They moved past it eventually but it was shaky. Even beyond the 'Grandpa said something racist' thing, the announcing was rough (JR cutting off Exaclibur to add nothing, Marvez starting sentences with no idea where he's going with them, piling on Ross for not knowing about a video game almost as old as I am, all that stuff).

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

-Moxley Vs Janela was a fun crowd pleasing brawl. I got a kick out of Justin Roberts introduction. Moxley is a star, and isn’t a debate. Janela less so. They did some dangerous stuff, but those two big spots in the Cody Vs. Allin match made it look tame in comparison. Still fans loved this, and a nice way for people to leave home happy.

Am I the only one who thought Moxley just ran through Janela? Maybe rightfully so, as they're polar opposites both in looks and in size—one just looks like a star. Maybe I was expecting too much, as the previous Cody vs. Allin match elevated Allin while keeping Cody pretty strong. 

I thought at a few points his selling (or lack of) was almost into Teddy Hart territory. Janela's on the ground for a lot of the match, just watching Moxley do his angry pace around the ring a majority of the time. I found it odd after Moxley going off on WWE for the last month or so about things being so illogical, then being set up in an 'unsanctioned' match (complete with dramatic intro!) and then just rolling through most of the hardcore spots. 

Probably nitpicking here, but I thought it was the perfect chance for Moxley to have an "epic" brawl with a guy who can really go in that situation, but it came off to me as somewhat of a squash. 

/Rant over. I loved the majority of what I saw. The six-man was bonkers. 

24 minutes ago, EricG said:

Not excusing the language ... but was his reference toward CIMA? It's possible he just confused CIMA being part of the Oriental Wrestling Federation and just blurted out the term. But ... yeah, yikes. 

He said something like "Orientals love head kicks." Or every Oriental wrestler I've ever seen likes to kick people in the head. 

For me, and I don't speak for all asians obviously, but Oriental just doesn't have any sting to it. Jap hurts because people almost always use it with malice. I rarely feel like anyone uses Oriental with bad intentions, they always go to more unsavory words when they want to hurt. JR's intentions towards the Japanese women so far has been very positive. On the last show he talked about how they have an exceptional technique because of their training system. 

I kinda feel like racism towards Asians is more done with images than words, whereas words play a very significant part in the racism towards African Americans. Oriental just feels like an old timey and outdated word and I laugh when people  use it. I don't know if there is an analogue for it for black people. Maybe negro? I don't know.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also also... I think my other favorite thing of the night was finding a flyer on my rent-a-car with an ad for the Team Vision Dojo. A wrestling school that seems to be owned by “The Living Legend” Larry  Zbyszko. Gave me a hardy chuckle.

A school run by Larry Zbyszko would be hilarious. The first thing you'd be taught is how to ask the ref for a timeout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, EricG said:

Am I the only one who thought Moxley just ran through Janela? Maybe rightfully so, as they're polar opposites both in looks and in size—one just looks like a star. 

Yeah, Mox pretty much bulldozed him in booking, and star power. All Out being the next big event didn’t give them much room to make Janela competitive, and he sadly doesn’t have the upside that Jungle Boy, or Allin have to keep him strong.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I don't think Mox looked like he was hurt the way say Foley looked. Instead Moxley just looked like he just finished working out. 

That's always been my gripe with Moxley. He sells great for the closeups, and then it'll go out the window. He did it a ton in the SHIELD. Janela did that shit too. Like the flying elbow off the ladder. They laid there for the "CARNAGE" shot and then he got up andsauntered around the corner for the next gimmick.

I just would have liked it if the hell Moxley was put through was sold differently. They hyped it as being a crazy painful, possibly life shortening match. They came through on the crazy. But it didn't feel like anything took a toll on him. He can smile about it on instagram for the promo. But when it's happening I want see the results of physical violence.

Cody took one chair shot and couldn't walk on his own.

If that sell was peppered with pain and anguish it would have been fine.  Without it, I agree, but not so horrible.  The Janela match was fine, but not sure it's best for a Main Event like Moxley to be selling so much for Janela, who is fine, good on the mic, but has the pudgy body and look (could barely keep those tights up) of an 80s WWF TV jobber.  Joey's got some charisma (and can wield a microphone) and could certainly be a legit player if he ever gets within the range of an athletic body/appearance.    

Also, that Justin Roberts crowd address, lights out, now it's unsanctioned was really senseless.

10 hours ago, jaedmc said:

The Librarian stuff was an argument FOR hiring writers.

Or perhaps they need to kick the 'writers' out of the booking room.  That librarian segment was embarrassing.  Fans seem pretty unanimous on this - interesting to see if they'll listen.  Kind of an early test of whether they do whatever they want or they listen to their audience.  

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Honestly I think my biggest problem is that the whole thing distracts from Darby—who should be a star—to put heat on a stop gap feud involving a guy with a much, much lower ceiling.

I'm new to Darby Allin.  The audience connection seems legit.  Belief in his starpower is a bit surprising, but I'd not seen him before this evening.  This match was alright, really dug the finish, but felt very disjointed along the way.  Cody has an impressive Main Event presence which continued to shine here.  I love the concern from the modern day conscious fan over that chairshot.  I agree with the concern.  I did however like that the chairshot wasn't a throw away without reason.  The shot was sold extremely well, and I'm on board to see what Shawn Spears can do on this level. 

The pre-show 3 way tag match was a lot of fun.  The Private Party really shined in their debut.  The Best Friends and SCU were excellent here.  The Dark Order promo to follow was solid, but the lights out angle, not unlike the librarians, needs to be reaccessed.  Another test for AEW creative to see if they can recognize what isn't working.  

Speaking of not working, I'm fearing the TV show is going to have a lot of BTE style comedy, and I'm not looking forward to it.  That Young Bucks attire segment wasn't far off the Librarians segment.  The Librarians segment led to the off button.  I rejoined at the start of the main show.  

Cima-Daniels was a solid opener and I look forward to Cima-Omega.  I'd love to see Cima get a good hype man/manager.  The Women's 3 way (I'm becoming a big fan of both Yuka and Riho; and want more Joshi competitors in this division) and Men's 4 way were solid.  The Young Bucks/Omega-Lucha Bros/Laredo Bros was fine if a little or lot twee. Too many choreographed ('okay everybody get ready for a 3 way superkick!!!') 'cute' spots for my tastes.  Still enjoyable, certainly lots of talent in there.

Quick note: too much 'this is an awesome match' from the commentators.  It's one thing to show excitement, that's great, but I don't need to be told and reminded that a particular match is great.  Especially if I don't actually think the match is great.      

Overall this was good.  Not great.  I think this gives the company some things to really consider even moreso than DoN.  I really hope they see that their comedy segments are better kept on youtube for the mediocre at best BTE segments.  The wrestling continues to be strong with lots of creative freedom and time and that's what's most refreshing about AEW.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I think Janela is more valuable as a creative guy and a promo than he is an actual worker.  I'm fine with Mox putting him out.  Bad Boy did some damage but Mox is one of the clear aces of the company and he's building towards a showdown with another ace. 

• Like 2

The chair was gimmicked presumably means they tried to weaken the welds holding the seat and the frame together, so the seat would come off like in Japan. But instead it gave the frame enough weft that the backrest curved over and sliced the back of his head.

Also this spellcheck knows that weft is a word in the English language. That's awesome.

I think I said after they teased Moxley vs Janella that Janella would look bad because of how in shape Moxley is. I'm not a total body guy, but I thought Janella did look really flabby and out of shape. This is a guy that should constantly be hitting the gym to look like Jericho did when Jericho was in his 20s or 30s. Instead he looks like Jericho now if Jericho didn't bother working out. 

So that took something out of the main event for me. I never once thought Moxley would lose or that Janella was a huge threat or anything just because of how Janella looked.

• Like 1

Re: Darby

I thought the body bag was there to set up an insane comeback where he fought his way out.  He's done it with handcuffs/his hands tied behind his back and it's fucking nuts.  Tope suicidas and shit with his hands behind his back.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1