DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Moxley vs Janela was a great Philly CZW style match.  Really helped put over how crazy Moxley and how different was to to Dean Ambrose.  Personally I was hoping for a more Delaware style CZW match (that can be done in Florida I believe) but that is just me.  I mean seriously if you are going to allow unprotected chair shots to the head with a hardway gusher then what is a little light tube shots

Right now the biggest problem in AEW is that their pre shows are just terrible.  The 6 man tag was really good but when the Super Smash Brothers came out then it turned into a complete mess.  I don't believe they promoted ONE match on the show.   That has to change in my opinion

Daniels vs CIMA was really sold as well as the 6 man lucha match

Thumbs up shows from 8:30 on 

• Like 2

Oh fuck, I got the bug. Now I want to go to more. Shame Jacksonville is too far for my blood. I had a great time. Only two stinkers were Cima Vs. Daniels(Which was an okay old timers match), and Leva Vs. Allie. Darby Vs. Cody was my match of the night. BTW that was neither harwdway, or a blade. That was a blood capsule. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

There were definitely more elements on this show that bothered the fuck out of me than the last one. 

Like Mox smiling at the end.

Was that any worse than Foley smiling during the HITC vs. Taker?

Moxley would seem to have the psychological edge. He's pulling Kenny Omega into his world. Omega's going to have to experience a level of violence like Janela did, except we know Janela can take it. Can Omega handle that?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Michael Nakazawa vs. what's his face in the pre-show may have been one of the worst matches I've ever seen.

The rest was perfectly serviceable wrestling. I didn't have any issues aside from the obvious head trauma concerns. I couldn't watch the replays of the chair shot Cody took, those were deeply unsettling.

I love when a show doesn't feel like it's dragging. Between the pre-show and the main show, it went almost 3 1/2 hours. It didn't feel like it at all to me.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Was that any worse than Foley smiling during the HITC vs. Taker?

Moxley would seem to have the psychological edge. He's pulling Kenny Omega into his world. Omega's going to have to experience a level of violence like Janela did. Can Omega handle that?

I just wanted him to not be awake at that point. 

I don't play the "did you like/dislike it in WWE? then you should like/dislike it in AEW" game everyone is hellbent on playing.

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I wasn't watching BTE when the "Librarian" stuff started so I don't know why a wrestling company has to have one but I really hope they drop it by the time fall comes. This stuff is not funny and really comes off as WWE-lite, to me at least. I don't think it will play well with most new audiences who check AEW out. 

Agreed, I shut it off for the rest of the preshow cause of that horrendous embarrassing cringeworthy shit. Hated it last show, just as bad this show. Not funny in the slightest and would prefer to never see Bates work again.

Rest of the show was pretty good. Womens match ended up my favorite with the finishing run being a lot of fun, liking Riho a lot. Darby doesn't do much for me although Cody looked good. But fuck trying to take shawn spears seriously as a pushed/top guy, total ugh to that move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Michael Nakazawa vs. what's his face in the pre-show may have been one of the worst matches I've ever seen.

The rest was perfectly serviceable wrestling. I didn't have any issues aside from the obvious head trauma concerns. I couldn't watch the replays of the chair shot Cody took, those were deeply unsettling.

It was a comedy match. Alex Jebailey isn't a wrestler. I think it served its purpose.

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Darby Vs. Cody was my match of the night. BTW that was neither harwdway, or a blade. That was a blood capsule. 

Curious how you determined this. I knew it wasn’t hardway because the blood was coming from the wrong side of his head. 

First time seeing Private Party and I like them. Good opener.

That Librarian shit is bad without context, I’d drop it. I like Allie but that match wasn’t much.

That Jebailey shit has no business being anywhere near this event.

CIMA/Daniels was fine. I remember when CIMA’s offence was exciting, Daniels is better. Then JR said some stuff I was distracted by that.

Some great spots for Rose but the women’s division needs some angles fast. I’m into seeing if Riho/Yuka leads somewhere.

4-way had a lot of good stuff but some awkwardness. MJF is going to wrestle for the next 80 years with his style. I like Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus now, they’ve charmed me.

Allin/Cody was something else. The bodybag spot wasn’t worth it and the time limit draw was weird, I guess I’m not used to it(?). Allin is Jeff Hardy without a Matt Hardy to wrestle half the match for him. Not sure how that’s going to work out. And I have to admit, Cody worked me for a bit there.

Main was brutal stuff. I’m not super into garbage matches but I watched this and enjoyed it so maybe I am.

Overall, great show, flew by in a good way.

Edit: Haha, I totally forgot about the 6-man between the end of the show and writing this. That tells you something but it was an entertaining retread.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't get the idea of putting a non-wrestler in a match (it's something I've never enjoyed, whether it's an indy putting the football coach as a condition to run the high school gym or whenever WCW put a celebrity in a match). It's fine if it wasn't for me.

1 minute ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Curious how you determined this. I knew it wasn’t hardway because the blood was coming from the wrong side of his head. 

Yep... Unless that chair magically hit the other side of his head. Which it didn’t because from where I was sitting in the arena, that wasn’t possible. But I didn’t see the blood capsule used. MJF coming to make the “save” distracted the crowd from seeing the slight of hand.

Just now, Stefanie the Human said:

Yeah, I don't get the idea of putting a non-wrestler in a match (it's something I've never enjoyed, whether it's an indy putting the football coach as a condition to run the high school gym or whenever WCW put a celebrity in a match). It's fine if it wasn't for me.

Well it is the story that he is usually the guy in a match with a registered sex offender that Kenny got into trouble with on the last CEO show

Loved Private Party in that opening three way. 

The Librarians suck. Felt bad for Allie trying to make something out of that. 

I don't think Nakazawa is any good, and he's wrestling a non-wrestler in a hardcore match. Terrible waste of time. 

Liked Cima-Daniels. The next multi-person matches sort of bothered me. Why have Nyla Rose as a monster who always loses? The four way where the winner gets to fight Kip Sabian made no sense. At least two of the guys in that match have been showcased as being way higher on the food chain than Sabian. He should have been trying to earn a match with Page or MJF, not vice-versa. 

Not a huge fan of Cody taking an unprotected chair shot to the head, especially to try and get fucking Shawn Spears over. Darby taking that back bump on the apron looked very hurty. Liked the story of Cody trying to bully Darby. 

Elite vs Masked Men was what I expected. Entertaining, but not something I ever need to watch again. 

Moxley vs Janela. That's the shit he needed to leave WWE to do? Holy fuck. That was a poorly executed CZW match, and Janela's rights would not stay up. 

Overall, it was a good watch. Can't  wait for Joey Ryan to take to Twitter calling Penta a homophome for calling Omega a "puto" in the middle of the ring. 

Edited by Dewar
Skipped over the Cody match

Just now, hammerva said:

Well it is the story that he is usually the guy in a match with a registered sex offender that Kenny got into trouble with on the last CEO show

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I just wanted him to not be awake at that point. 

I don't play the "did you like/dislike it in WWE? then you should like/dislike it in AEW" game everyone is hellbent on playing.

I'm not hellbent on playing any game. I asked a simple question. My concern isn't trying to sway someone's opinion. My concern is my enjoyment.

I don't think Mox looked like he was hurt the way say Foley looked. Instead Moxley just looked like he just finished working out. 

That's always been my gripe with Moxley. He sells great for the closeups, and then it'll go out the window. He did it a ton in the SHIELD. Janela did that shit too. Like the flying elbow off the ladder. They laid there for the "CARNAGE" shot and then he got up andsauntered around the corner for the next gimmick.

I just would have liked it if the hell Moxley was put through was sold differently. They hyped it as being a crazy painful, possibly life shortening match. They came through on the crazy. But it didn't feel like anything took a toll on him. He can smile about it on instagram for the promo. But when it's happening I want see the results of physical violence.

Cody took one chair shot and couldn't walk on his own.

Honestly I didn’t think the chair shot was that terrible. It wasn’t 100% full force. I don’t want to see it except for once in a great while, and they made it out to be a big deal. 

This preshow really stunk though. That’s not the way to try to get new eyeballs to watch your show at all. 

• Like 1