DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Maybe it’s because I haven’t been to a wrestling show since the ROH WM weekend double shot in 2008, but is there usually a long wait to get in to a show at this place? I’ve been standing still in line for 15 minutes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Nearly every WWE or ROH show I've ever been to has had a wait to get in EXCEPT WM 23. The only reason that's an exception was because we saw a small group of people on the 3rd or 4th floor of the parking garage attached to Ford Field. We went up there and were the first people to get into the stadium while 10s of thousands of people were lined up along the stadium outside.

Just now, Tromatagon said:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 15 minutes

Amateur

Try waiting five and a half hours to get into a Lucha Underground taping 

UUUUUUUUGH! The 3 hours driving to this place was easier.

Just saw Orange Cassidy stroll on by me in a Dream Team(Beefcake & Valentine) t-shirt. Nobody else recognized him, and I hate publicly idolizing wrestlers so I didn’t bother saying hi, or maybe I’m too lazy to say hi.

The Buy-In is live on YouTube now. Only it's just a logo and silence.

EDIT: Because it's not supposed to start until half past. OK.

Edited by AxB

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Buy-In is live on YouTube now. Only it's just a logo and silence.

Starts at 7:30

Nothing is happening inside the arena yet. Fans are filing in.

Was almost tempted to buy a Dustin Rhodes shirt right now. But there is too long of a line in merch.

56 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

UUUUUUUUGH! The 3 hours driving to this place was easier.

Just saw Orange Cassidy stroll on by me in a Dream Team(Beefcake & Valentine) t-shirt. Nobody else recognized him, and I hate publicly idolizing wrestlers so I didn’t bother saying hi, or maybe I’m too lazy to say hi. 

Did he have his hands in his pockets?

Edited by Robert s
  • Haha 2

For DoN, the replay wasn't available on BR Live until Sunday morning and 8 or 9 am. I'm hoping this one is available right away since I have a dinner thing to go to.

1 minute ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Excited for Allin vs Cody and Moxley vs Janela.

I got a good feeling Cody is putting over Darby Allin in a massive way tonight. Possible star will be born for Allin among the broader wrestling fan base. We shall see shortly.

If it’s as good as Mox Vs. Darby, then definitely.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 15 minutes

Amateur

Try waiting five and a half hours to get into a Lucha Underground taping 

7 hours for ECW.

4 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I really hope that Moxley and Janela brawl towards these models and send them scurrying in "fear." The way they are stationed to appear so bored and over this event is begging for that spot. 

i would be fine with Nyla Rose beating the shit out of both of them.  They certainly don't look like indies wrestlers pretending to be bikini models

Holy shit that one guy has one of the loudest shrieks from a man I have ever heard .  Ned Landers level 

Edited by hammerva

I wasn't watching BTE when the "Librarian" stuff started so I don't know why a wrestling company has to have one but I really hope they drop it by the time fall comes. This stuff is not funny and really comes off as WWE-lite, to me at least. I don't think it will play well with most new audiences who check AEW out. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

That match was fantastic. Why isn't the thread locked? The show is happening.

You're right. It was a really fun match. Crowd kinda shat on the Dark Order stuff it seemed. 

Nice dig at Brandy "watching television from a sensible angle" by the commentary team. 

This will be my last post. I forgot about the ongoing show rule. Sorry, admins!

• jaedmc locked this topic

Locked till the show is over. 

When the show is over, I'll reopen and you can discuss.

If you get shitty with each other I'll give ALL parties involved a week off. As you may have seen in the first June catch-all thread I don't care how long you've been a member.

So don't start none and don't take the bait.

NOT THE SOCKS!!!!

On one hand, they kinda fucked Darby Allin getting a draw with Cody getting blasted by spears. They didn't mention Darby again once Spears hit the ring.

On the other hand, Cody set him up for a good old fashioned heel beat down, and I just could not get behind Darby. I didn't know what the fuck he was doing. By the end, it felt like he wasn't making comebacks, he was just setting up Cody to cut him off. Nothing was clear. If he simplifies his shit, he could be a Jeff Hardy type. 

I'm fine with Cody taking a headshot with the chair. I don't love it, and i don't want to see it more than once a year. But I thought Darby's bumps were more detrimental to his well being than that one chair shot was to Cody's brain. That apron bump was bad.

Other stuff.

Jungle Boy's crazy gymnastics moonsault was cool, but I'm horrified as to what happens if he doesn't get enough spin.

The tag match in the pre-show was good. TRENT was great.

I hope they keep Goldenboy. Thought he was effective at helping tell stories. Goldenboy and Excaliber two man would be ideal. JR was fine though.

• jaedmc unlocked this topic

The six man was fun.  I actually dug a 3 way- with Riho going over.  I loved the moment where MJF and Page faced off.  Felt big time.  Darby Allin came off as Lee Scott 5000.

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I wasn't watching BTE when the "Librarian" stuff started so I don't know why a wrestling company has to have one but I really hope they drop it by the time fall comes. This stuff is not funny and really comes off as WWE-lite, to me at least. I don't think it will play well with most new audiences who check AEW out. 

The context is lost on new fans, most definitely. It’s one of those hold overs from BTE that doesn’t translate unless you follow it.

And it’s meant to be WWE lite - the entire gimmick was created because “Tony Khan wants gimmick wrestlers”.

But it’s weird that the other gimmick workers they have, The Dark Order, actually do theirs pretty well (even though the crowds still don’t respond).