DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Um... every WrestleMania?

Interesting...It's almost like they're really forgettable or no one or few even make a comment about them.

This opening video will be just as forgettable.

• Like 1

Just kill me now if every aew thread is going to be the same three or four critics going back and forth with Craig about minutiae. 

"SEE! THIS IS JUST LIKE WWE AND YOU GUYS HATE WWE! HYPOCRITES!" 

"That thing that is a thing really isn't a thing." 

Maybe once the weekly show starts we can move on with our lives? 

• Like 1

K, watched the video. It was a fine hype piece but they do need to cut out the stilted verbosity real quick before it becomes a thing. Comparing it to wwe is a bit much because literally everybody at all times is overly wordy and is forced to use ridiculous trademarked nicknames and company jargon. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Just kill me now if every aew thread is going to be the same three or four critics going back and forth with Craig about minutiae. 

Eh, I shouldn't have taken the bait, but it's annoying to see the same people keep talking the same shit or keep making false equivalencies or keep making comments without even watching the thing. I should let it go and just roll my eyes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I love those WrestleMania videos.  It's the shit where the production team puts something really cool together and makes you kinda forget "hey,  this feud actually sucked" 

Yeah, I have no doubt they could put together a video to make this Shane McMahon heel run look good.

The one guy who does it better is David Sahadi. I was hoping he'd get signed by AEW, but at the same time, it's nice he's with MLW. The more promotions that put out cool shit the better.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, I have no doubt they could put together a video to make this Shane McMahon heel run look good.

The one guy who does it better is David Sahadi. I was hoping he'd get signed by AEW, but at the same time, it's nice he's with MLW. The more promotions that put out cool shit the better.

They're not miracle workers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Once the weekly TV starts, we'll have entire shows to criticize. There'll definitely be less slap fights over dissenting opinions on short videos.

And if it's difficult to find specific memories of criticism WWE's received over their own overwrought voice-over nonsense, it's probably because those videos are followed by ten hour slogs that beat the humour out of us and make our eyes bleed. There's plenty of other stuff to talk shit about when the videos are accompanied by actual shows. 

Something we can all look forward to with AEW! 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Once the weekly TV starts, we'll have entire shows to criticize. There'll definitely be less slap fights over dissenting opinions on short videos.

And if it's difficult to find specific memories of criticism WWE's received over their own overwrought voice-over nonsense, it's probably because those videos are followed by ten hour slogs that beat the humour out of us and make our eyes bleed. There's plenty of other stuff to talk shit about when the videos are accompanied by actual shows. 

Something we can all look forward to with AEW! 

I thought about that too, the whole thing where no one comments on the videos because they're followed by immensely long shows and so you don't even remember the videos. We talked about that before about how there's not as many memorable video packages and I think you may have pointed some out that actually have aired recently. Like, we all know they're there, we just can't remember them.

I guess my hope is that shows as long as DoN aren't there norm because that shit will get old really fast. It makes everything less memorable when you get into hour number 4 of a PPV. It worked for DoN because it was the first show, but if every PPV is like that, then they will have learned nothing.

At the same time, if the PPVs are shorter then I'm not sure I want even more videos. I like how Impact or NJPW does it today. Let your announcers convey some of the story.

Some great joke tweets about lack of water, toilet paper, and gear not arriving since Kenny never finished watching the Fyre Festival documentary and missed the disaster portion.

It's smart, if anything really does get fucked up they can say it's part of the angle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I spent a good chunk of my work day today telling my co-workers about the show tonight and trying to get a bunch of them to come over and watch. My lack of central air combined with someone wanting to run a D&D session is shutting that down but a few of them did sign up for B/R Live and we have a group chat going so that's a plus. I just bought a bunch of Chex Mix and am watching some of the matches from around the world that have been hyped recently. Should be a fun night of wrestling viewing, as long as my recent close-opens don't catch up with me. I started today most hyped for the Moxley/Janela match. I just watched that El Hijo Del Vikingo/Laredo Kid match and that pushed my interest in the Bucks & Omega/Lucha Bros. & Laredo Kid match up. Would love to see El Hijo Del Vikingo in his spot because I came away from the match more impressed with him (outside of that leg sell that went nowhere. I mean, wtf? I at least thought we'd get a great rudo fakeout from it.) but from what I've read he has visa issues at the moment. Hopefully that gets sorted out and we can get him on some AEW shows soon. I'd like to see him and Jungle Boy. What are some Jungle Boy matches I should check out? This is all kind of word salad ramblings and I apologize but I'm sleep deprived and getting loopy. 

• Like 3