DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Could you explain the appeal of the video to you? I really feel like I'm out of touch. 

For starters, it's very well produced and not in an overly slick and sterilized way. I like their VP of Business Ops, the Dijak looking guy, explaining the reason behind Fight for the Fallen, why it's important to them, why they feel it's important to the community because of the Madden tournament shooting, etc. The training video with Brandi was neat and not something you see a lot of outside of AEW where they get into watching tapes on her opponent and giving kayfabe reasons for training. Hangman cuts a good, angry promo that says more in about a minute than others spend 5 to 20 minutes on trying to say the same thing. And finally the entire breakdown for the Rhodes vs Bucks tag match is really well done with Roberts and Tony giving their opinions on why the match matters, what the Bucks need to look out for, what the Rhodes need to look out for, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Craig H said:

Over/under on how many florescent light tubes get broken?

I know it's an "unsanctioned match", and both have or have had a rep as "death match guys", but I don't see it getting to the point of light tubes.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know it's an "unsanctioned match", and both have or have had a rep as "death match guys", but I don't see it getting to the point of light tubes.

Oh, I know. I was just joking.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Isn't this moving the goalposts a bit? 18 days is more of a significant chunk of time than the three you originally thought it was. That gives them over two weeks to promote or advertise when and where to watch the Evolve show, which will be on against a charity show. I don't think anyone really gives a crap if it was just any other ordinary show, but they've wanted to hold this show for victims of gun violence for awhile now.

EDIT: Also, this isn't even the 10 year anniversary for Evolve. Their first show was in January 2010. So the number of the show, 131, is an irrelevant number and it's not an anniversary for anything.

I got the shows mixed up. Wasn't intentionally trying to move any goalposts. 

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The training video with Brandi was neat and not something you see a lot of outside of AEW where they get into watching tapes on her opponent and giving kayfabe reasons for training.

I liked the video as a whole, but if I'm nitpicking (and I guess I am), I thought her training segment was a little too "learning how to work" and not enough "learning how to fight." We don't need to see her working on her leg-slapping while the kick visibly misses. Still, I think you could do the same sort of video with someone who just executes better--the one WWE did with Sasha learning submissions with Drew Gulak comes to mind--and have it work great, so I like the idea.

Edited by Beech27

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

I liked the video as a whole, but if I'm nitpicking (and I guess I am), I thought her training segment was a little too "learning how to work" and not enough "learning how to fight." We don't need to see her working on her leg-slapping while the kick visibly misses. Still, I think you could do the same sort of video with someone who just executes better--the one WWE did with Sasha learning submissions with Drew Gulak comes to mind--and have it work great, so I like the idea.

I mean, my main nitpick from the video is just Brandi. Out of everything, I'm not thrilled with her wrestling because out of everyone, I think she may be the worst on the roster. I like her more as a heel valet or manager than an in ring performer. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

For starters, it's very well produced and not in an overly slick and sterilized way. I like their VP of Business Ops, the Dijak looking guy, explaining the reason behind Fight for the Fallen, why it's important to them, why they feel it's important to the community because of the Madden tournament shooting, etc. The training video with Brandi was neat and not something you see a lot of outside of AEW where they get into watching tapes on her opponent and giving kayfabe reasons for training. Hangman cuts a good, angry promo that says more in about a minute than others spend 5 to 20 minutes on trying to say the same thing. And finally the entire breakdown for the Rhodes vs Bucks tag match is really well done with Roberts and Tony giving their opinions on why the match matters, what the Bucks need to look out for, what the Rhodes need to look out for, etc.

Fair enough and thanks for the explanation. 

Explaining the reasoning behind the show is fine. 

The Brandi thing was fine, but I've seen enough training montages in my life not to be blown away watching her learn to wrestle.

The Page promo was what it was. It's better than long Raw promos, but the bar shouldn't be that low. Since we're over-analyzing literally everything as we wait for the TV show, that did nothing to quell my worries about him as a top guy.

Last half of the video was the "vets talk about a major upcoming match" thing I've seen a million times from WWE. But it's nice to see Tony on a major wrestling product again.

I don't know, man. I'm as excited for this as anyone, but "best shit in the United States"? For this basic stuff? At least with MLW, I get weekly wrestling shows with my hyperbole. 

Sexy Star obviously but she had to have full matches retaped because she sucked so bad.

Also the Rabbit Tribe didn't do so well in their untelevised ninja gimmicks because they kept slipping around in the ring gear.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

The Luchasaurus is on the roster she's not close to worst.

This is true but at least just due to his size alone they are going to get some mileage out of the novelty tag team with and betrayal of Jungle Boy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

This is true but at least just due to his size alone they are going to get some mileage out of the novelty tag team with and betrayal of Jungle Boy. 

More like the betrayal of Luchasaurus. 

I got money on Jungle Boy joining MJF, and becoming City Boy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

More like the betrayal of Luchasaurus. 

I got money on Jungle Boy joining MJF, and becoming City Boy.

To further this angle, they could do an angle where MJF and City Boy blind Luchasaurus and rename him Doyouthinkhesaurus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 6/27/2019 at 12:24 PM, Tromatagon said:

The Luchasaurus is on the roster she's not close to worst.

I don’t know much about him but he was one of the few bright spots in that freak show of a Battle Royal. I liked his double team spots with Jungle Boy and their comedy stuff on BTE is good stuff. 

Im also in favor of City Boy or Urban Boy pairing up with MJF once this team runs its course. “Remember when you teamed with Luchasuckass, City Boy?”

Edited by Bill S. Preston ESQ.