DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

Is ROH still considered a dream match promotion?  Didn’t they just give us Lethal/Taven for an hour?  Who’s dream is that? 

Or are we talking about going back in time to ROH circa 2002-2004?  (If so, sign me the fuck up.)

Well, I mean, yeah, RoH literally started as a Dream Match promotion that Gabe started booking a strong undercard to bring people back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Is ROH still considered a dream match promotion?  Didn’t they just give us Lethal/Taven for an hour?  Who’s dream is that? 

Or are we talking about going back in time to ROH circa 2002-2004?  (If so, sign me the fuck up.)

I wouldn't say ROH has been a dream match promotion since Gabe days. 

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

How is it convoluted? Tony said on Austin's podcast that some teams would compete for a first round bye. This at least places some stakes on a match on an otherwise meaningless show.

Plus, holy shit. Best Friends vs SCU vs Private Party? Fuck yeah! 

Let's go Dustin and Greg or GTFO.

I mean you get a free pass into the second round and more time to rest after the tournament starts.

So are the reports I've read that Fyter Fest and Fight For The Fallen haven't sold out yet accurate? Any idea why that could be if the All Out sell out shows there's obviously demand for AEW. The cards look pretty decent so far, is it just held somewhere harder to get to? Just struggling to balance the two. 

46 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

So are the reports I've read that Fyter Fest and Fight For The Fallen haven't sold out yet accurate? Any idea why that could be if the All Out sell out shows there's obviously demand for AEW. The cards look pretty decent so far, is it just held somewhere harder to get to? Just struggling to balance the two. 

Both are in Daytona, and Jacksonville. Not major metropolitans, and wrestling hotbeds. I think this is where not having TV right now might hurt them in these towns.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I can't speak for Fight for the Fallen, but for Fyter Fest, it's an issue of the venue they're at. They're putting on Fyter Fest at CEO, which is a fighting game event. Kenny is friends with the organizer of the event and last year he helped put on a wrestling show there. Ticket sales for this are better than they were last year, but there isn't that crossover appeal and I'd imagine people don't want to both pay to get into a fighting game convention and also pay to go to Fyter Fest.

• Like 2

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Actually looking at Ticket Master. Only seven section are available. They might be able to get some walk-ups on show night.

For Fyter Fest? I wouldn't be surprised. I would imagine the same will probably be true for Fight for the Fallen.

4 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

So are the reports I've read that Fyter Fest and Fight For The Fallen haven't sold out yet accurate?

Did they actually put Fight for the Fallen tickets on sale already? Because they never announced it at all. Maybe that's the key to a quick sell out: Hype the on sale date ahead of time and people will rush to not miss out. Don't announce it, and they won't know if they are even available or not.

It may be because I'm an idiot, but it took me until a couple weeks ago to realize that Fight for the Fallen and Fyter Fest were actually separate shows, and even that took me being confused how Kenny Omega was wrestling CIMA and in that 6 man tag match on the same show.

But really ... similar names, both in Florida, practically identical color schemes isn't exactly making it easy.  

I’m honestly contemplating about either watching this free, or renting a vehicle to  go up to Daytona to watch it. I’ve never been to that area of Florida, so it would be interesting. But Daytona is so unknown to me. I have this feeling it’s like Sturgis, and I won’t be accepted. I know the feeling when I get called to work in Ocala I get the sense I’m not welcome. I don’t feel like being in that  atmosphere if I have a choice. So I think I might end up waiting for them to make it down near Broward, and Miami-Dade to watch it live some day. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m honestly contemplating about either watching this free, or renting a vehicle to  go up to Daytona to watch it. I’ve never been to that area of Florida, so it would be interesting. But Daytona is so unknown to me. I have this feeling it’s like Sturgis, and I won’t be accepted. I know the feeling when I get called to work in Ocala I get the sense I’m not welcome. I don’t feel like being in that  atmosphere. So I think I might end up waiting for them to make it down near Broward, and Miami-Dade to watch it live some day. 

For Fyter Fest?  Considering it's at a gaming convention I would like to think it won't have a Sturgis vibe to it.  And considering how diverse the gaming fandom is I would also like to think it'll be a pretty accepting atmosphere.

Then again the more I read about how shitty Daytona is I wouldn't blame you for passing on this.  Maybe if you're able to dart in and out of the show you can bypass most of the bullshit.  I would at least hope CEO attendees aren't shitty but can't say for certain about that.

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Daytona is pretty tourist heavy. Why do you think you wouldn't be welcomed?

Just the general vibe I get for being a Hispanic man in central Florida. I know Daytona is a tourist destination, but I don’t believe you get the majority of people like me from my neck of the woods hanging out in Daytona like you would in say a Disney, or Universal. 

Edit: Not to say the people in attendance are like that, but it can feel like that in that area of Florida.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

One is billed as a major PPV featuring their first ever title match and Omega vs Moxley. The other two have the vibe of being supplemental shows. Plus the local market quirks previously mentioned. 

Regardless, that Dustin/Cody vs Bucks match is going to be so good. 

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would at least hope CEO attendees aren't shitty but can't say for certain about that.

Have you seen video game forums?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Just the general vibe I get for being a Hispanic man in central Florida. I know Daytona is a tourist destination, but I don’t believe you get the majority of people like me from my neck of the woods hanging out in Daytona like you would in say a Disney, or Universal. 

Edit: Not to say the people in attendance are like that, but it can feel like that in that area of Florida.

Ah I get what you're saying. I don't picture anything out of the big cities in Florida as being very cultured lol. But it not like your staying there for a week. Have a couple meals, watch the show, and sleep in your hotel, and leave. And I'm sure the actual AEW crowd will be diverse and cool...that's where you will have the most interactions.