DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I'm sure New Japan would love to use Moxley in Dallas, but we have no reason to believe they're angry. He got their biggest youtube numbers by far, will elevate Umino, Juice, and whomever he has buzzworthy matches with. Money well spent, so far; and probably money well spent if it never goes beyond those items. And I haven't seen any New Japan fans grumpy about or rooting against AEW, honestly; and there are plenty of folks in this thread I recognize from my time in the Japan folder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

. And I haven't seen any New Japan fans grumpy about or rooting against AEW, honestly; and there are plenty of folks in this thread I recognize from my time in the Japan folder.

If you levy any criticism at them, you're against them.  It's the "all or nothing" mentality where people equate criticism to hate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm not sure how reliable Voices of Wrestling is, but they say Juice Robinson isn't the only New Japan talent that's unhappy working in Ring Of Honor - apparently he's one of many NJPW talents that feels working ROH shows hurts their appeal now (and thus he's not being booked going forward in ROH, and nobody is sure about Finlay when he returns from injury). If that's true, and talent there feels it's damaging their US reputations, add that with what @Beech27 said about TNT exposure vs AXS and not being able to us Omega, Jericho or Moxley outside of Japan and it's going to be really interesting come later this year/2020.

With all that talent in NJPW right now, some guys are going to run into a glass ceiling.  I could see some defections to AEW from NJPW- not of the pushed guys, but some solid folks.  My gut says SANADA jumps if he isn't pushed soon because of his desire to work in the US and English speaking skills.

As for how an alliance with AEW would work- it would be mostly special appearances, and AEW stars doing NJC/BOSJ/G1 and tours between being featured.  Allows for rotation of talent and fresh matchups for both.  Also excursions for young lions.  What you wouldn't get is ROH jobbing out their champs to Henare (you know they'd give Henare the TV belt if they could)

Edited by alstein

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

How is it convoluted? Tony said on Austin's podcast that some teams would compete for a first round bye. This at least places some stakes on a match on an otherwise meaningless show.

It's a chance to win a chance to win a first round buy. It's at least a little bit convoluted.

40 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Is anyone saying that they are pissed? Most of the annoyed people are fans who wanted to see Mox in Dallas. NJPW never promised that he'd be on Dallas show anyway.

They released a statement saying they have no affiliation with aew and they had been negotiating with Moxley for awhile, and the gm made what I read as a passive aggressive comment along the lines of “we think he is still able to work in japan.” It seems for sure they were caught off guard by his aew debut. 

Edit: after re-reading the statement it doesn’t seem that passive aggressive and maybe I’m just reading too much into it. The companies definitely aren’t on super friendly terms though. 

"New Japan and Jon Moxley came to terms on an agreement some time ago, completely independently of All Elite. Our understanding is that he is free to wrestle in Japan. We wish AEW well, but have no working relationship as of now."

Edited by matt925

8 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

It's a chance to win a chance to win a first round buy. It's at least a little bit convoluted.

I think they should have simply called this qualifying match or something like that. Because now, in theory, SCU can lose this, but still get into tournament, win their first match and be at same exact spot as the winner of the bye who'd need to win two matches.

I mean, I doubt that they'll do tourney proper without Best Friends or SCU.

It's really weird.  If you figure they have a bye because they don't have an even number of teams you'd also figure that means they only have seven teams, but they have more than seven teams.  I sure as fuck don't think they have 15 teams and need a bye for a lack of 16.

I've got:
Young Bucks, Lucha Bros, SCU as a tag team, Best Friends, Private Party, Dark Order, Jack and Angelico, Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, a couple of OWE dudes?  Cody and Dustin?  That's 10 teams at a stretch but 8 teams for sure.   

Unless you go with my first 8 but the Lucha Bros aren't in it because they're AAA champs.  That's seven teams.

Edited by Tromatagon

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I dunno. If all the teams are in the tournament, what's the point of "win this match so you don't have a first round match"? ?

I think it will have more to do with all of the teams not being included. I mean, if I could win a match to not have to bother with the first round, I would take it. Ultimately, that's the biggest benefit even if all teams are involved. You can take that first round off. For example, if Greg and Dustin win, like they fucking should, then I would want them being fresher for the remaining rounds. Hell, they could have the opportunity of facing SCU or Private Party and either of those two teams will theoretically be more worn down going into their match again the Best Friends.

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I dunno. If all the teams are in the tournament, what's the point of "win this match so you don't have a first round match"? ?

It's not even that, you have to win a match in order to wrestle another match to determine if you get a first round bye.

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

It's not even that, you have to win a match in order to wrestle another match to determine if you get a first round bye.

The point remains the same. You get to wrestle one less match on the way to the championship if you get the bye. That's all that matters.

I see no reason for New Japan to actually codify an alliance with AEW. They can get Jericho, Omega, and Moxley if they want to. And any alliance would be a mess with each company's lucha alliances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I think it is. If AEW wants a relationship, they have to withhold something of value for now. New Japan will decide, in time, whether TNT exposure is worth complicating their relationship with AXS, whether AEW is worth leaving ROH, what Kenny/Moxley/Jericho are worth stateside, etc. I'm more curious to see how it goes than invested in any specific outcome, to be honest.

I need that Golden Lovers match on the big stage. I otherwise agree. That's my primary reason I hope AEW and NJPW work together. And the tag matches and other fun shit you could run like Hiromu vs. Fenix and Taichi vs. Pentagon. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Also,  put me in the camp who doesn't care whether AEW has a working relationship with NJPW.  It'd be cool for little talent exchanges but I feel a lot of the matches become too predictable.  Of course Okada is going to beat Jericho at a New Japan show or of course the Bucks are going to beat the Lucha Bros. at DON but then lose at the AAA show.  They are fun matches but I don't like being 100% sure of the outcome all the time. 

As far as AEW working with NJPW, the longer they leave it, the more it means. Wasn't Hangman Page in the G-1 2018? If they start working together this year, it's not a big deal, it's a return to status quo, almost. If it happens in two or three years, that's a big deal.

Dream matches aren't dream matches if nobody had time to dream about them. Omega vs Ibushi in 2021 or 2022 is better for business than it happening in seven months or less.

• Like 3

I would have to agree.  The quicker they get to being another dream match promotion, the quicker they become ROH with a better roster.  I’m concerned they are burning through matches in other promotions as it is.  I would like to see them take influences from other places and try to add to their super match fans rather than simply placate them over and over. 

Is ROH still considered a dream match promotion?  Didn’t they just give us Lethal/Taven for an hour?  Who’s dream is that? 

Or are we talking about going back in time to ROH circa 2002-2004?  (If so, sign me the fuck up.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1