DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

On the latest BTE Cima expressed his interest in a match with Christopher Daniels. I know they have a card to fill at the end of the month but I’d like to see them build that one for All Out.

The story of two long time friends with parallel careers on different sides of the globes having a match to see who the better one is would play out crazy o  front of that Chicago crowd where everyone knows both men’s careers fairly well.

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

Just because I remember off the top of my head, summerslam 2013 did 190k buys. That was a big disappointment, but still that’s not a ton more buys. 

I think that's true but I'm talking about the shows like battleground that were doing slightly above 100k. We have to keep in mind this is a promotion that just started it's a good starting point for them for sure.

The Observer also notes that one of the most striking takeaways from the PPV numbers is the lack of crossover between those ordering WWE PPVs on TV (those few who still do) and those who ordered DoN on PPV. Only 2-3% of those WWE buyers also ordered DoN. 

Even if you take into account that PPV buyers (as opposed to Network watchers) may be more set in their ways or less aware of the wider wrestling scene, that still suggests a severe lack of penetration into the WWE fan base for the debut show.

Edit to add: the comparison was specifically against those 15,700 folks who ordered MITB this year

Edited by Custos

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ohhhhh, this fuckin' TNT Drama twitter account...

It's also really surprising how much TNT is getting behind AEW.

Well TV reporter Tony Maglio said in an interview Turner was looking to get into the wrestling game for quite a long time way before All-In was a thing. So they were ready to get behind something as long as it was the right thing.

Also $5 says we get a teaser trailer next year, and maybe a finished product in 2021.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The only people working on wrestling games at the moment are Yukes/2K and Spike, although I don't even know if you can really even include Spike anymore. While there was that report that Yukes was creating another team to make a different wrestling game, if it's something for a US release, there's no way it isn't a WWE game. So that means someone is going to have to build one from the ground up. Plus, looking at 2021 means looking at development for next gen systems, so 2021 would be extremely optimistic for any sort of release.

I'd bet on there being no game at all unless AEW sees any kind of success for at least two or three years.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Tony Khan can buy the rights to Fire Pro and put an AEW logo on it. 

I think the people at Spike would be doing backflips for that.

• Like 1

AEW Revenge is going to kill my relationship, I know it. I'm totally gonna lose my job.

Oddly, I actually came to the thread to make another WCW suggestion: I'm watching a Nitro from Sept 97 right now, and how freakin great are these little Mike Tenay Lucha mini-docs? I ate em up as a kid and I'm even more into them now.  I wouldn't mind something along those lines for AEW, not just with international talent, but some of the American indies. I could totally see Excalibur doing one of these outside like, the PWG VFW Hall, the Hammerstein, ECW Arena, Elks Lodge, the JAPW building, etc. I think it could really help introduce some of those talents to a larger audience. Like, Chuck Taylor is fantastic, but to have him doing something like that, in a dark, smoky Chikara Wrestle factory talking about how he almost left the business, and this is his shot? Thats real 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Tony Khan can buy the rights to Fire Pro and put an AEW logo on it. 

Giant Gram 2000 was only nineteen years ago, the whole team can't have retired yet. Or King of Colosseum. Just don't get the guys who made that TNA Impact game. Who made Def Jam Fight for New York?

I feel like with them teasing an AKI AEW game twice now that they should seriously just get the AKI crew back up in this bitch and do a modern take on a classic.

Also, I really hope we get AEW Bash at the Beach in August or next summer. Didn't Cody end up getting the trademark?

• Like 1

Okay, hold on, wait a minute! Kenny tweeted Syn Sophia in February asking them to follow him if they like as he had something to discuss. Then they followed him. ?

AKI/Syn Sophia has been most well known for making a series of fashion-based sim games for the DS/3DS called Style Savvy that look like this

61NUcmQaUwL._AC_SX215_.jpg

This might seem like a terrible fall from grace for a developer who's wrestling games became such touchstones for the fanbase, but the series' three games on the 3DS have Metacritic scores of 76/78/80 in a genre that isn't exactly built for critical success. The demographic might have completely shifted but these people are still makes very good games. And I'm gonna guess Kenny owns a least one of them...

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Also, as much as I love the fantasy booking and custom fed/arena building, the WWE2K games are the drizzling shits on a technical level. Awful graphics for a current gen game, and everything is broken- there's literally shit that never worked in any of them, and yet the features are still there. Perfect timing for AEW to put out something cool. Honestly I'd pay $30 for a bare bones remaster of a WCWVTW/Revenge/WM2000/No Mercy type game w AEW guys, with straight up N64/PSX graphics.

• Like 4