DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Custos said:

I don’t think NJPW need AEW and I totally agree with New Japan being awesome right now. I still think that specifically  an Omega return, especially with his history with Ibushi and how prominently he is being showcased, would be a genuine draw for a big show.

True, but then it would still be best to wait until Ibushi is maybe IWGP champion.

• Like 2

Even if for some reason you don't care about exposure for present and future stars on top of NJPW World subs, what is going to do better business: a joint show with ROH or AEW? Nofuture raised a good question though in would NJPW be willing to do business with a company that ain't going to wear a gimp suit for them? 

As for those talking about what a betrayal this all was, first, they didn't owe anybody shit. Second, they tried to arrange some sort of agreement almost immediately after the announcement. We don't know what those negotiations sounded like but it's not as if AEW said fuck you and started running shows in Tokyo. 

• Like 2

Better business in terms of subs for NJPW World? It’s probably not a huge difference at this point on account of the overlap in fans both brands share in the west. In the future? Who knows. Sky could be the limit. We’ll see. 

In regards to butts in seats for joint shows? Sure, Kenny and the Bucks will draw a bigger house than Matt Taven. But why does every thread need to be about how much he sucks? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The idea of leaving money of the table is spoken about so freely these days that the expression has pretty much been robbed of meaning. 

True. I said that there is extra money to be made on both sides were it not for NJPW pride, and I don’t think that is a controversial statement. 

Between the mixing of top guys and helping to round out New Japan’s weak tag division I do think there is something to offer. And I think we shouldn’t underestimate the combination of buzzworthiness and extra exposure on TNT. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

The main question is does New Japan want to be the dominant one in partnership with ROH or do they want to deal with AEW how would have a lot more say in the relationship.  Does AEW really need New Japan?

Re: UWFi and all that

You had one rival upstart company that was super hot to the point where they were even on PPV in an era where everyone wasn't on PPV and got braggadocious enough to call out top wrestlers in other companies for being fake. Once they started to cool off and had no new stars to speak of, it got crucial really fast. New Japan isn't as hot as they were in the mid 90s, but it makes sense to have a wait and see approach. The thing about the ROH relationship is while the company is lukewarm, their relationship isn't one that would hurt New Japan. NJ could use the exposure on TNT, but the TNT deal is exactly why you have to be cautiously optimistic. All publicity isn't the best publicity. At least with WCW, there had been something there going back to the NWA days. Fast forward ten years later, it's Jushin Liger losing to a tequila bottle. Once you start dealing with companies that have a big enough platform, you have to think about the imprint that might be left working with them. If AEW's booking philosophy months from now clashes with Gedo's booking philosophy and their business is erratic or unpredictable, it makes no sense for New Japan to work with them. However, if everything goes smoothly, the booking is somewhat logical, and business stays at a steady, consistent, and reliable pace where AEW is doing decent ratings and houses at the very least, it makes all the sense in the world for New Japan to start a working relationship with AEW. But to just rush in for exposure sake in North America ASAP,  it makes no sense. They're not that hard up for attention to do that. Japan is doing well enough so they won't have to be desperate. Wait and see what they (AEW) might accomplish over the next 12 to 18 months before you make any big decisions like that. I'm not saying you can't have one or two guys magically show up at a Wrestle Kingdom or Dominion event, but a real relationship requires a bit of research, analysis, vetting, and examination. I'm going trust New Japan on this one until they do something egregious otherwise.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I guess the TNT Countdown to All Out show tonight is great if you haven't watched any of the Youtube video.  But I have seen most of them already so I watch maybe about 20 minutes of it.    It is amazing to me how much better a promo Brandi Rhodes is than her husband.  Maybe it is a good thing that he is only training for the big match.    And man they love showing that unprotected chair shot because it must have been shown over a dozen times.  

Also the slow motion black background thing really does highlight the dorkiness of the Young Bucks and the Mickey Rourke The Wrestler look of Jericho now.

I don't know if the Jim Ross/Adam Page interview is new or not but I didn't think it made Page look like a superstar.   At least compared to Jericho who did cut a really good promo.  Also the concept that Page has to win because this is his only chance or it is back to the tobacco farm was just goofy to people who know better

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

The main question is does New Japan want to be the dominant one in partnership with ROH or do they want to deal with AEW how would have a lot more say in the relationship.  Does AEW really need New Japan?

Is New Japan really in a relationship with Ring of Honor anymore?  I mean maybe in Ring of Honor's mind or hope every time they go to bed but seems like New Japan has seen the titanic that is Ring of Honor and turning away.  Except for GOD when was the last new Japan guys on Ring of Honor that doesn't also work in CMLL?  

So tonight on TNT, they aired a special on All Out going over the main matches. Mostly Cody/Spears and Hangman/Jericho. I have only seen like one AEW match so I'm not that plugged into the angles and stuff. I thought they did a great job on Cody vs Spears. The Spears interview with JR was really good. I had my doubts after the chair shot that they could tell the story but I was wrong and they hit a home run with the backstory. And it's great that Tully Blanchard will be on tv in 2019.

I thought the Hangman stuff was pretty laughable. I know people here hate Seth Rollins but I sensed a lot of similarities between the two.  Hangman's interview was very Seth like and just sounded fake. I'm guessing he's winning the title which I guess is better than Omega winning it. Speaking of Omega, I thought out of all the executive vice presidents, he sounded the best and most professional. I"m sad that he vs Mox isn't happening because they did a decent job building to that. The bucks looked the opposite of professional and looked like little kids that found money to run a promotion. 

Overall, I think they did a good job building to the ppv but I'll wait till the tv starts to watch the company.

I just don't see what hook Page would have as their first champion.  He's not the most well known guy, not the most over guy and not exactly the best worker either.    You would think their first champion and face of the company would have one of those qualities.

6 hours ago, alstein said:

.I think NJPW might be seeing AEW as another UWFi and expecting it to fold, then they bring all the guys back to put new stars over.

AEW should just embrace the infamy and work with NJPW's competitors and try to bring them up, or go after some NJPW guys like SANADA.

So in that sense they should work with All Japan? Kenny Omega going for the Triple Crown would be interesting.

The Countdown to All Out was mostly Road to All Out on TV but I thought the show was really well put together. Being on TV you realize how different AEWs presentation is to the WWEs and that's a really good thing i think.

Schiavone and JR confirmed last night that the announce team would be them plus Excalibur. So Meltzer was wrong when he said the press release was incorrect earlier in the week.

But Goldenboy is doing All Out. Maybe the preshow, who knows.

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Is New Japan really in a relationship with Ring of Honor anymore?  I mean maybe in Ring of Honor's mind or hope every time they go to bed but seems like New Japan has seen the titanic that is Ring of Honor and turning away.  Except for GOD when was the last new Japan guys on Ring of Honor that doesn't also work in CMLL?  

Chase Owens was on their last two shows. Yes, it is fucking Chase Owens, but he is technically signed to NJPW and NJPW guy.

Anyway, as for this "does NJPW need AEW? Are they leaving money on the table?" thing, lets not forget that Gedo supposedly still goes "Fucking Jeff Jarrett" when someone brings up TNA/IMPACT and it was what, 8 years since Okada was there? And 50 ownership changes and rebrandings ago? So don't be surprised if 10 years later Gedo will be saying "Fucking Omega" when Omega is already retired and someone just wants to make highlight DVD (or whatever cool format that will be popular then) for Golden Lovers tag team run.

Also, we dont know how long Ibushi's contract with NJPW is other than at least until WK 2021.  Omega/Ibushi could still happen in AEW if Ibushi decides to leave in a couple of years.  Might be age in the cage a bit because both would be in early 40s, but Ibushi might have an IWGP reign by then as well, it would be a money match anywhere in the world. 

I do think AEW would draw American eyeballs to whatever Japanese promotion they allied with.  Kenny and Jericho made NJPW World something people subscribed to in the US- people didn't join because of Naito/Okada/White, they stayed because of those three, but they weren't the hook.  If NJPW didn't sign Kenny, they'd still be relying on ROH to run their American side of things.

I'm saying this despite the fact Kenny is nowhere near as good as Okada/Naito/White in-ring.  Those three are geniuses and top-tier athletes, Kenny is a top-tier athlete but only a good wrestling mind.  He's this generation's Kurt Angle.

Edited by alstein

• RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic