DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, the hope is that they've learned how to better structure their shows.

I don’t think they’ve figured out they might need to be the bad guy occasionally and put somebody in that spot. And they might not believe shows need cooldowns. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don’t think they’ve figured out they might need to be the bad guy occasionally and put somebody in that spot. And they might not believe shows need cooldowns. 

We'll see I guess. You might be right. But show structure is definitely on the list of things that I'd like to see some improvement on.

NJPW has shown you don't need a cool down match but they usually don't have guys killing themselves on the undercard outside of maybe a jr tag title match. They also are totally comfortable in presenting consecutive big matches with different styles and the long opening third of the match acts as an inherent cool down for the fans. Those three big matches on this card should serve three very different purposes (car crash ladder match, NJPW big match, and western brawl). So there should be something fresh in each match.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Maybe they aren't running against Starrcade on Thanksgiving Saturday after all. I bet they sell that out. 

I was looking at a map of the United States and I wondering where Episodes 7 and 8 located. Do they go from Charlotte to Nashville to Saint Louis and then Chicago? Charlotte to Memphis to St Louis then Chicago? Or Charlotte to Nashville to Indianapolis then Chicago? Or do they go up through Kentucky and run the Louisville Gardens yes that would be daring Cornette to show up but fuck it take the Lettermen approach and give him more rope.

Running Louisville would be a fun jab but if they really wanted to fuck with Cornette marks they would run the Civic Coliseum in Knoxville so they can say that AEW outdrew Smoky Mountain Wrestling. 

• Haha 1

But what would be the cool down match? I certainly wouldn't have it be the Joshi match as that would be a WWE move. Maybe The Librarians would be the best bet. 

Also, if you got Starrcast the BTE mailbag and Cody panels are worth watching to see what plans they have in the near future. For example Kenny pretty much confirmed a video game announcement by the end of the year. And Cody said Atlanta will get a TV and PPV show in Atlanta. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dewar said:

You base this theory on what? All the times Joey Ryan, the Bucks, Omega and Janela have been attached by "Cornette disciples"? 

FFS, I base it on a show being Louisville, where Corny is from, and probably has his strongest following.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It also does not sound like Kenny will be appearing in NJPW any time soon or that a NJPW alliance will be happening either. ?

Yeah, that was heartbreaking especially when you see the almost pained look on his face when mentioning Ibushi. I'm hoping New Japan gets wind of these comments and does something but considering how things are I doubt it. 

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Some goobers on Reddit are trying to convince people it's the actual name of the TV show.

You said it all right there. I'm glad I've got 3 weeks left of my facebook ban because I can only imagine what the troglodytes have to say.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, that was heartbreaking especially when you see the almost pained look on his face when mentioning Ibushi. I'm hoping New Japan gets wind of these comments and does something but considering how things are I doubt it. 

His name is taboo in NJPW. It ain't happening for a while, which sucks but I get it. 

• Like 1

I mean they kind of did fuck them over by essentially becoming another competitor. It really is odd how many want to pretend otherwise on that. There was no way NJPW wasn't going to hold a grudge over that. We are talking about a company that has held issue with WWE mostly for not seeing them as competition in the first place. That was simple pride. This is actual money they  effectively have lost out on.

Edited by Eivion

.I think NJPW might be seeing AEW as another UWFi and expecting it to fold, then they bring all the guys back to put new stars over.

AEW should just embrace the infamy and work with NJPW's competitors and try to bring them up, or go after some NJPW guys like SANADA.

Edited by alstein

27 minutes ago, alstein said:

.I think NJPW might be seeing AEW as another UWFi and expecting it to fold, then they bring all the guys back to put new stars over.

AEW should just embrace the infamy and work with NJPW's competitors and try to bring them up, or go after some NJPW guys like SANADA.

Did NJPW expect UWF & UWFi to fold? Honestly, I think they are mostly just trying to move on and focus on those actually there. With time current wounds may heal, but really even by the time they do there likely won't be much NJPW could get out of a relationship with AEW aside from what you mentioned with UWFi.

AEW should just focus on building up their base in the US and maybe Europe instead of trying to further piss off NJPW. It does them no good, and honestly I don't think anyone in Japan would really embrace working with AEW if that was the goal.

Edited by Eivion

There’s money to be made for both parties right now, so, right now, they are cutting off their nose to spite their face, and sticking with a promotion that basically has the same zombie/cockroach status as Impact and is colder than its ever been.

• Like 3

Is there money being left on the table? NJPW's numbers seem to be ok still when they go abroad. No one really knows what the numbers will be yet tv wise when AEW debuts. And honestly I'm kind of wondering what AEW would get from working with NJPW. Do they have a tv deal in Japan yet? Are they planning to run shows there? If so to either would NJPW really want to help them by working with them? AEW doesn't really need NJPW stars for their shows. And if they did need them then presumably NJPW would again be better off just own their own instead of giving power to a rival.

They're pulling the same numbers in the US with putting on actual NJPW shows and not booking glorified RoH shows around AEW's current stars.  And the current NJPW product is subjectively better than a year ago, in what works does NJPW *need* AEW when The Elite burned them and their American Partner in December?

I don’t think NJPW need AEW and I totally agree with New Japan being awesome right now. I still think that specifically  an Omega return, especially with his history with Ibushi and how prominently he is being showcased, would be a genuine draw for a big show.

Im more frustrated with ROH, as AEW is basically ROH’s alternate timeline where management saw the success of All In and chose to ramp up investment and freshen up creative. Then New Japan could have their cake and eat it, with keeping the loyalty while also having an affiliation with an actual hot fresh promotion (assuming they could present ROH brand as such).

• Like 1