DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think it actually was the Baja Men. They let their dogs out, the dogs fucked up the neighboring yards, the Baja Men noticed and got them in before the neighbors got home, then played dumb like they didn't know how it happened.

Were the dogs in the enclosed pool area?  If they were , it wasn't Chavo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

By the way, weed is legal in Colorado and I think The Shadow does know. But what Lamont Cranston isn't revealing, is that the show is gonna end with Punk and AJ Lee standing over Cody and Brandi holding Kendo sticks above their heads after beating them down. 

Get THAT out of your heads. Ya can't. ?

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

By the way, weed is legal in Colorado and I think The Shadow does know. But what Lamont Cranston isn't revealing, is that the show is gonna end with Punk and AJ Lee standing over Cody and Brandi holding Kendo sticks above their heads after beating them down. 

Get THAT out of your heads. Ya can't. ?

Don't forget a can of Pepsi in place of a beer.

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't forget a can of Pepsi in place of a beer.

That's just it, it's beer. He's a drunk now. It's the only way he'd come back to wrestling. And Sandman is his manager. Eventually, Current Clean Raven is gonna come in to confront CM Drunk, pulling from their ROH feud. God dammit, I'm good at this. Lol.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

They're returning to Chicago at the Sears Center the day before Thanksgiving for their TNT show. Tickets on sale tomorrow at 11am CST, for anyone in the area.

Maybe they aren't running against Starrcade on Thanksgiving Saturday after all. I bet they sell that out. 

I was looking at a map of the United States and I wondering where Episodes 7 and 8 located. Do they go from Charlotte to Nashville to Saint Louis and then Chicago? Charlotte to Memphis to St Louis then Chicago? Or Charlotte to Nashville to Indianapolis then Chicago? Or do they go up through Kentucky and run the Louisville Gardens yes that would be daring Cornette to show up but fuck it take the Lettermen approach and give him more rope.

14 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Maybe they aren't running against Starrcade on Thanksgiving Saturday after all. I bet they sell that out. 

I was looking at a map of the United States and I wondering where Episodes 7 and 8 located. Do they go from Charlotte to Nashville to Saint Louis and then Chicago? Charlotte to Memphis to St Louis then Chicago? Or Charlotte to Nashville to Indianapolis then Chicago? Or do they go up through Kentucky and run the Louisville Gardens yes that would be daring Cornette to show up but fuck it take the Lettermen approach and give him more rope.

They would have a better chance getting the ghost of Muhammad Ali there than Cornette.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

I was thinking he'd show up in the crowd and start some shit. But he's in his 50's with bad knees he ain't got time for that.

The last time TNT had a promotion trying to do insider angles no one gave a shit about, we had the most spectacular collapse in wrestling business history. I don't think AEW wants to carry on that tradition. Plus, TNT is not going to entertain that bullshit anymore even it's the same thing Cornette did for ECW trying to help Dennis Coralluzzo. They need angles and storylines that they can pay off, not some petulant internet feud bullshit.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That's just it, it's beer. He's a drunk now. It's the only way he'd come back to wrestling. And Sandman is his manager. Eventually, Current Clean Raven is gonna come in to confront CM Drunk, pulling from their ROH feud. God dammit, I'm good at this. Lol.

xac3tfhb75s11.jpg

“C M Drunk, C M Drunk, he used to be a punk, now he’s just an old timer who drinks  beer,

If he has one or two, then he’s coming for you, C M Drunk, C M Drunk, CM Druuuuuunnnnk.

I really like him Drunk”

”I gathered that sir”

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I was thinking he'd show up in the crowd and start some shit. But he's in his 50's with bad knees he ain't got time for that.

Yeah, but he's got disciples that would be dumb enough to start shit, possibly even rush the ring.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, but he's got disciples that would be dumb enough to start shit, possibly even rush the ring.

You base this theory on what? All the times Joey Ryan, the Bucks, Omega and Janela have been attached by "Cornette disciples"? 

I'm very pleased this All Out card consists of 8 and only 8 matches.  10 including the pre-ppv card.  This indicates every bout will very likely have enough time to showcase.  Looking over the card I like how each match has some reason and something to prove.  

Riho-Shida has to be arguably the best way to showcase the high end of their women's division.  I've enjoyed the Joshi flavored matches, but they still need a big standout.  I've got hopes that this might be it. 

SCU-Luchsaurus/Jungle Boy/Stunt six man, I'm guessing will open.  I'm really hoping the SCU intro takes a less schtick turn and/or more importantly is brief.  Not that it really matters either which way.  The match is a good bet to set a good tone for the show.  I hope for less cute, more violence.  In the name of competition of course.

Dark Order-Evans/Angelico will provide ample opportunity for these exciting teams to demonstrate their exceptional athletic ability.  I also see both teams as, somewhat, dark horse duos.  And this is the, well, dark horse match on the card. 

Darby Allin-Janela-Havoc I hope results in a thrill for the crowd without any of the three succumbing to injury.  Allin, early here, has me believing he's AEW's real true breakout star.  My hope is the pace is quick and it doesn't rely on that pedestrian plunderidge hardcore TV cartoon bullshit.  Whatever happens Allin, Janela and Havoc are all likely doing something memorable.  Again, please no injuries.  

Cody and Spears I believe will tell a compelling story.  Can they do so while keeping a good pace with crisp action? I'm of the belief they will.  Very stoked to see the return of Tully Blanchard.

Bucks-Luchas will be good.  Probably a bit twee for my tastes.  Tho, I trust the ladder element will work nicely for them.  I'm still sorta curious about Fenix's health going in.  I'd be fine with a Laredo Kid (or the like) substitution.  I'd rather that then the risk of further injuring Fenix.  Tho, maybe he's good and ready?  As a side, I hated the Bucks road to promo.  It made my interest slightly less.  'Only slightly, only slightly less...'  

I assume Kenny and Pac will steal the show.  I've found myself distracted from the fact that Kenny Omega is now in the US, and ready to become the true star of the industry.  His recent promo and watching a handful of NJPW matches was a good reminder.  The worst that I see here is that'll be too tough to follow.  The way the graphics are set up on their website suggests this as the semi-main.   

As the main event, Page and Jericho has a lot of weight on it.  On the 'Road To' this historic main event we got a pretty terrible promo from Page.  It made him look like a bit of a cartoon and a bit of a desperate loser.  I didn't get too invested from Jericho's promo either, but it certainly wasn't bad.  I'm not sure what we'll see, but I have confidence it will exceed my expectations.  I haven't eyed enough of Page's work to know him all that well, but one weak big game promo aside, it's plain to see he has great potential.  He's clearly athletically gifted.  He'll also have a strong, and relentlessly consistent, dance partner here.  One whom thrives being in the spotlight.  I dig this grizzled old veteran version of Jericho.  It all feels very natural, and he's obviously best when he's natural (eg. his WCW heel run).  There's no intrigue over who will win this but I expect I'll like it.

Color me stoked for All Out.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Yeah, the fact that Hangman and Jericho will have to follow Omega/Pac is really interesting. Will the crowd care? If they do, will they have anything left to give after what will likely be a long card and coming right off the heels of what will be a great match? I think Jericho will lean even more heavily into brawling and perhaps some smoke and mirrors plunder usage to differentiate his match from Omega's. Page will die to get this over too. I just hope the audience goes along with them for the ride.

edit: the f4w board consensus seems to think this will be lucky to achieve the same buyrate as DoN. Thoughts? I really do think it'll eclipse it because of the CM Punk curiosity*, proximity to the TV debut (losing that nebulous/fledgling feel DoN had) and AEW being a little bit more established after running three shows. They didn't have Moxley advertised the first time either, so losing out on him is a blow but shouldn't really be too big of a factor when looking at comparing buyrates between this and DoN. 

*invariably leading to people who bought it just for Punk bitching about AEW when it ends up he wasn't there.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I'd be more worried that to the casual, outside viewer that doesn't follow the YouTube show, this card looks weak on paper and wouldn't be out of place printed up on a telephone pole.  

I imagine the buyrate will be the same or better. They have an audience that's just been growing and people know this will likely be as big or bigger than DoN. Plus, it's the last big/huge show before the weekly TV launch so you'd think at least 1 or 2 things will happen to make you want to tune into that first week.

I also would think they'd be smart enough to not run Jericho/Page right after Omega/PAC. You need a buffer match in between those to let the crowd recover. If they're smart, they'd go ladder match, cool down match, Omega/PAC, cool down match, Jericho/Page. Or flip Omega/PAC and Jericho/Page around. Either way, with three big matches they risk burning out the crowd.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

You base this theory on what? All the times Joey Ryan, the Bucks, Omega and Janela have been attached by "Cornette disciples"? 

Imagine Tracy Smothers doing run-ins for no reason at all. There you go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If you look at the way they've structured their shows thus far, they don't seem to believe in cool-down matches.

Well, the hope is that they've learned how to better structure their shows.