DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I'm all for the commentary not being dumbed down.  We live in a time where the biggest movie of all time assumed that it's viewers have seen 20+ other full-length features in order to keep up.  Why does wrestling have to assume that every single show's viewership is filled with people who've never seen a wrestling match in their life?  At this point, wrestling fans are watching wrestling.  Treat them like fans, not people who wandered in off the street to see what all the yelling is about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think if I’m reading your post correctly that I feel like the opposite is dumbing it down.  It’s like if a home run were called something specific to the batter. Again, just feels a bit twee.  But to each their own.  I’ll learn to accept it.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Maybe executed it wouldn’t work as well as I am imagining, but I would love that.  I don’t however have issue with the Lucha names. It’s more the wrestler a has named each common move after himself nonsense.

Within reason, that's ok.The idea that a Steinerline is a bigger deal than a regular Clothesline from anyone else (except Stan Hansen and his imitators, or Riki Choshu), that's fine. Eventually a move name becomes standardised anyway, like how almost everyone's Diamond Cutter is just called a Cutter, except Randy Orton's. But as with anything, sometimes some people take things too far.

• Like 1

Every show that goes onsale before 10/2 is going to sell out right away. Then it’s up to them to keep us engaged (and hopefully add a bunch more fans). I hope they post the next part of that video today, although they may wait until Monday. 

Even if AEW stops being able to get sellouts in the biggest markets, there's going to be a lot of secondary markets like here which will lap up AEW.  I could see them being able to draw say, 7,500 to the Greensboro Coliseum.  That's not bad.

Edited by alstein

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the locations of the next two TV shows will be announced Monday

The network said they would announce the cities at noon eastern on Monday. Then the Bucks tweeted to say they'd be releasing them before that on BTE, on Monday morning.

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I got my tickets for the Boston show! So happy. I'm pleased to announce that it wasn't too bad. I got in right at noon and searched around, got the seats I wanted, not a painful experience. 

Nice one. Enjoy!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alstein said:

Even if AEW stops being able to get sellouts in the biggest markets, there's going to be a lot of secondary markets like here which will lap up AEW.  I could see them being able to draw say, 7,500 to the Greensboro Coliseum.  That's not bad.

I’d like them to come to the old Charlotte/current Bojangles Coliseum. Like Greensboro, there’s a lot of history, and even WCW ran PPV/Nitros there.

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Within reason, that's ok.The idea that a Steinerline is a bigger deal than a regular Clothesline from anyone else (except Stan Hansen and his imitators, or Riki Choshu), that's fine. Eventually a move name becomes standardised anyway, like how almost everyone's Diamond Cutter is just called a Cutter, except Randy Orton's. But as with anything, sometimes some people take things too far.

My philosophy is to call the match with the audience in mind. So for ROH, I could throw in more Japanese and Lucha move names because those fans were more likely to "get it." For a national promotion on TNT, it would be best to call the move names that a general American audience would recognize. So I wouldn't call it an Ace Crusher, but also not an RKO because it's not Randy Orton performing it. I would call it a Diamond cutter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

My philosophy is to call the match with the audience in mind. So for ROH, I could throw in more Japanese and Lucha move names because those fans were more likely to "get it." For a national promotion on TNT, it would be best to call the move names that a general American audience would recognize. So I wouldn't call it an Ace Crusher, but also not an RKO because it's not Randy Orton performing it. I would call it a Diamond cutter.

The real test is when someone hits a Rocker Dropper/Fame-Asser/Face Crusher(?). I've heard some indie guys take a real walk to describe that move without referencing a famous wrestler.

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

The real test is when someone hits a Rocker Dropper/Fame-Asser/Face Crusher(?). I've heard some indie guys take a real walk to describe that move without referencing a famous wrestler.

“Standing leg drop to the back of the head”

For the RKO/Ace Crusher/Diamond Cutter I would go with...”Reverse neck breaker” to break it away from a single wrestler.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Call it a Flying Guillotine. Reference a classic Kung Fu movie instead.

'Diamond Cutter' references DDP's gimmick. 'Cutter' does not.

• Like 4