DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Some people around here would rather sell a kidney than admit AEW is the #2 promotion in North America.

US? Sure.

north America? Maybe not yet. 

(Admittedly said warning my CMLL Mark hat on) ? 

• Like 1

Well considering NJPW G1 Climax Night 1 was not nearly sold out in Dallas,   I'm going to go ahead and say that's a dead issue (if it was an issue).   I think NJPW is up there in the world certainly but in the U.S. or North America I think AEW is the clear #2 and the way they are selling tickets right now they are at least looking like a viable national promotion.  

The Bucks and Omega were wildly popular in the UK & Ireland when they did that tour last year (it was last year, right?). I think AEW would outsell NJPW in the UK as well but I don't think it would be as big of a disparity as in the States.

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Finally got it to work.  And only took about a couple hundred tries.  Upper deck but at this rate I am just glad I am not behind the entrance ramp. 

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Got 'em!  It's in section 433 but holy shit we're gonna have a ton a fun!

Nice one! Have a good time! 

• Thanks 1

Man, LAX being Jericho's partners would be a let down. I also think it would maybe get a muted reaction.

Now, if it's Marty and PAC, that's a whole other story. Marty and PAC make the most sense from a storyline perspective and the reaction to both of those guys would be insane. It's just too bad Marty wouldn't be able to come out to this:

WOOP WOOP

• Like 2

Going back to stage setups...and my boy Marty...the setup for All In was really dope. It would be cool if they could do something similar to this.

Oh yeah, and Marty is over like rover. WOOP WOOP

Edited by Craig H
WOOP WOOP
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Honestly and ideally, entrances should mimic what UFC does. Or at least they should do that for the big matches. I'd like to see narrow walkways like UFC has and not the giant landing strip that WWE uses. And back to the big matches, there's just something cool about seeing the fighter/wrestler come out of the locker room, flanked by security or an entourage.

Goldberg famously used entrances like this, but WWE used them to and it was really cool when they did it. You'd see someone walking through the backstage area to get to the Gorilla position while that duhduhduhduhduhduhduh thumping sound would play right before the entrance music played.

One of my favorites as a kid was JYD entering the Garden for Wrestlemania to 'Another One Bites the Dust'.  Chill inducing.  Tho, history has been re-written with 'Grab Them Cakes' overlaid on the audio track and ruining the whole thing.  

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Definitely ramps. I was so happy to see the elevated ramp at Fight for the Fallen. Easily my favorite setup for 90s WCW shows and NJPW too.

Let us not forget the WWF at Maple Leaf Gardens.  I'm sure I'm not alone in my fondness for how the different main arenas (MSG, MLG, Boston Garden, etc.) all had a different look in the 1980s. 

15 hours ago, Web Conn said:

LAX would be cool, the crowd would react loud to them. A very large portion of that’s crowd has atleast heard Santana and Ortiz. They’d be instant stars (might be hyperbole) teaming with Jericho against The Elite in what will most likely be the main event of the first show.

Whomever it is, they're going to get an excellent debut.  A lot of talk about how LAX would be a let down and should be Marty and Pac.  If you look at this match as, in the singles component, Omega is inevitably whom Jericho is certain to feud with again, than the Bucks are the focus of those mystery partners.  In this case a team debuting makes the most sense.  Bucks also need to move away from Lucha Bros after the AO match.  I've never seen more than highlights of LAX, but judging from the pundits they would be excellent additions to the roster.  

I also think Marty might be better off debuting in a sneak attack or some sort of angle rather than stepping into the ring upon his name being called.  That's assuming they position him against his former buddies whom left him behind.  

12 hours ago, OSJ said:

I'm one of the biggest NJPW fans on this board and I will aver that it would be absolute foolishness to call them or anyone other than AEW the #2 fed in America.  I wasn't the least bit sad to see Kenny and the Bucks leave NJPW, just leaves more TV time for the guys that I truly enjoy watching. A little Kenny goes a long ways, ditto for the Bucks. That said, I'll watch their TV show with great interest as I like watching wrestling and can't bring myself to watch VKM's product any longer.

I don't have a calculator to crunch the numbers on number 2, but I'm with @OSJ completely.  AEW brought my attention back to the sport of professional wrestling after a near 15 year lack of interest.  And then NJPW and their World service came upon my radar, and I'm watching wrestling weekly again.  I'm curious enough of Heyman booking to check out Raw highlights, but doubtful to expand my WWE viewing.  AEW and NJPW is more than enough coupled with seeing the hyped up one off Indy matches (about to check out Gulak and Riddle).  But NJPW no matter where they rank in the US, has been incredible.  I can't compare this year's G1 to past years, but what I've seen has been incredible.  I'm pretty excited about what NJ has to offer and feel no loss to the product by the Bucks/Omega.  Nobody tops ZSJ, Ishii, Naito, Okada, Moxley etc.  Qualms aside, Ospreay is one of the most exciting guys going. And so stoked to get into the Real World Tag League.  

And AEW is impossible not to get excited about.  I was on board from the beginning, but these 'Road To' videos are making me think they're going to have a slick MF'n weekly TNT show on top of exciting and athletic wrestling. Anybody else think Cody was in Dusty territory of excellence with that 'blood and guts' promo?  What an incredible use of the competition's words/criticism! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

Eh, the G1 has been lovely and all but Omega is a loss. You put him in Block B and we easily have the greatest tournament in history. It's easy to forget how unreal his seemingly brief run at the top was but I look back and if I were to make a list of the top 10 greatest matches I've ever seen, Omega would be in probably half of those. They've done a good job freshening up an otherwise stagnant top of the card by bringing in both Moxley and KENTA (who is sticking around as he's on the Power Struggle posters) and slightly elevating Ospreay but prior to that it's been pretty sloggy up top. 

I'm excited for Kenny to be given the chance to prove himself to a broader audience. It feels weird and wrong, as NJPW with him near the top of the card is my favourite era of wrestling (despite a couple of lackluster IWGP defences), but I'm excited for this and one day he'll be back. I have high hopes for the match with Moxley. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

I'm happy to call AEW the #2 promotion and I'm happy there's competition and that everybody is happy etc, but I don't miss Omega in NJPW tbh. Not that I'm not a fan, but I think The Elite leaving created some space and I think it's been filled just fine. Obviously not in terms of selling tickets for US events, but I certainly wouldn't trade Moxley for him in B Block. And a guy like Taichi....yeah he needs to be in the G1 too. 

(I also don't think we've seen the last of Omega in NJPW anyway)

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nice one! Have a good time! 

Thank you, my friend! We're so excited to go and it seems my wife might be more excited than me. She adores Sonny Kiss so much so hopefully he's there. 

I was talking to somebody at a party and he does real estate so we're hoping to use him for when we move. But he has trash opinions about wrestling even though he seems like he's familiar with things like AEW. I showed him how to get the B/R Live app and see the shows and he was impressed by how the DC show sold out yesterday. But he lost me when he said Cody is still mad for how Vince treated Dusty and Dustin. And what really made me check out was him saying Vince is behind AEW and is orchestrating the whole competition thing between the two companies. I quickly corrected him on both claims but learned not to talk wrestling with the guy. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thank you, my friend! We're so excited to go and it seems my wife might be more excited than me. She adores Sonny Kiss so much so hopefully he's there. 

Cheers, mate. Enjoy. Fingers crossed for you and your wife.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Whoa, they're going really big. Smart choice going with university arenas. I'm guessing with the stage and ring that they'll probably try to get ~6k for Boston and ~8 for Philly. Ambitious but those are wrestling hotbeds and they should sell out or get close. Still most interested to see where they are in the Spring once both the novelty has started to wear off and they've hit up the big cities. Will they have built up a big enough audience to either maintain or even expand their venue size of choice or will they have to downgrade while they continue to look into building up a following. That's most interesting to me.

Seems pretty North-eastern. I was expecting Atlanta or the West Coast. Maybe the whole 'New WCW' thing was a misconception.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Seems pretty North-eastern. I was expecting Atlanta or the West Coast. Maybe the whole 'New WCW' thing was a misconception.

I'm pretty sure the whole "New WCW" thing is totally fan wank that blew up when they went on TNT and there was never any plan from the EVP's that it would be WCW v2.

• Like 1

I am assuming that one way to help keep costs at a normal level while building the TV show is to slowly make their way across the country.

Like by staying Northeast to start - they can drive and use trains to move stuff if they choose.

I am gonna assume that they will go to somewhere in Ohio after Philly.

Plus by starting in the Northeast in October - they can go West Coast during the Winter months and hopefully avoid weather related travel issues.

Of course - this could all be shot to shit when the announce the location of their next PPV after All Out

• Like 1

They've openly tried to distance themselves from being WCW, at least Cody did in an interview shortly after the company's launch. I think they can bring a few things from WCW but they are obviously going to be doing their own thing.

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Whoa, they're going really big. Smart choice going with university arenas. I'm guessing with the stage and ring that they'll probably try to get ~6k for Boston and ~8 for Philly. Ambitious but those are wrestling hotbeds and they should sell out or get close. Still most interested to see where they are in the Spring once both the novelty has started to wear off and they've hit up the big cities. Will they have built up a big enough audience to either maintain or even expand their venue size of choice or will they have to downgrade while they continue to look into building up a following. That's most interesting to me.

Agreed. These shows are going to sell out easily. And then, they will have to deliver with a compelling tv series or the novelty will quickly wear off. 

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

In SoCal, it's probably hard to find the appropriate arena. We've got places that'll hold 6000 or 20+ but not in between.