DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I doubt Mance and/or Cornette get to AEW TV while they're still with MLW. Court is enforcing his little bullshit contracts pretty hard now.

Orange Cassidy strikes me as a Joey Ryan type - he rather be a big fish in a small pond, rather than get lost in the shuffle among a roster with bigger names. I can see him coming back a few times here and there, but signing a contract and being full time with AEW? I don't know about all of that. I also don't agree with "small time indie star". I'd argue he's one of the top names on the indies right now.

I'm perfectly okay with him staying in Beyond and the like, but I wouldn't be exactly upset either, if he signed a contract with AEW. I absolutely love that the gimmick and his matches piss a lot of people off, particularly older fans/wrestlers. That fills me with great joy.

I’m having a tough time believing any issue from MLW isn’t a work.   The fact that Aew is currently allowing them to use MJF without any issue makes me assume there are some talks with agreements being reached.  

As to OC/Joey Ryan - OCs gimmick is possible to show on tv without fear of losing sponsors.  Further, Ryan being close with the evps, there’s no way he doesn’t show up shortly.  Not that I want to see it, but I’m confident they’ll make adjustments to make his act presentable and less ridiculous.  So to Cassidy.

40 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I will say that AEW has some great shirts.  Shame you probably have to go to Pro Wrestling Tees in order to get them.  Don't really like that place

I think Orange Cassidy works if you EXPLAIN him to people. Just putting him out there like in the battle royal with Dreamer did nothing for him.   I believe 2 years ago he did one of those mini Ken Johnson (?) short documentaries that explains why he wrestles the way he currently does.  if they show that and do actual segments with him then I could work.   

But nobody knows how much of this TV show will be built around building characters or just have good matches.  as much as Elite fans will hate to hear this, there early TV shows should really look the current IMPACT product

As somebody who tried to watch an episode of Impact and could not make it thru without skipping nearly entire segments, matches and promos, and whom found very little to enjoy of the stuff I did see, I absolutely disagree that they should look or mimic anything about that extremely mediocre product.  But maybe I’m missing what you’re getting at?

As for OC, what’s  to explain?  But yes, a promo would be fine.  I’m not big on commentators explaining the obvious but a good commentator would certainly fill in any blanks.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

12 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Side tangent: is anyone here familiar with how the Japanese smark/hardcore fan community views modern product? Are there fans that think things like DDT, BJPW deathmatches, and Great Sasuke's Space War matches are ruining wrestling. I know theres been the Inokism romanticism in recent years regarding modern NJPW, but is that a Western hardcore fan trend or is that happening amongst older Japanese fans as well. 

There's some fans who do.

But most lasped fans just stick to the old stuff they liked or simply moved on. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

IAs somebody who tried to watch an episode of Impact and could not make it thru without skipping nearly entire segments, matches and promos, and whom found very little to enjoy of the stuff I did see, I absolutely disagree that they should look or mimic anything about that extremely mediocre product.  But maybe I’m missing what you’re getting at?

I think it was more the concept than the actual product.  Like I don't see the WWE really doing the segments like they did building up LAX/Rascalz & Kross/Edwards angles for their last PPV.  All of the WWE stuff was built in the ring and maybe the awful backstage stuff.   I guess what I am trying to say is AEW needs a strong mix between their "Road to" youtube shows and actual wrestling..  Maybe we will see that.

• Like 1

There's no point in not saying it's the Lucha Bros if it's going to be the Lucha Bros.

If you're saying you're gonna have two mystery partners for Chris Jericho on the first TNT show, you better knock it out of the park or people are gonna shit all over that.

While awesome, Lucha Bros against the Young Bucks yet again is not knocking it out of the park. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I think Orange Cassidy works if you EXPLAIN him to people. Just putting him out there like in the battle royal with Dreamer did nothing for him.   I believe 2 years ago he did one of those mini Ken Johnson (?) short documentaries that explains why he wrestles the way he currently does.  if they show that and do actual segments with him then I could work.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Does Darby Allin like turtles?

I remember discovering this gem thanks to the Opie & Anthony show circa 2007-2008. I love how the kid completely no-sells what she's asking him about.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He'll be teaming with two Christopher Daniels. 

Curry Man and Suicide would be a hell of a team.

• Like 2

I like the idea of it being Pac and someone else. Not Hager though. Can't stand him.

BTW, I love their match graphics. They always look like fighting game matchup screens.

Oh man, Scurll actually works really well if he's one of the mystery partners. They could play it up as the Elite leaving Scurll behind and now he's here for revenge.

• Like 3

Shame they can't get Adam Cole to be the other one, then. Marty was just abandoned, Cole was literally murdered. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Chris Jericho’s mystery partners:

Rusev + _____?

Two other names out there of PAC and Jack Hager don’t make sense here in this spot.

Hager doesn’t make sense with Rusev.

All it would take is Jericho or JR saying, “These two men have a lot of history, but Jericho’s got them on the same page.”

I'm not really aware of how a one shot a month MLW contract works, but the Harts would be a nice choice - any 2 of 3.  Not sure, even with reports of good behaviour, that you wanna take a chance on Teddy (still wrestles like the purpose is to get his same spots in), but Harry and Pillman Jr could work well behind Lionheart. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus