DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Dam...it’s happening. This is a work. CM Punk first feud will be against “the power” of AEW’s VP Cody Rhodes.

From ESPN:

CM Punk is seemingly unhappy with an offer Cody made from AEW via text: “The last thing I got - I got a text from Cody. I always think if somebody wants to do business with me, they can come talk to me. Texting offers isn't really a way to do good business, at least.”

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Meltzer speculates that because the Jericho Cruise in January runs all week, and most of the AEW roster will be on the cruise, that they might either tape or do a live episode from the Jericho Cruise.

They might as well tape it in Miami while at the port(Where the cruise starts). Just in case they loose the feed for whatever reason. Or do it live on the boat while at sea. Then run an “Overboard Match” guest ref’d by Goldie Hawn, and Kurt Russell picking up the loser in a boat following the cruise ship. Goldie Hawn’s shoe closet somehow gets used in this match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Dam...it’s happening. This is a work. CM Punk first feud will be against “the power” of AEW’s VP Cody Rhodes.

Wow... Just wow...

Punk is Top 3 carny. He is really making people think he isn’t showing up at the PPV. You guys made a mistake not giving him the March Madness title 3 times in a row.

This is setting up to be a CM Punk & AJ invasion angle. Punk & AJ will invade AEW in Punk’s hometown.

CM Punk & AJ vs Cody & Brandi 

This will be the beginning of Punks run in AEW.

Punk would not have gotten so specific with his mentions of AEW personnel if this wasn’t a work.

Its happening.

Punk & AJ invades AEW’s All Out “without being AEW’s employees”....wink...wink. 

I've stated before on this board and in one of the All Elite threads but I don't think CM Punk in AEW would be all that earth shattering are change the pro wrestling climate in the U.S. as others and not necessarily here on DVDVR but just others on the internet think it will be.

1. It's been almost 6 years since he's wrestled, yeah ok he's in shape with his MMA training but ring shape brother plus 6 years is a long time to be away from the ring.

2. It's been 6 years I don't see him as a the top guy he'll want top billing next to Jericho and I think long term he should be below Kenny and Moxley. 

3. The man is so self serious borderline mark for himself that I can't see him be the butt of the joke and the UFC run was so predictably disastrous whoever Punks opponent is has to mention it and I can't see Punk taking that is stride

I'm a CM Punk fan the wrestler Phil Brooks the person make sit difficult to like him but Punk at a time was one of the more entertaining dudes out there with the Straight Edge Society and the Pipe Bomb but even before that with the Raven Feud (which is when I first became aware of CM Punk) to signing his WWE Contract on the ROH World Title I've always liked his in ring work as well as his promos and the angles. He's a guy that knows how to effectively blend storyline with reality and make things some more gritty and i guess real for lack of better term then most wrestling angles seem to be sometimes. I think it's the Roddy Piper influence myself that attributes to it.

14 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

The man is so self serious borderline mark for himself that I can't see him be the butt of the joke and the UFC run was so predictably disastrous whoever Punks opponent is has to mention it and I can't see Punk taking that is stride

His MMA run was a disaster. But surely he must be able to hit a better back elbow than Jericho. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 2

I think you're crazy if you don't think Punk would be a huge draw in wrestling regardless of time away (I think it actually helps his cause, as he was so done in 2013 and I think many hardcores were fine with him leaving - I know I was) or his time in the UFC (definitely didn't help matters). 

The full context of the stuff from the ESPN interview:

ESPN: Do you feel like there's an expectation from fans that you're going to show up at AEW's show, at All Out?

Punk: I think if there's an expectation, it's purely been built by them. My silence to some fans means something. They're trying to read the tea leaves, but there's nothing to read. I even feel like talking about it may feel like I'm putting some sort of negative slant on it, but I'm really not. The fact is I know they've teased me ad nauseam, and if anybody is gonna get mad it's at me because I don't show up. Well then, I don't know what to tell you. That's one of those things that's none of my business.

ESPN: When you say they've teased you, what do you mean by that?

Punk: They do videos where they talk about me. They're constantly talking about me in the media. And again, maybe this sounds like I'm badgering them, but I'm not. It's just something that happens. I'm a popular guy to talk about. But I'm not doing interviews talking about them. If people ask me about it, I say no, I won't be there.

ESPN: Just to be completely clear, there's nothing imminent?

Punk: The last thing I got -- I got a text from Cody [Rhodes]. And again, I almost don't even know how to reply to them sometimes, because if I reply, they do interviews and are like, "Oh yeah, I just talked to Punk." I'm kind of damned if I do, damned if I don't. I always think if somebody wants to do business with me, they can come talk to me. Texting offers isn't really a way to do good business, at least.

ESPN: Was it an offer via text?

Punk: It was texted through three people and an offer came in through text. This is like a month ago, maybe.

ESPN: An offer for All Out?

Punk: I think it was just a general offer. I never could have done the last one in Vegas [Double or Nothing], because I was in California for CFFC.

I don't think that's a guy ready to work for AEW or any wrestling company, guys. He's not coming back anytime soon. Of course, I could be wrong but don't get your hopes up. He's not wrong either. They shouldn't be talking about him if he's not actually coming in. It's unprofessional and I'm sure it's not winning him over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way Punk sounds is like someone in their 20s being badgered by their family and friends to marry their girlfriend and it's like, "hey motherfucker, stop putting pressure on me. If no one ever mentioned a single thing about marriage I would have come to terms about that on my own in my own way, but the way you people keep bringing it up just makes me not want to propose just to spite everyone else for pressuring me."

This is that same thing. I'm willing to bet that if after, say, 2 or 3 months after leaving WWE people just stopped caring about Punk altogether, we would have seen him do some dates in Japan, we would have seen him do an indy here or there, we might even see him get involved with AEW. But everyone else just unwittingly keeps putting pressure on Punk to go back to wrestling by just asking Jericho or the Bucks or Tony or JR or whoever if they could see Punk joining and then those guys don't help matters much when they talk about it. Punk probably feels that pressure and is more likely to rebel against when if it were left up to him and him only, he probably would go back to it.

That's why Punk is never going to return to wrestling outside of an appearance in front of 75 to 100 people at an indy show. The media and the wrestlers need to stop talking about Punk and just let it happen. It's like trying to change an ocean current. It's just going to push back against you and do it's own thing when in time it would have just shifted naturally on it's own.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

3. The man is so self serious borderline mark for himself that I can't see him be the butt of the joke 

Look at the top of their pecking order. Omega, Cody, Bucks, Jericho. Do we seriously believe that Punk is more of a mark for himself than any of those guys? His biggest problem would be that he's a mark for himself who has to deal with a bunch of other marks for themselves that get to book themselves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Look at the top of their pecking order. Omega, Cody, Bucks, Jericho. Do we seriously believe that Punk is more of a mark for himself than any of those guys? His biggest problem would be that he's a mark for himself who has to deal with a bunch of other marks for themselves that get to book themselves. 

True. I can't see Punk working long tem there and please no "invasion" angles those are so pase' ask TNA how incessant invasion angles work out.

Have Cody and Brandi make some snide remarks in interviews about Punk and AJ. Punk and AJ show up at ALL OUT after Cody's match haver Brandi out there and then Punk can take the mic or Aj can take the mic and say something like "So I heard you were talking shit" Aj throws right son Brandi, Punk throws rights on Cody bam! you got the Main Event to your first episode of TV and build it up for the next month.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Another note that I missed since it was in a different section

The goal is to do 100 - 120 Live Events a year. The breakdown is roughly: 4 PPVs, 51 Live TV shows (they won't be Live on Christmas Day this year), house shows almost every Saturday night and occasionally a second house show a week

They want "top talent" to only work about 75 matches a year

This is maybe AEW's most 'revolutionizing' attribute yet. The schedule that Titan Sports runs is criminal, and has been a huge contributing factor to the endless dark side of the ring stories.  Showcase an interest in the health of the performers and the quality of their lives.  

Surprises are nice and of course a CM Punk debut would blow the 'ruf' off the place, but as was mentioned earlier - no need for surprises, just give me two hours of quality tv wrestling - something I haven't seen for almost two decades now.  Let the action happen in the ring, no nonsense in the matches, clean finishes, no backstage skits (please no BTE on TNT), let guys cut promos, edit nice video packages (like what they've been doing), and let's enjoy TV wrestling again.  I like this roster already - a ton of potential.    

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

If you are, seek help.

I’m dam serious.

Punk would not go after Cody or the Jackson’s in this manner if it wasn’t a work.

This is how they decided to bring Punk into AEW. It wasn’t going to be the same manner AEW brought in Moxley. 

Punk will be an “unsigned” talent who will be very critical of Cody at Starrcast and there will be a verbal confrontation between the 2 of them.

Punk costs Cody the win vs Spears at All Out. Spears with Blanchard gets to go over.

Edited by Flair’s Shadow

Punk is done. He's not going to do anything more than his Ace Steel run ins, especially since he's smaller than Darby Allin these days. And IIRC, AJ's got neck issues and can't bump anymore either.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

Right now I’m directly in the middle of either a work, or a shoot. I’m might lean to “Shoot”. I sometimes believe Punk is doing damage control to protect himself in case AEW, and him get backlash when he doesn’t show up.

But there is that small chance we are being worked openly to lay the seeds without giving it away. It currently has the feeling of everything being up in the air.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

No one is being "worked." This is one of those times where I feel like I'm taking crazy pills and I'm one of the few who can see that Punk wants so very little to do with wrestling, doesn't want to be asked questions about wrestling, and just wants to be left alone.

There's a universe where this actually happens. In that universe, he never does the Colt podcast, he never does any interviews, he turns into a complete hermit and is just a homebody with his wife AJ, he tells Cody or the Bucks or anyone else to not talk about him, he kills his Twitter and his Instagram and that's the last we hear of him and all of this would have happened 5 or 6 years ago.

I get that the guy doesn't want to be asked this shit, but he's just inviting the hassle by even doing shit like Starrcast or this interview with ESPN.