DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

26 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I don't know if I'm buying Spears just yet but Tully did more to sell me on that match than Shawn or Cody have yet.

If Tully Blanchard tells you that an ant can pull a trailer-tractor you just nod and say "Where do I hook him up, sir?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's been going by Evil Uno since they turned heel a number of years ago. They were part of a faction called Malice with Joey Janela and Vanessa Kraven in Smash Wrestling at the time of Janela's injury.

Right, right! Evil Uno.!  

56 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I don't know if I'm buying Spears just yet but Tully did more to sell me on that match than Shawn or Cody have yet.

I liked seeing Tully, but got a bit awkward.  I'm looking forward to seeing him get comfortable back on television.  But even at less than his best, Tully can still sell the sizzle.   

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

If any match on this card needed a gimmick stipulation, it's Allin/Janela/Havoc.

I'm not so sure they do need a gimmick stipulation.  I'd like to see them just go for it without the plunder.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Well, a three way is No DQ by default, so it'll likely involve plunder and stuff - but I just want more stuff like Moxley/Janela if I'm being totally honest. That was fantastic and a lot of fun, and all three of these guys excel at that type of stuff.

Who was the guy holding Janela back in the Road to All Out video? He looks familiar, possibly from ECW? In the first video, didn't they say this was Atlas Security? They worked ECW shows, did they not?

• Like 1

That Moxley promo was probably his best since leaving WWE and serves a good reminder why people thought so highly of him before his time there. It's nothing fancy but there's conviction in his voice and I buy what he's saying. Straight ahead, no nonsense violence contrasted with Kenny's JRPG stylings. Perfect dichotomy setup and that match will be gold.

If this is what we have to look forward to with their weekly TV, I am even more excited for it than I thought I was. Hardly anything misses and they hit so many things out of the park. Each segment in that short video did an effective job of building up something for All Out. Pro wrestling isn't that fucking hard, thankfully. I mean, I'm still not loving the idea of 0 intensity/believable Shawn Spears here but they're doing about as good of a job as they can with it so while I don't love the broader decision at least they're building it up well.

@Casey that guy definitely looked familiar. Could be an ECW security guard. Fun little brawl there and that match definitely needs plunder. As much as I enjoy garbage match Janela, his work in EVOLVE and PWG kind of drove me nuts. Havoc is pretty good in vanilla matches but is unreal in garbage matches. Allin is a Swiss army knife and excels everywhere, including doing zany shit in no dq matches.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't need Spears to be just dripping with intensity or whatever. He's hitting it out of the park with the calm and collected swagger. Again, maybe just me, but I'm very much okay with Spears being in the upper ranks of the roster at this point in time for AEW.

Allin, Janela, and Havok get ready to start their Chicago Street Fight when Brandi’s a little too quiet music hits. She’s in full ring gear. SHE BRINGS OUT AWESOME KONG. Four Way Hell in a Cell. Post match, Aja Kong comes out. Second stare off. Next bit? Librarians join the Evil Order.

• Haha 3

Yes.

The arena is billing it on Twitter as the "first ever TV live event" from the Capital One Arena.

EDIT: Which looking at some of the shows that's been hosted there, obviously refers to AEW's first ever TV live event. Duh Casey ?

Edited by Casey

A 20k seater is ambitious. It's not the Mall of America but I guess that's cool too. Who is wearing The Lex Luger Shirt in the debut episode? Scurll?  

And what do you think they hit for an average attendance in say 4-6 months for their TV? I'm guessing 3-4k would be pretty great for them and anything better would be huge. It must be so difficult to book the buildings not knowing a baseline, not wanting to come off bush league with 50% or more of an empty arena on live TV, and yet also not leave a bunch of money on the table. Gotta feel they run a little more on the conservative side than they have with their one off shows and the debut because its way better to leave them wanting more and having short supply than looking half assed. Plus, there are some really awesome, unique venues they could book in that size range compared to the bigger cookie cutter arenas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

A 20k seater is ambitious. It's not the Mall of America but I guess that's cool too. Who is wearing The Lex Luger Shirt in the debut episode? Scurll?  

And what do you think they hit for an average attendance in say 4-6 months for their TV? I'm guessing 3-4k would be pretty great for them and anything better would be huge. It must be so difficult to book the buildings not knowing a baseline, not wanting to come off bush league with 50% or more of an empty arena on live TV, and yet also not leave a bunch of money on the table. Gotta feel they run a little more on the conservative side than they have with their one off shows and the debut because its way better to leave them wanting more and having short supply than looking half assed. Plus, there are some really awesome, unique venues they could book in that size range compared to the bigger cookie cutter arenas. 

They will get traveling fans for the first show so I think a full arena is the right idea. But after that they will have to draw local and I’d stick to 5k venues, at least for the first eight weeks or so and see where they stand after that. Impossible to predict 4-6 months from now. Hopefully larger than 5k venues. 

No fucking way. Tony Khan seems super ambitious and I can't see them being anything but disappointed with that. It ain't going to happen because, as Matt said, they'll get the traveling crowd for the debut regardless of the day of the week. It'll be closer to a sellout than the shit show of the G1 in Dallas (which was a good show with a lively crowd but looked like amateur hour). 

Edit: Matt, I get what you're saying that after 5 months of national TV exposure you'd be wanting more than 5k but I look at how poorly wwe is doing with live audiences and I'm not expecting aew to outdo wwe particularly once the novelty starts to wear off. 

Double edit: a friend answered my Luger shirt question by saying the Best Friends and he may be right on that. Not what I had in mind but they've already pulled off that dope Scott Hall denim look. 

Edited by Oyaji

I think my biggest concern is the size of the venue. Seems a little too big for their first show. I have no idea how they would feel if it didn't sell out or what should be considered a success. 20k seat arena...so would hitting the same 10k+ that they've drawn in not-Chicago or Vegas be considered a success even if it's less than half the total amount of seats in the arena?

Meltzer also said on Monday or Sunday that the early expectation is between 400k to 700k viewers, which seems...low?

I would have thought they would debut in a known hot area for AEW like Chicago, California, or most of Florida.  DC is an interesting place for the first show.  It is really based on how well traveled Bullet Club fans will be in order to fill that whole building up.  

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't it be "First-ever live TV event"?

Well if you really want to nitpick it isn't even the first ever live TV event because the ALL IN battle royal was on WGN.  Unless you consider ALL IN a Ring of Honor show.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

I was going to say, DC was also a somewhat important hub to WCW so perhaps there's some meaning there.

I'm not qualified in the least to run a wrestling company, but I still think the best plan to boost business or get started is to circle the hottest wrestling towns for the first handful of tours and then expand from there.

• Like 1