DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

He does have excellent matches in him, but he's a guy that generally needs a world class worker to drag them out of him.  Left to his own devices, they're generally a series of clunkers that never get moving.

He's one of those guys that can connect the dots a superior worker lays out for him, but he can't lay out those dots himself.  He's only as good as his opponent.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I wouldn't really call Aldis a superior worker. I think that Cody has some good ideas, but they are rather limited in a sense that they require specific environment to really work. Benefit of him being booker/whatever is that it is easier for him to stack the card in his favour, but you gotta question how many times can he really do that before it starts falling apart.

33 minutes ago, AxB said:

Cody had the best match at All In, and the best match at Double or Nothing. For almost all of his WWE run he was either green, disheartened or both. Judging him based on that is short sighted at best, and myopic at worst.

I saw him the year he did BOLA, I caught some of his NJPW stuff.  I'm absolutely not just judging him on his WWE stuff.  Nothing he's done has clicked with me.  As others here have said, he can be carried but there's nothing at all special about him, in my opinion. 

Edited by Technico Support

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

We're all complaining about a bland WWE lower-midcarder getting a push in AEW as if he's not wrestling a guy who fits that same description.  I for one applaud AEW for containing these two black holes in one match instead of spreading the suck about and hurting other possible good matches.

Your opinion seems to have shifted slightly in the last couple of hours.

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Your opinion seems to have shifted slightly in the last couple of hours.

Not sure what you mean.  First I said I found him bland, then I elaborated because it seemed you assumed I was only judging him based on his WWE work.  I said he does nothing for me.  God damn.  Is it okay to state an opinion on a wrestler without backing it up with a thesis paper and sources?  Like what you like, man.  Some dude saying otherwise on the Internet doesn't diminsh what you enjoy.

It felt like he went from being a black hole of suck that ruins everything he touches, to merely bland and unremarkable. From negative three stars to positive one star. Which if you were hyperbolically exaggerating to begin with, fair enough. Sliding from venomous hatred to resigned apathy is an inevitable process, but not usually a quick one.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

It felt like he went from being a black hole of suck that ruins everything he touches, to merely bland and unremarkable. From negative three stars to positive one star. Which if you were hyperbolically exaggerating to begin with, fair enough. Sliding from venomous hatred to resigned apathy is an inevitable process, but not usually a quick one.

Ah, I see what you mean.  I don't think I was too venomous at first, but maybe a little hyperbolic.  To me, he's definitely a black hole that I FFWD past, so putting two guys like that in the same match is definitely a win for me.   I can understand how he can be carried, but I'm not going to watch it, I guess.  Don't worry, I guess I do have weird tastes.  I don't like Will Ospreay, either, and Meltzer has him something like top 3.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

New BTE. The Rick Knox stuff they're doing each week is pretty funny, but one thing stood out...

So, I think I know who asked Kenny the mailbag question...

On 7/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, AxB said:

Does anyone else feel like Kenny Omega is no longer enjoying doing his "Goodbye and Good Night" deal? Seemed like he was really into it as a Bullet Club concept, but now he's not in the Bullet Club it's an obligation he's grown to resent a little.

AxB, you don't trust our answers enough that you had to go and ask Kenny himself? ?

• Haha 1

I'm not on twitter and never have been?. I was thinking about signing up, but only to ask if AEW PPVs were coming out on DVD. That thing last week was just making conversation.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna assume that is official details regarding the TV show but who knows

In the daily update Dave said the announcement will be made on Wednesday (makes sense). Curious how much of the schedule they’ll reveal in the beginning (they can’t just announce the first show, they’ve got to start booking venues and selling tickets). 

9 hours ago, Archibald said:

I wouldn't really call Aldis a superior worker. I think that Cody has some good ideas, but they are rather limited in a sense that they require specific environment to really work. Benefit of him being booker/whatever is that it is easier for him to stack the card in his favour, but you gotta question how many times can he really do that before it starts falling apart.

Cody is a really odd duck in that he seems to have a great mind (and having learned from some of the best) for all things wrestling except how to lay a match out successfully. I don't know that I've ever seen this particular combination of talents in a wrestler, in managers, yeah, pretty much stock in trade, you don't want Jim Cornette laying out a twenty minute match that he's in, that would be awful. But Cody just seems incapable of connecting the dots himself. He has great matches in him, but they need a superior wrestler to drag them out of him.

• Like 1

I thought Cody was the best in all the AEW shows, looked excellent in the Darby match.  Outside of some of the women's stuff, he's been my favorite but I have no interest in this Spears match. Though I also enjoyed Cody's work in NJPW and elsewhere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I thought Cody was the best in all the AEW shows, looked excellent in the Darby match.  Outside of some of the women's stuff, he's been my favorite but I have no interest in this Spears match. Though I also enjoyed Cody's work in NJPW and elsewhere.

I agree with you up until the Spears stuff. I'm interested in the match at ALL OUT, Cody can have a great match yes he CAN have a great match but only every so often and with a compelling story and a hint of realism to it. He shines at the performance element of wrestling he understands what "male soap opera" really means. 

Cody has in past interviews spoken very highly of Sean Spears as a person and a wrestler. Cody trying to put his friend over and also maybe being a little too honest calls spears a "hell of a hand" the biggest backhanded compliment in all of wrestling. Friend of not Sean isn't going to let somebody some kid he helped break into the business nonetheless talk to him like that. He crossed a line proving his point but hey Cody isn't gonna say something so disrespectful to him again. And Tully Blanchard looking for posthumous revenge on Dusty by targeting his son, is influencing Spears' action as of late.

I just made Spears into the Face I think.

Also Tully being involved in AEW has me optimistic that Tessa Blanchard shows up once her deal with Impact expires. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

Cody is a really odd duck in that he seems to have a great mind (and having learned from some of the best) for all things wrestling except how to lay a match out successfully. I don't know that I've ever seen this particular combination of talents in a wrestler, in managers, yeah, pretty much stock in trade, you don't want Jim Cornette laying out a twenty minute match that he's in, that would be awful. But Cody just seems incapable of connecting the dots himself. He has great matches in him, but they need a superior wrestler to drag them out of him.

I always thought the issue with Cody was the mind was there, the creative vision is there, but he just isn't athletic enough for his size.  He strikes me as a guy who would have been great 30 years ago as part of Lawler's rogues gallery, but that doesn't count for as much today.

The Dark Order doesn't need a new gimmick, they need new gear.  A lot of folks in AEW need a gear upgrade.  Kenny needs to hire out some cosplayer buddies of his.

Edited by alstein

1 minute ago, alstein said:

I always thought the issue with Cody was the mind was there, the creative vision is there, but he just isn't athletic enough for his size.  He strikes me as a guy who would have been great 30 years ago as part of Lawler's rogues gallery, but that doesn't count for as much today.

Look, as I sit here with knees that would be fine on a ninety year-old and ankles that are woefully free of cartilage I'm not going to question the athleticism of anyone that works as a pro wrestler, I've met quite a few and those guys are built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Raven and I are roughly the same size, the difference is that while I'm in reasonably good shape for a guy that pounds on a keyboard for a living, you pick me up and it feels like you're lifting a tub of goo, you pick Scotty up and it's like a box of fucking bricks. Now this is Raven we're talking about, not a guy known for being superjacked-up.

I have to question the not athletic enough part when we've seen Cody dragged kicking and screaming to excellent matches. Damn if you combined the wrestling ability of the elder brother with the mind for all of the extraneous stuff that Cody has, you would have the greatest wrestling machine that ever lived.

At Fight for the Fallen, I questioned why Marko Stunt was seemingly shoehorned into the Boy and his Dinosaur act.

But seeing the BTE skit and thinking about it, especially with AEW's right-on approach to inclusivity, there might be a place for a wholesome modern day take on the Oddities. They find common understanding on their shared experience of being cast out, whether because they are smaller than average, or because they are a 65 million year old reptile with a Masters Degree in Medieval History. 

• Like 2