DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I guess it fits with the theme of their shows, but Spears is also a big gamble. AEW is saying WWE had a main event level talent that they failed to appreciate and now Spears is let loose to prove them wrong. If he doesn't get over after beating Cody, which is the only result they can do if they want to establish him, Shawn is dead in the water and WWE is proven right all along. That's probably a way too meta way to look at this but that's the underlying theme to me.

Of course, this might not be about launching Spears at all. As has been said, he's 38. This angle could just be a one and done to give Cody a match for All Out and Shawn will ride off into the sunset after that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

DDP was 33 when he started wrestling.

Spears is 38.

I just see the guy as a less over Fandango that got released first.  But I like Fandango a lot more and feel like that's being mean to Fandango.

Maybe I just can't get over that Spears video with him shackled by plastic chains I used to sell at the Halloween store (even though they were the higher quality ones).

DDP was 40 when he finally clicked with audiences. 

If Spears fails as a character and draw,  it wouldn't surprise me. However, there's no real harm in giving him the shot. If he catches on, it really helps the perception that WWE doesn't know how to get the full potential out of its talent and makes AEW that much more attractive to free agents. If he gets over, it's one more guy to throw into the main event mix to keep a steady stream of programs on weekly TV. 

If he fails early, then you have a good hand who can help young talent and make him a gatekeeper for people on the rise. If he fails early, they can always spin it that they will give people a fair shot and let talent rise or fall on their merits. The only concern would be if they continue to push him after he bombs (like Baron Corbin) despite the feedback from the fans. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

If he catches on, it really helps the perception that WWE doesn't know how to get the full potential out of its talent

is there somebody arguing against this? it's not perception, it's reality.

i think Spears is doing just fine in AEW. i didn't see him much in WWE, but i'm interested in this feud with Cody at the very least.

• Like 1

He was in both FCW and NXT for with an indie stint in between. If he couldn't figure out a way to get more TV time when Tye Dillinger was paired with R-Truth for a few weeks, I don't have much hope for him now as Spears. WWE could have done something more with him, but not to the level of him becoming a main eventer, IMO. But maybe we'll be surprised with him in AEW.

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

If he couldn't figure out a way to get more TV time

That’s what bothers me about WWE. It shouldn’t be left up to the talent to figure out a way to get on TV. They have like 30 writers or something - but it’s not their fault either right now, since WWE is hoarding talent lately. They’d need another 2 or 3 hour show just to showcase the other guys that don’t get featured on the four brands.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I guess it fits with the theme of their shows, but Spears is also a big gamble. AEW is saying WWE had a main event level talent that they failed to appreciate and now Spears is let loose to prove them wrong. If he doesn't get over after beating Cody, which is the only result they can do if they want to establish him, Shawn is dead in the water and WWE is proven right all along. That's probably a way too meta way to look at this but that's the underlying theme to me.

Of course, this might not be about launching Spears at all. As has been said, he's 38. This angle could just be a one and done to give Cody a match for All Out and Shawn will ride off into the sunset after that. 

You can go either way on this depending on the reaction.   If Spears and Tully get over, you can carry it for a bit, if Spears dies, Cody buries him, Tully gets better horses, and Spears goes into the lowcard.

AEW has to gamble on some talents given the roster they have.  If I were them, I'd really talk to Court and try to get some sort of working arrangement with MLW.

I think they have already gambled on some of the talent in the way they have booked already. If we break it down, these are the guys I think nobody would argue are the main event guys... Jericho, Moxley, Omega, Cody. You could add the Young Bucks and Lucha Bros at this level as well even if they are in the tag division but would anyone be surprised if Penta or one of the Bucks picked up a win against a main event guy? Page and Spears are the two guys they are going to push immediately to get to that level. In three shows, the main event guys have had competitive matches with Dustin Rhodes, Joey Janela, Darby Allin and CIMA. Page had a competitive match with Kip Sabian. MJF is being primed for a main event slot. We can disagree with guys like Spears getting an opportunity to be put in the upper echelon but I don't think we can say they are holding guys back. If anything, maybe they are making everyone too competitive. If everyone is special, nobody's special. That's the worst case scenario for this company. 

I think the idea of a buffer guy is the natural instinct to having "Tye Dillinger" in a featured role. I don't think they sign Tully Blanchard for several shows, give Spears the interview with JR, and keep arguing that WWE didn't know how to utilize talent if the endgame was a buffer. I think they are going to try and get him over as a main event player. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Just so you guys know...

Reveal hidden contents

PAC isn’t The Open The Dream Gate Champion anymore after today.

Don’t know if it was the real reason for what happened a couple of months ago, or not, but that’s one reason down.

There's still a chance of visa problems. Of course, that doesn't have to be an obstacle if AEW chooses to do a show outside the USA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alstein said:

AEW has to gamble on some talents given the roster they have.  If I were them, I'd really talk to Court and try to get some sort of working arrangement with MLW.

Now I want to see an angle where Contra Unit invade AEW, kidnap Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus has to go to MLW to rescue him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

Speaking of Luchasaurus, AEW pulled him from an indie show in Alabama in August. The promoter is pretty upset on Twitter.

Was his opponent working with any other promotions that don't work with AEW?

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Speaking of Luchasaurus, AEW pulled him from an indie show in Alabama in August. The promoter is pretty upset on Twitter.

If WWE is smart they call the promoter and offer to allow them to have one of the name NXT guys as a replacement. Easy PR victory.

We're all complaining about a bland WWE lower-midcarder getting a push in AEW as if he's not wrestling a guy who fits that same description.  I for one applaud AEW for containing these two black holes in one match instead of spreading the suck about and hurting other possible good matches.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Cody had the best match at All In, and the best match at Double or Nothing. For almost all of his WWE run he was either green, disheartened or both. Judging him based on that is short sighted at best, and myopic at worst.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Cody had the best match at All In, and the best match at Double or Nothing. For almost all of his WWE run he was either green, disheartened or both. Judging him based on that is short sighted at best, and myopic at worst.

So how does that explain Cody's matches between WWE and All In with anyone not named Ibushi or Okada?

I'd also debate if Cody had the best match at All In, and DoN probably had more to do with being across from Dustin than Cody himself.

Edited by Raziel

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

His second match against Ibushi was rather bad as well.

The 3 way *was* pretty bad.  The Cody/Ibushi WK match was worlds better.