DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

16 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

They could put the actual ghost of Bobby Heenan in there as Spears' manager and I still wouldn't give a shit about the guy

It's hilarious how far they're willing to go to try to make Tye fucking Dillinger into a thing. Unsafe chair shots; getting better, younger, and more talented and marketable workers to do jobs for him; signing Tully... I guess they saw how everyone was feeling nostalgic for WCW, but instead of the Monday Night Wars, they decided to recreate the era of the company when the guy pulling the strings brought in his less talented buddies and gave them spots they didn't deserve.

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Spears' issue is that even outside of WWE he still seems like he's trying to act out script, whether it's his or someone else's words. That thing with JR wasn't an interview because Shawn didn't really answer any questions, he had his set promo and stuck to it. I guess the focus is good but he came off awkward to me. There's a reason his nickname isn't The Natural and it's not cause Dustin got it first.

• Like 4

Yeah, Spears really reinforced the perception that he’s Just A Guy in that interview.  He need to have some fire.  Reminded me of Matt Hardy’s famously bungled promo when he was rehired in 05.  Guy had a chance to redefine himself as a star and blew it.

• Like 2

I hope that the Spears thing ends up okay, but I really hope this Tully thing lasts as long as possible. Old man Tully trying to get revenge through Dusty’s kids makes so much sense. I’m now anticipating Tully, and Spears jumping Dustin with a baseball bat outside a liquor store.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I hope that the Spears thing ends up okay, but I really hope this Tully thing lasts as long as possible. Old man Tully trying to get revenge through Dusty’s kids makes so much sense. I’m now anticipating Tully, and Spears jumping Dustin with a baseball bat outside a liquor store.

Except Dustin is very vocally a recovering addict, so...

36 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Or he could be walking out of a Little Caesar’s with three large Hot ‘n’ Ready’s. Tully can jack his Crazy Bread.

I would say out walking his dog, but that dog might be bigger than Spears and Tully. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Is there any realistic way Spears gets elevated to something that won't fade away in a month or two's time without winning? I feel like if they're serious about him, he needs to win. I mean, he shouldn't but he should if they want him to succeed.

If Spears has a quality match that tells a story and he picks up the win then yeah I think it'll last.  I expect with Cody kinda being on fire right now that it will be a good match.  

13 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It's hilarious how far they're willing to go to try to make Tye fucking Dillinger into a thing. Unsafe chair shots; getting better, younger, and more talented and marketable workers to do jobs for him; signing Tully... I guess they saw how everyone was feeling nostalgic for WCW, but instead of the Monday Night Wars, they decided to recreate the era of the company when the guy pulling the strings brought in his less talented buddies and gave them spots they didn't deserve.

Ha, wha? Why doesn't he 'deserve' to have an angle/match with Cody?  A guy he has legit history with.  Because he wrestled for WWE where he actually got over despite them having no interest - which clearly didn't matter as they did nothing to further anything he did for himself.  I mean this is a company that  has continued to bury Cesaro in their mid-card because, even tho he was getting over, he didn't have 'IT'.  How long did it take them to push Daniel Bryan while he was the most over guy in the industry?  I'm not trying to suggest Spears is Danielson or Cesaro, but he's a talented guy with a ton of upside who was poorly used.  WWE sold this guy as a lower card nothing, and judging by some of the reaction it seems like they sold that idea pretty well!  First night in with AEW, working that battle royal,  he got one of the best reactions of the night - I'd say you oughtta take a chance on a guy who achieved that kind of response.  

10 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Spears' issue is that even outside of WWE he still seems like he's trying to act out script, whether it's his or someone else's words. That thing with JR wasn't an interview because Shawn didn't really answer any questions, he had his set promo and stuck to it. I guess the focus is good but he came off awkward to me. There's a reason his nickname isn't The Natural and it's not cause Dustin got it first.

I don't agree, I think that piece was very good/entertaining and did everything it needed to.  He came across as prickly and jaded by his own insecurity, and that absolutely works for this character.    

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah, Spears really reinforced the perception that he’s Just A Guy in that interview.  He need to have some fire.  

I'm not sure I saw the same piece.  Ha, seems like such irrational hate, but to each their own.  To me, and I know I'm one of very few that believe this here, but I see this as a great success or revitalization story (potentially).  To be fair, I used to see this guy working Ontario Indies and thought he really stood out from the pack.  Also, he always seemed very hard working, focused, and very affable - maybe that's why I'm blinded by whatever it is so many here see.  Truthfully, I never saw anything more than clips of him as 'Tye fucking Dillinger'. 

He'll either prove me right or prove me wrong, and WWE vice versa, very shortly.  But for now I'm very much digging Shawn Spears under the tutelage of Tully Blanchard.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ha, wha? Why doesn't he 'deserve' to have an angle/match with Cody? 

Because he's fucking Tye Dillinger. He is exactly what Cody described him as--he's a good hand, and he's capable of doing more than what the WWE was using him for; but at the end of the day, he's on the wrong side of 30, and he's never done anything to suggest that he'll ever be more than a midcarder. And having Darby Allin put his ass over was just inane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Because he's fucking Tye Dillinger. He is exactly what Cody described him as--he's a good hand, and he's capable of doing more than what the WWE was using him for; but at the end of the day, he's on the wrong side of 30, and he's never done anything to suggest that he'll ever be more than a midcarder. And having Darby Allin put his ass over was just inane.

I've tried to be nicer about the guy than this, but yeah, he's just Tye Dillinger. He had the briefest of windows after he had that Royal Rumble debut and that was about it. There's no denying he's a good hand, but he just ain't going to be someone people will stay tuned for.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has any notion(except maybe Shawn Spears himself)that this match is going to make the dude a main eventer. He is a good hand. He's a perfectly cromulant wrestler. And for a one off big match where he will likely transition afterwards into a midcard heel that dudes like Adam Page and Luchasaurus can feud with and beat. Not everyone has to be or should be a main eventer. AEW is going to need guys in the middle and at the bottom of the card. Spears can float around there. And maybe he will knock it out of the park and be something special? Do I think he will? No, I doubt it. But I am willing to watch and see.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

You've got plenty of time to build Darby up, and a loss in a 6-man isn't a burial.  Tye is someone you can do a short program with, have him lose out, then push him down into the mid-card to help out other talent over for a year or two.  Tully can toss him into the dumpster and hitch his train to someone else in his quest for revenge after Tye fails.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I'm of the opinion that Darby Allin getting over will not be effected by a loss in a six man tag or any losses.  He's a risk taker.  He'll probably lose a lot of matches, and it won't make a difference in his ability to get over.  Darby Allin is one of the extreme bright spots early on for AEW.  

Further, I get it, you bought him as Tye Dillinger, a WWE lower card nothing.  As I said, and as the old saying goes: to each their own.  I really don't think having him feud with Cody, a feud which he'll likely lose is offensive in any way - if he's a good hand as you say he'll be more than capable of putting together a good match with a Cody Rhodes.  Especially considering there's a pretty great backstory already in place.  The poster above has it right - even on the downside, he'll be a nice lower or upper mid-card guy.  Or... maybe he'll surprise.  Stay tuned.  

As I said, I like the guy and hope it turns out well for him.  And most importantly I think it looks good on AEW as a signal to the many many performers being misused in WWE that you might have an opportunity to prove your worth in AEW.  Especially if a 'no talent' guy 'whom nobody will be tuning into the show for' like 'Tye fucking Dillinger' makes good on a profile feud like this.   

• Like 1

If DDP didn't exist, I would agree with every criticism about Spears said in this thread. However, DDP was on the wrong side of 30 when he started wrestling. Was he even considered a good hand? He had the great match with PIllman before his breakthrough but people always credit Pillman. I'm not saying Spears is the next DDP but I want to see them try. 

• Like 9

DDP was 33 when he started wrestling.

Spears is 38.

I just see the guy as a less over Fandango that got released first.  But I like Fandango a lot more and feel like that's being mean to Fandango.

Maybe I just can't get over that Spears video with him shackled by plastic chains I used to sell at the Halloween store (even though they were the higher quality ones).

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

Age isn't my issue with Spears. He's just boring in the ring. He got the 10 stuff over, but the only time the crowd made any noise during his matches was the entrance. Him being in this company very much feels like Hogan cronies getting WCW jobs once he went there.

Maybe he will hit it out of the park. I just feel they are investing a lot of time into a guy whose best case scenario is upper midcard guy who can drop falls to the real main eventers.

Edited by Dewar
Fixing terrible typos
  • Like 4