DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'm enjoying Evil Uno embracing his horrible look tbh. He's an old school villain and he shouldn't look cool. His "gross" look suits his character of being a mean son of a bitch. Grayson does look way too much like Mini Rowe though for sure. Despite that, I really did love their touch on the match and they have fuckin' Putties!

The SSB/Dark Order have been together longer than War Machine/Raiders, and Grayson has had his look longer than Rowe has. So, Rowe looks like Stu Grayson's younger, bigger brother.

I don't have an issue with Evil Uno's look. It fits the character of a guy with a parade of minions called Creepers.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't have an issue with Evil Uno's look. It fits the character of a guy with a parade of minions called Creepers.

Exactly... The guy is supposed to portray an ugly disgusting comic book super villain. Hiding your figure like Kevin Nash hid his weird pudgy upper body, and chicken legs would be dumb.

You know what he is? He’s Danny Devito in Batman Returns.

0f60cd39f0e0faadb8209174becc0ba8.jpg

Although, if you wanted to put him in nice gear. You have MJF there, and maybe pull a little Max Shreck with that character.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I think the biggest issue that can't be easily fixed is Hangman Page. He is about to headline their major PPV and nobody cares about him. I feel like he has to deliver his career match here or fans won't buy him as main eventer going forward, he'll basically get a ceiling. Unfortunately he couldn't deliver that great match against NJPW guys, including Omega, and it doesn't look like has improved much if at all since G1. What makes things even worse is that he has rather limited dance partner. And three shows so far did little to nothing to make him look like a credible threat. And he got wins on all of those shows, I think he isn't clicking.

I don't know, I feel like Jericho/Page is a disaster in the making.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As long as I can recall. I first caught wind of the SSB in the early-mid aughts. At times, he also worked under a mask as Player Dos.

Cagematch says that Stu Grayson started in 2005.  Ray Rowe debuted in 2003. 

16 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I don’t think a disaster is the right word. But yeah, Page isn’t looking like the guy. They really should’ve just went with Kenny somehow as it was originally planned before PAC couldn’t make it to DoN. I mean it’s still pretty clear who the guy is with Kenny. 

Best thing would be Omega Vs. Jericho on episode one on TNT for the belt. You get a big outcome on your first episode that pops the crowd, and creates intrigue with Omega winning it. Or you can do Moxley winning it. It’s a really tough call honestly on who should be the champ after episode one.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I think the biggest issue that can't be easily fixed is Hangman Page. He is about to headline their major PPV and nobody cares about him. I feel like he has to deliver his career match here or fans won't buy him as main eventer going forward, he'll basically get a ceiling. Unfortunately he couldn't deliver that great match against NJPW guys, including Omega, and it doesn't look like has improved much if at all since G1. What makes things even worse is that he has rather limited dance partner. And three shows so far did little to nothing to make him look like a credible threat. And he got wins on all of those shows, I think he isn't clicking.

It could very well be a disaster.  More so, feels like Jericho-Helmsley trying to Main Event Mania after Rock-Hogan.  The Rock-Hogan in this scenario being the can't miss Moxley-Omega match.  That said, and to your comment, as somebody who had seen very little of Hangman Page prior to AEW, I think he's looked great and I'm interested.  But interested enough to make him a main eventer?  Questionable for sure.  That might be more so for how they booked him into this match - a pre-show battle royal?  Also, he should have annihilated Kip Sabian (further,  who the hell came up with the idea of calling a seemingly cultivated Brit 'superbad'? I can't think of a more inappropriate nickname.  Superbad=James MF'N Brown; not Chris MF'N Martin).  

I don't agree with the Jericho hate.  I think he's been excellent both in AEW and NJPW.  Sure he hasn't had the blowaway 6 star match or whatever, but his promos have been really good and his work has been steady.  I think or hope Jericho-Page surprise some ppl (myself included), but it'll be a difficult challenge.  Regardless, I still think Jericho is a good choice for heel champ.   

I didn't mean to hate on Jericho, but its just that it looks like he has moved into rather limited gimmick as far as his matches go. His opponent has to show up, Jericho is not going to carry anyone to a good match. And I don't feel like Page is capable of that. I also don't want to get too hard on Page, but he probably should be in midcard feuding with MJF instead of main eventing.

As far as champs go, I think that either of these would work: Omega, Mox, Cody, Jericho.

• Like 1

Omega-Moxley isn't going to be a crowd killer on the same level as Rock-Hogan, but the principle is the same: If one match is clearly the main event, it should probably go last. I thought Page and Jericho were going to have a tough act to follow before. Now throw in a Bucks-Lucha Bros ladder match? I hope everyone appreciates the challenge ahead of them here.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He had hair as Stu Grayson in the PWG matches I've seen though.

Regardless of who came first, who looks like who, I thought the Dark Order came away from their match looking great, along with A Boy and his Dinosaur.

I hope Jack Evans & Angelico get a match where they come away looking like stars. Maybe they'll look better in shorter TV matches. I really like Jack Evans and he deserves his shot for a major US promotion, like Aries, Strong, Sydal, and Shelley (depending of your view of TNA at the time) have gotten.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t think a disaster is the right word. But yeah, Page isn’t looking like the guy. They really should’ve just went with Kenny somehow as it was originally planned before PAC couldn’t make it to DoN. I mean it’s still pretty clear who the guy is with Kenny. 

Best thing would be Omega Vs. Jericho on episode one on TNT for the belt. You get a big outcome on your first episode that pops the crowd, and creates intrigue with Omega winning it. Or you can do Moxley winning it. It’s a really tough call honestly on who should be the champ after episode one.

I don't disagree that a different path ought to have been cut, but it wasn't.  Swerving into a different match is not gonna work.  So best thing would be to focus on how the hell they're going to make it the most important match on the show.  Now, how they do that I have no idea.  Other than making sure to program a good lead in and that Page and Jericho have the match of their lives.  A difficult challenge, but not impossible.   

26 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I didn't mean to hate on Jericho, but its just that it looks like he has moved into rather limited gimmick as far as his matches go. His opponent has to show up, Jericho is not going to carry anyone to a good match. And I don't feel like Page is capable of that. I also don't want to get too hard on Page, but he probably should be in midcard feuding with MJF instead of main eventing.

As far as champs go, I think that either of these would work: Omega, Mox, Cody, Jericho.

I didn't mean you per say, there seems to be a lot of anti-Jericho sentiment.  The idea of 'carrying' depends on your idea of that word.  Carrying in the sense of doing a lot of insane maneuvers, or the bulk of the exciting offense: no, he won't be carrying Page or anybody in that regard.  But laying out a smart match and leading the way,: yes, I think he is capable of that. 

I agree that an MJF mid-card feud and continual build in the mid-card is where Page needs to be after this.  Let's hope this Jericho match helps rather than hinders a chance at returning to the main event in the future.  

I think Cody is best to stay out of the title picture for now, as to show some credibility as a booker, and sound politics, but he definitely feels like the face of the company right now.  I'm continuously impressed with his big match presence.  And both his in ring (other than that weak springboard kick he does) and promo work has been fantastic.  Moxley and Omega are great suggestions too, but the reality is Page and Jericho are the ones in the match, and I for one look forward to ole Lionheart's Championship heel run.    

28 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Omega-Moxley isn't going to be a crowd killer on the same level as Rock-Hogan, but the principle is the same: If one match is clearly the main event, it should probably go last. I thought Page and Jericho were going to have a tough act to follow before. Now throw in a Bucks-Lucha Bros ladder match? I hope everyone appreciates the challenge ahead of them here.  

I think you're right on all accounts.  I have a feeling they just might surprise.  

The womens tag was decent enough for something that was added to the card last minute. With the reception that Bea got it's a shame she kinda got thrown on with little build. Surprised with Riho taking the pin from someone who is largely unfamiliar and isnt signed. 

Nothing against the work Brandi has been putting in to improve, but she is rather bad and Allie has never been that great to me. Sloppy match that I dont think did either woman any favors. The involvement of Awesome and Aja was a nice distraction but I'm not excited if their program is parallel to anything more with Brandi and Allie

Omega vs Cima was pretty intense fun. Thought the outcome was obvious, but Cima looked strong here and he wore Omega down up to the ending stretch. 

23 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Maybe jazz up the pants with an Evil logo? Spooky glitter on the mask? Iron Sheik style shoes?

We've got very different perspectives on this.  The pants, the mask, and the boots are just fine - I wouldn't mind a sleeveless t-shirt  ripped at the collar.  Tho, i do agree with the theory that his flabby pale look fits the character. He and Grayson made a fantastic in-ring debut last night - a highlight of the show.  Very excited to see more of them.  I just hope AEW doesn't continue misusing the lights out for their feuds.  On the otherhand, great lights out at the EVOLVE show for Heyman.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Yeah, I don’t get where all the Jericho hate is coming from.  Yes, that elbow is lame, but he has yet to have a bad match during this run.  Even his match with EVIL (who is very much a Hangman-tier dude in NJPW) was very good.  Dude shows up to work.

Anyway, I think some people are worrying too much about Jericho/Hangman.  The crowd will be game to play along like they are at every big AEW/NXT/NJPW US show these days, and Hangman is a bump freak who will die at least a half dozen times to make it memorable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Valcourt said:

If these smaller time guys know that, how is that not a thing in the 6 man where the finish was a DVD in the ring, but one was done on the apron earlier for an big spot?

I think the Death Valley Driver overkill was a shoutout to us! No, I think it was actually because of what you were saying. In an early match, someone did a Kamikaze Crash into a Moonsault. Then later on, someone else set one up and then switched it to a DVD because you can't have undercarders doing main eventer's moves (and Kenny did do the You Can't Escape sequence in his match).

Nobody does a running Samoan Drop where they run their legs out from under themselves and fall backwards, do they? Everyone either stands still to fall back, or runs to roll forwards. Or hits it as a pop-up counter to a running opponent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I don’t get where all the Jericho hate is coming from.  Yes, that elbow is lame, but he has yet to have a bad match during this run.  Even his match with EVIL (who is very much a Hangman-tier dude in NJPW) was very good.  Dude shows up to work.

Anyway, I think some people are worrying too much about Jericho/Hangman.  The crowd will be game to play along like they are at every big AEW/NXT/NJPW US show these days, and Hangman is a bump freak who will die at least a half dozen times to make it memorable.

I look forward to Page taking a Nestea Plunge bump off Jericho's springboard Drop Kick at ALL OUT.