DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Impressions:  If I wanted to see something this long and flacid I'd look in the mirror.

Good and bad with this show.  Too fucking long in every aspect of every match. 

Sonny Kiss with the dope entrance and a good showcase of his skills.  Happy for him.

Women's tag was all kinds of fucked up.  It felt like Shoko was the only one that was any good when in reality everyone but Riho is pretty good.  Poor Shoko did a picture perfect Kamen Rider kick off the top and they called it a dropkick.  Where's your nerd cred at Excalibur?  Five minutes or so of this match ruled and it fell apart.

The six man teased more Darby/Janela.  Fucking bring it.  This was the one match I felt went a little short for what it was.

Brandi match wasn't the match I liked the least so there's that.  I like Awesome Kong and an Aja Kong appearance can save anything, I guess.

I loved the three way even though I didn't feel like the Gueros got enough shit in.  Everyone else looked great and was more over as a result of this match than they were before it.

Kip vs Page suuuuucked and was so goddamned long.  I didn't give a shit about the match going in and they made it feel worse.  I'd rather see a Joe Lider match and he's fucking garbage.  Fuck I hope Page/Jericho is three minutes long at this point.

SCU vs Lucha Bros and Kenny/CIMA are what I was looking for in this show and what I want to see from AEW, maybe minus 5 min from each.

Dustin Rhodes is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.  I also like the Young Bucks.  Cody doesn't actively bother me most of the time.  This match was putting me to sleep and I was pretty hyped for it going in.  Show was too long, match was too long, and they made us spend four fucking hours with Marvez on commentary.  Thanks guys 

Edited by Tromatagon
I had a really good dick joke to add
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I missed that. Probably explains why Britt looked sloppy out there. Bea needs to pull her shit back. Those strikes looked good last night, but in retrospect, they looked too good.

yup, concussion confirmed.

• Sad 2

Speaking of concussed, Fenix looked like he got fucked up after that springboard legdrop. Then it looked like he gave Kazarian a receipt with that solebutt to the face. From then on they both looked frustrated with one another. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I'm watching the show in pieces so I missed a few matches but in getting caught up:

• Sonny Kiss is good, I'd like to see him get more to do. Librarian gimmick still sucks but this is my first time seeing Avalon and he seems like he could go places.
  • 6-man was well done. Good character work all the way through and a sensibly booked finish. 
  • Tag three-way was another great showcase match. I agree the Dark Order are great in the ring, they just need a bigger budget for gear to polish the look. Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus are getting way over the more we learn about them and I could see them becoming the first tag champs like when Rhyno and Heath Slater made plans change. I'll be fine with some real 2 on 2 matches soon though.
  • Awesome Kong was great as a second.
  • Currently watching Page/Sabian and I'm not that into it. Forgone conclusion, spotty selling, too much time. Page should've steam rolled him on his way to Jericho.
  • SCU/Lucha Bros was good stuff, not too overwrought and the right guys won. I noticed Kaz being out of position a couple of times too, and yeah Fenix looked annoyed. Post-match promo was rad.
  • CIMA using mostly Meteoras with bad knees is really dumb. The guy has a ton of moves in his arsenal, I guess he forgot all but two of them. And again, a foregone conclusion. But otherwise I really enjoyed it. CIMA's style is better in the mid-card instead of an opener.
  • Main event could've been a classic if they hadn't gone so long. It's this kind of thing I was worried about when AEW started, three of the bosses indulging themselves in main event "epics" and failing to time things out well (I'm obviously inferring a lot). Still fun and Dustin rules.

The Good: Cima-Omega was certainly good.  I thought the Six Man Tag was strong, and made me look forward to more of these.  Spears, MJF, Darby, Janela, and Havoc all looked good here - Gueverra was good at times (he could benefit from some seasoning).  The 3 Way tag was pretty solid tho total bonehead booking on the Stunt interference.  Page-Sabian was fine - of all these overlong bouts, this would have benefitted the most in shorter form.  I am new to the Hangman but digging his talents.  That said a lot of pressure on him going into a PPV Main Event - is he ready? 

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm really enjoying the unhinged crazy old man Jericho.  The creative freedom works well for him. 

The Bad: Rhodes-Bucks - er maybe not bad?  Too long for sure.  Some nice spots, but too much cute bullshit - stop with those choreographed double move sets.  Tho, this is the Bucks thing, right?  Absolutely hate that shit already (will I last as an AEW fan?).  Women's tag was terribly disappointing.  The Joshi girls looked incredibly weak thru much of it.  Bea Priestley intrigued me.  After 2 matches I am trying to tell myself Britt Baker isn't overrated and lacking in talent, but I'm wrestling with this idea. *EDIT: A concussion is said to have happened and it makes sense.  Whomever said it was correct - this women's division is looking pretty weak to start.  

Lastly, the Lucha Brothers-SCU.  Enough of the indy-riffic and incredibly lame mic work.  I really like SCU, and I love Daniels twirling his mic strutting about, but we really don't need them eating up time with their New Age Outlaws inspired nonsense - let's cut that shit down.  Also, what the f%&* is that Pentagon Jr. glove shit about - another spot making their refs look like idiots.  The Luchas are capable, and I think I like them, but they do all kinds of dumb shit that seems to be completely accepted amongst the fanbase.  I hope weekly national television, with guys watching back the tapes of their segments with discernment, that they clean up some of this shit.  Catchphrase bullshit is WWE lite, and enough already.  The match itself wasn't all that bad, maybe my expectations were too high.  More blatant interference in front of the ref.  At least Daniels was tossed.

The Ugly: Alex Marvez is completely unqualified, and everybody knows it.  Yeah, you could make an argument that he's only had 2 shows, but if it smells like shit and sounds like shit... Further, JR is still yet to find his legs, I think the 3 man booth is not helping.  Marvez's awful commentary is a clear problem, but JR and Excalibur need to get better too.  Excalibur is overselling so much - I can't stand being told how great a match is.  Tell me how physical it was or whatever, but don't tell me, the viewer, who isn't enjoying it, that the Rhodes-Bucks match is great and historic.  Have some respect for the intelligence of the viewer.  He's also overselling talent in unnecessary ways that doesn't help put them over.  Not to mention his lame esoteric namedropping - I mean I know those guys (Maeda, Sabre), but it sounds lame.  I'll hold back on this being a bad thing, it's just a thing, but I'd love it if they called moves by their universal names rather than the personalized gimmicked name.  Unless, of course, it's a finisher.  Especially when the same move is used in every match with a different name each time.  

Brandi-Allie: just terrible.  Brandi is a great valet, and I bet she's working hard behind the scenes.  That said, she has no business being in the ring.  This is the second match for Allie and 0 for 2.  Tho, I suspect from the fandom that she's just been saddled with a couple of turds.  I'm into the Kongs, but Aja wasn't saving anything there.  Horrible.

I really dig Aubrey Edwards work thus far, but she and they fucked up with Riho’s pin in the six woman tag.  

Librarian-Sonny Kiss: why was this even on here.  I like Sonny's charisma, but he has one of the weakest looking move sets I've ever seen.  The goddamned top rope splits!?  Peter Halston was kept to a minimum with this horrible gimmick, but still 'why even bother?'  

Last of the uglies, with the money they have, they need to get a stylist in.  A number of performers could be elevated so quickly with some style guidance (Jimmy Havoc, the Dark Order, Angelico, most of the Gaijin women, Sabian, etc.)  And I don't think it's ever changing, but the music this company is using is amongst the worst I've ever heard.  It's like we've stepped back in time to the late 90s and the worst it had to offer.  Such an incredible array of bad taste.  It's comical how bad it is.       

In closing, this was a weak show, but it had some moments and it's only show number 3. I have a lot of patience for this crew.  They're doing a lot of things right - I like Cody's reply to a question about going over time in the press conference - that they want there guy's getting time and that's why it ran long. Glad they want there guys to have time, BUT just program less matches/segments!  Watch an NXT PPV for example.

My hope is they take seriously their mistakes, and learn from them.  We'll know quickly if they're capable of peering out of their bubble and seeing what doesn't work.  The continuation of the Librarian gimmick and Dirty Chin Marvez is a sign that suggests they have not gained the ability to look at the product objectively.  But again, it's only the third show.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the main issue with the main event was that they were trying to tell a story without a real deep background to it. Instead they really should’ve just had a fun 15 to 20 minute tag match to close out the show. People complained about the six man from Fyter Fest, but in retrospect it was unwarranted. Those 6 realized they were out there to have a fun rivalry match. This should’ve been the same, and dropped the psychology for this in-between show. Maybe like I said last night. This should’ve been a multi-man that added some of the pieces from the six man(Spears, and MJF), Jericho, Page, Cody, Young Bucks to build up some of the rivalries. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

My main thought after the AEW shows so far: who thought it was a good idea to have a grey ring canvas? It looks so shabby. No one looks good wrestling on that thing.

Come to think of it, the visual/design aspect of the shows has been pretty bad in general. They've managed to make everything look and feel simultaneously gaudy and drab.

Like HarryArchieGus said about the music:

12 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Such an incredible array of bad taste.  It's comical how bad it is.

• Like 1

The wrestlers gear had been mentioned earlier and it’s a great point. I first noticed that a lot of the guys had on Very similar gear. Not a huge deal but it stood out to me. Lots of green. Aside from the Lucha Bro’s. No one really looked big time. Time for some of these dudes to invest in their gimmicks. 

The roster are a bunch of tiny dudes. Luchasauraus looks like a legit monster around these guys and that’s one of the reasons the crowd loses it for him. He looks so different from everyone else and he’s got a great athletic and flashy offense that looks hurty. 

Joey Janella has been a guilty pleasure of mine but him rolling out of the ring and saying “Fuck you Cornette,” was very lame. What’s the point? What does that do?

I really hope they work with the guys in their individual move sets. I’ve been on small Indy shows where a spot is done in the first or second match and the guys in the back say, “ok, that was a spot we planned. Can’t do that now.” If these smaller time guys know that, how is that not a thing in the 6 man where the finish was a DVD in the ring, but one was done on the apron earlier for an big spot?

Im over analyzing this show too much, but I’m seeing things in AEW I don’t like and I hope they fix soon. 

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Aubrey Edwards gives me feelings.

Aside from that I kinda feel the same way I have about the other AEW shows. Decent enough use of a couple of hours of time. I'll give their weekly show a go once it starts up. I think a lot of the things like the similar gear and greenness can be chalked up to growing pains, and I'm willing to give them a chance to get things going in the right direction once they're on weekly national TV.

I haven't watched the main yet, but CIMA-v-Omega and SCU-v-Lucha Bros both ran too long, in my opinion. I also find it offensive that Jerry Lynn has a whole head of hair in his 50s.

Edited by Ace
  • Haha 2

JR should be trotted out for the big matches only but I doubt his pride would allow it in AEW. I thought he did really well for the most part at DoN and I had no desire to hear his old, cantkerous ass on commentary. This was a step back for a lot of things and exposed a lot of easily fixable problems with the promotion. I still had a good time watching but they've got some fyiiixin to do. 

I love these post game Q/As.  I'm wary of things when listening to Khan lack objectivity here. 

That isn't to say I expect him to bury anybody, but simply addressing that 'some things worked well, some things need some work' would have been suffice.  To suggest this show was great and that the length wasn't an issue is problematic.   

From the interviews I've seen, the one thing that has concerned me is a lack of humility/openness to criticism. Going off his work at Fulham, he seems like a tinkerer too which may be good and bad.  But I'm very wary that if he thinks it's a good idea it must be a good idea thought process I've heard from him. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

Guest Edwin

Skimmed through the thread and didn't see a mention of it, but everyone on social media is starting to really hate @FLWrestlingFan and it's hilarious. Everyone was annoyed at Fyter Fest and were even more annoyed with him getting in Jericho's face.

Also, everyone seemed to have popped when Kip leaned into kiss him.

Is he that guy at the NXT who was screaming at Ciampa calling him the devil and ALWAYS seem to get into the Street Profits stuff. Yeah that asshole needs someone  to tell him that no matter how much work he does he will always be #2 behind Izzy at fandom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Skimmed through the thread and didn't see a mention of it, but everyone on social media is starting to really hate @FLWrestlingFan and it's hilarious. Everyone was annoyed at Fyter Fest and were even more annoyed with him getting in Jericho's face.

Don’t talk about him. He might get some joy out of being acknowledged. 

Now I want a Sonny Kiss/Naomi tag team one day. 

I’m in the minority as I think the women’s division has tons of potential and they’ve been my favorite matches out of the last few shows. Not sure about this Brandi thing yet but I’m willing to let it play out. 

13 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I’m in the minority as I think the women’s division has tons of potential and they’ve been my favorite matches out of the last few shows. Not sure about this Brandi thing yet but I’m willing to let it play out. 

I agree they’ve usually been one of the highlights. I think what worries me is if they can’t bring in the joshi’s anymore(Who have been the real standouts). Can the native talent really hold up this division. It’s really hard to say after watching these three shows. Nyla Rose was great at Fyter Fest, but how much of that was working with joshi talent that was willing to take her offense, and not die afterward.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On second watch, SCU-Lucha Brothers was much better than my first impression.  The pre-match mic work was really weak, and made me wonder if we're going to see these guys doing the same thing over and over and over again.  I really like SCU, but tired of catchphrase sing-a-longs - leave that bs to the New York territory.  But the match itself was excellent.  I have really high hopes for Scorpio Sky.  I really like what he's doing and see a huge upside.  The way JR puts him over I'm assuming they see it too.

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

On second watch, SCU-Lucha Brothers was much better than my first impression.  The pre-match mic work was really weak, and made me wonder if we're going to see these guys doing the same thing over and over and over again.  I really like SCU, but tired of catchphrase sing-a-longs - leave that bs to the New York territory.  But the match itself was excellent.  I have really high hopes for Scorpio Sky.  I really like what he's doing and see a huge upside.  The way JR puts him over I'm assuming they see it too.

It certainly seems like the arc for SCU is to eventually launch Sky as a singles guy and let the vets transition to behind the scenes. And honestly, the sooner the better. I can't stand that intro promo they do either.

• Like 1