DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

43 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

If Janela got ripped he would kill his dirtball that doesn't give a fuck gimmick.  Next you guys are going to say he should ditch the Pit Vipers.

This reminds me of the Jake Roberts story where he got ripped while out on injury and then got yelled at by Vince as it hurt his gimmick.

Edited by Wyld Samurai

Moxley got an ego massage. Not only did he easily defeat the man who broke Zandig's spine, but he also got Kenny Omega to let everyone know "This guy is in my head" so he's got the psychological edge. And the "You hit your best shot and I took it no problem" factor. It's the smile of a man who thinks he's won the war before the first battle.

• Like 5

He looks like Kenny Rodgers got a good message.

BTW, since Alvarez made this a hot button issue recently on WOR about the Stomping Grounds PPV. Me, and everyone else noticed they weren’t showing the in-ring action on the screen. This was annoying not only when the action spilled into the crowd but also, when the action spilled into the side of the ring in front of the entry way. I can totally understand the reason for this, because the last time I’ve been to sporting events they’ve put the action on the screen, and its taken my eyes off the action. Also probably for kayfabe reasons too. But dammit when you do a brawl into the stage area, please be fucking ready to put whatever is going on there on the screen. The entry way action I can accept because it’s the nature of my view, but not the brawling into the stands.

BJJ does not equal taking a DDT on steel. Or being hit with a guitar. Or taking a piledriver on the floor.

Look I get the intention. I get it. But it's like when Nic Cage gets shot in Con Air and keeps walking. Like that sounds cool, but it takes me out of the movie every time.

Derp thoughts

- Maybe give Joey Janela better pants? I don't need to see him get buff. Unless if it's an issue of healthy, I find his body fine. He can be a dirtball and less tone while killing himself, but up the production value of the outfit. His match with Hangman at All In was great and I loved the stapler spot at DoN (although either the camera or their angle was a botch in execution). This was mainly just to put Moxly over. I felt the unsactioned bit was cheesy, instead of being a street fight. 

- I like Cody. 

- Darby is nuts. I'm in. 

- The unprotected headshot was kind of a bummer. I liked the idea of Shawn Spears coming out and starting a fued with Cody, plus it allows the match to remain a draw without the crowd getting too irritated about it. The problem comes down to the fact that we're talking about the specific spot/ botch and not that Shawn Spears attacked him. They'll play it up on the YouTube videos and build it to a good rivalry. I just was thinking more on Cody to the point of forgetting about the attacker.

- Lucha Bros are great. I show there pictures to my buddies to tell them to check out AEW when it gets on TV and with how cool their masks are that's what they're most excited about.

- Best Friends hug is always a great moment. 

- Christopher Daniels vs CIMA made me very happy. Two legends having it out and if AEW gets big you know they'll both be rightfully honored.

- I thought Junglebow was going to be a cheesy concept, but he won me over. Him being carried to the ring by Luchasaurus is wonderful.

- Keep building up MJF vs Hangman. 

- I like fun bits, but not a fan of the Librarian stuff outside of BTE. 

- These shows have been my only Joshi experience, and I really want to dig deep and look more of these wrestlers up. They really captured the luchadores in WCW special attraction feel that it seems they were going for. 

- Who is the biggest star? Or even who is Mr AEW? Jericho wasn't here, is arguably the most recognizable, and has a win over beloved Omega. Omega and the Young Buck are who the die hard fans flocked to AEW. This show was Moxly crowning as star power main event badass. Hangman is in the first title match but has only been in the midcard or pre-show. 

- Kip Sabian vs Hangman Page at Fight for the Fallen? 

- Fight For the Fallen is coming up quick! 

- I want to see El Hijo Del Vikingo and Taurus in AEW. Taurus murdering Darby would be fun.

- Derp

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Hangman is in the first title match but has only been in the midcard or pre-show. 

I was thinking about this. Mox vs Omega looks even hotter after last night. Meanwhile, Hangman was JAG in a midcard four way. They still have a lot of work to do. Should be an interesting two months. MJF was the clear star in that one. 

Speaking of MJF, he's sitting there with back-burner tension with Page and now a genuinely sympathetic moment with Cody to build off of. Talk about being in the catbird seat.

Whoever called Spears vs Cody based off the videos, cheers. Can't remember who that was.

The storytelling in these Cody matches has been really good. Guy's still a natural heel though. Felt right when he started laying into Darby with the weight belt. Wonder if he's gonna get off the fence and pick a side eventually or keep riding this tweener stuff. 

The less said about the pre-show, the better. Bad comedy is bad, but it's not the first time I've suffered through it and the super topical six month old Fyre Fest doc bits didn't touch the main show. No reason to descend to Cornette-like hysterics. 

I'm neutral on the chair shot. I see the arguments against it, but in moderation it has an effect. I felt it worked in the moment. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Speaking of MJF, he's sitting there with back-burner tension with Page and now a genuinely sympathetic moment with Cody to build off of. Talk about being in the catbird seat.

...And none of it is going to be paid off on the next two shows. Basically saying “You are the guy we are planning to build the future around”. Guy has got a big spot made.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

BJJ does not equal taking a DDT on steel. Or being hit with a guitar. Or taking a piledriver on the floor.

Look I get the intention. I get it. But it's like when Nic Cage gets shot in Con Air and keeps walking. Like that sounds cool, but it takes me out of the movie every time.

Oit of all the things that is hilariously absurd about Con Air... its Nic Cage walking after getting shot? ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

If Janela got ripped he would kill his dirtball that doesn't give a fuck gimmick.  Next you guys are going to say he should ditch the Pit Vipers.

This is a fair point, but he doesn't need to be ripped, he needs to look like a competitive athlete or his opponent looks weak for selling his offense.  I like the suggestion of his being a manager.  I'd also suggest maybe a t-shirt and a more ECW style look.  Raven, Dreamer, New Jack, Sandman, etc. all hid their flawed bodies well and did so by pushing forward their gimmicks.  I really wasn't into ROH/Sapolsky's push for everyone to wear lil tights in the early aughts, and I don't think the continuing influence benefits the likes of Janela.  

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This reminds me of the Jake Roberts story where he got ripped while out on injury and then got yelled at by Vince as it hurt his gimmick.

I get what you're saying here, but Roberts look, or lack of, is often overstated in these conversations.  He was tall and imposing enough.  He also had crisp offense that sold any shortcomings of not being 'ripped'.  

33 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I want to see El Hijo Del Vikingo and Taurus in AEW. Taurus murdering Darby would be fun.

I researched Laredo Kid yesterday by watching his pretty fantastic AAA match with El Hijo Del Vikingo.  I thought Vikingo edged out Laredo as arguably the stronger performer.  I read after that Vikingo has VISA issues, but I'd have to assume he's on their radar.  Curious to see this Taurus you speak of.

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Whoever called Spears vs Cody based off the videos, cheers. Can't remember who that was.

Ha, I wrote following the Fyter preview video with Spears...

Spears promo was a slight bit cornball, but excited to see this sonofagun get a shot.  Sorta strange finish - with the praise from the executive and Cody strangely replying he'd be a 'good hand'/good coach (like Billy Gunn, agents, etc.?).  

To which this gent replied...

On 6/12/2019 at 11:38 PM, Oyaji said:

Obvious set-up for a match.

Ha, and he was completely right.  I like that I got worked there briefly.  

The storytelling in these Cody matches has been really good. Guy's still a natural heel though. Felt right when he started laying into Darby with the weight belt. Wonder if he's gonna get off the fence and pick a side eventually or keep riding this tweener stuff.

He's riding it beautifully.  I'm really surprised what incredible presence Cody has.  Tho, I saw next to nothing of his WWE run.  His look and the belt swinging is reminding me a lot of Hollywood Bollea, and I very much dig it.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Oit of all the things that is hilariously absurd about Con Air... its Nic Cage walking after getting shot? ?

Yeah, the rest of it practically a documentary.

The preshow largely sucked, but I really dug the 3 way tag match. Private Party looked awesome and Best Friends rightly won. I think they'll wind up in the finals of the tag tournament. Unfortunately the Dark Order are dead in the water. That's twice now they've tried to do something with them and twice now it was nearly the worst thing on the show.

Tonight it wasn't the worst thing on the show. The rest of that preshow...yeesh. I get that Jebailey is only wrestling because it's CEO and all that, but damn, this needs to be the last and only time this happens. The Librarian stuff isn't remotely over as a comedy gimmick, but I could see it working as a heel gimmick.

Thankfully the main card was pretty good. Not as good as DoN, but still a lot of fun and really good.

Perfect opener in that CIMA and Daniels didn't look to steal the show, but they did put in a perfectly entertaining and technically sound match.

I really liked the women's match. I thought Nyla Rose looked great and I'd rather watch her than Nia Jax. It probably helped that her opponents were great as well. I think I would have had Rose win, but whatever.

The 4 way match was good. Each guy was getting in his shit and looked good. Jungle Boy is going to be a star. MJF and Adam Page are going to have a really good feud once the Wednesday show starts. Page rightly won and looked really good, but MJF looked that much better.

Cody and Allin. Damn. I like both of these guys so much. Cody is so good and so is Darby. I really don't want to see Darby killing himself out there in every match though. He's too young and too good and doing shit like the Coffin Drop to the outside where no one is catching him is going to fuck him up. I liked that the match ended in a draw. The time limit means nothing if some matches don't end in a draw and in this case it showed that Cody couldn't beat Darby. The post match angle was fine. Like I said, the chair shot didn't bother me, but the commentary constantly bringing up CTE did bother me. That just really rubbed me the wrong way. At least this sets up the next match for Cody, which if they're at all serious about Spears, Cody should lose.

Loved the 6 man tag. Fucking awesome. Loved the gear for the Bucks and Omega. Loved almost the entire match. I really hope AEW can lock up Penta and Fenix. Laredo Kid too if they can.

I liked Moxley vs Janella a lot. Just the right amount of violence except for the sick ass Die Hard spot with Janella's feet. Jesus. Fuck that. Moxley is such a star though, and feels like the biggest deal in the company. 

A couple of you mentioned it, but it's weird that the first champion is going to be Jericho or Page when it should be Omega vs Moxley. I didn't think that before this show, but this is the hottest feud in wrestling with two of the biggest names in wrestling. If we could turn back time and do things differently I would set up Jericho vs Page to be the first challenger.

Other notes...Goldenboy is such a better 3rd man than Marvez. FIX THE FUCKING AUDIO FOR ENTRANCE MUSIC. Damn. You gotta figure this shit out already. It's like they're using the shittiest mic they have to capture the audio for the broadcast. Camera work was better this time.

Listening to the WOR recap, Meltzer didn't seem to like the Fyre Festival gimmick for the show. He critiqued the main event by calling it "violence for the sake of violence."

I could be wrong, but he made it sound like he was given a heads up about the chairshot spot ahead of time.

He did say he was given a heads up. 

I also thought that the Fyre Fest gimmick was kinda lame. It would have been less so if this event happened closer to the two Fyre Fest documentary releases. It also just needed to be funnier and instead came off as the same BTE goofiness, but with better cameras. It works on BTE because it's just friends fucking around with their iPhone camera, but on TV it just doesn't work as well. At least it was just kept to the preshow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm really surprised what incredible presence Cody has.  Tho, I saw next to nothing of his WWE run.  

The system they have does its best to smooth the personality out of most guys. At his best though, Cody always seemed to lean more on the character side of wrestling. Dashing Cody Rhodes becoming Disfigured Cody Rhodes after being hit with Rey Mysterio's knee brace was a proper good story. Had goons handing out paper bags to fans so they could hide their ugliness from him. He's always sort of gotten that.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3