DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Good show but not great.

- Opening three-way was great and PP came across like total stars. 

- I’m with everyone that the Librarian stuff is bad but I’m now wondering if the point isn’t to lean into it to get heat. Bates looked good actually and she seems like she could be a good heel. Kind of a waste of Allie who mainly sold and the match could have been shorter. 

- The Jebailey stuff didnt need to be on TV, though the crowd responded to it. It was good for what it was meant to be It looks like they have decided that the pre-shows are gonna be BTE payoffs and comedy and I’m not sure that’s the best use of that medium but the fact that the comedy isn’t on the main show seems to me that they are aware of what they are doing.

- Daniels and Cima was fine. Bit underwhelming. Daniels is best suited for a tag.

- Women’s match rocked. Great showcase and everyone looked great.

- Fourway had some fun moments though Jimmy Havoc felt superflous. They have several guys who are really only good in death matches but they don’t need to overdo that.

- Cody and Darby was good but below expectations. Darby had a much better match with Mox a few weeks back. Liked the time limit draw, and Darby with the right build can be a huge babyface. 

- Six man was every version of that match ever. I mean, it’s bonkers but it all starts to blur. I’m begging for more singles matches. Great match but like WWE ladder matches, you’ve seen it dozens of times.

- Main was fun. Glad they recognize that Mox is the guy. Janela was good too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The Librarian stuff was an argument FOR hiring writers.

Damn you people! I actually liked that corny shit. I think I was the only one to notice that Leva using a Pedigree was a reference to WOW’s Disciplinarian. Match should’ve ended with Leva catching an open book, read it, and then Allie nails her with a Van Daminator.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

If he is talking about the opening video on the pre-show then he isn't that wrong.  I believe the guy was trying to make the joke about the guy who sucked dick in order to get enough water for the fyre festival.  Again if you get the reference it was probably funny.  If you didn't watch the documentary then yeah definitely not.  Still don't know what the apple is supposed to mean

So Tony Khan excuse for the unprotected chair shot is that the chair was supposed to be "gimmicked" which I guess means the seat was going to fly off.  Not sure how that makes it safer but sure why not. 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

re: the blood after the chairshot being legit or not, i havent looked at it closely enough but people on reddt are saying the top part of the chair went over his head and tore the skin which is why the blood appeared to be coming from the opposite side of where the shot landed.

I didn't have an issue with the pre-show. I thought Private Party came off looking like stars, even in defeat. The aftermath specifically established a feud between Best Friends and the Dark Order since the Dark Order attacked Best Friends and Angelico/Evans at DoN.

I don't see a problem with the Dark Order having their minions appear at ringside playing mind games with the Best Friends, then magically be gone when the lights come back on. It's professional wrestling, hokey stuff happens A LOT in wrestling. 

I  find the Librarian stuff amusing. The Bucks made Peter Avalon the librarian. Cody and Kenny promised the gimmick to Leva. Leva is a very good wrestler, so I'm glad she got a spot in AEW. I like Avalon's attempted help going wrong. It's a low-card comedy angle. With the amount of complaining about it, you'd think it was the angle the company was being booked around.

Jebailey vs. Michael Nakazawa was fine for this particular show. It wouldn't make sense to have it on any other show without such a close video game connection. 

I'm not going to argue with anybody over what belongs and doesn't on a wrestling show. Watch what makes you happy. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So Tony Khan excuse for the unprotected chair shot is that the chair was supposed to be "gimmicked" which I guess means the seat was going to fly off.  Not sure how that makes it safer but sure why not.

How did they plan to "gimmick" a metal folding chair? Horseshit reasoning.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I’m fine with the unprotected chair shot. It doesn’t bother me at all. ??‍♂️

Same. Kind of like when Punk broke out that piledriver on Cena...do it once in a while for importance, and it’s ok.

Not something I want to see in throwaway undercard weekly TV like you’d get in 1999 or 2000.

• Like 6

Uh, so, one match in and JR refers to Japanese wrestlers as...oriental wrestlers.

That is not the preferred nomenclature. More thoughts later.

Oh yeah...the weird audio for entrance music continues. Come on people.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Uh, so, one match in and JR refers to Japanese wrestlers as...oriental wrestlers.

That is not the preferred nomenclature. More thoughts later.

I cringed when I heard that. On a positive note, he's managed to not slip and drop any offensive terms about Nyla for two shows.

Decent show but I did like Double or Nothing a lot more. Of course this was more of a house show so makes sense.  I really like Darby Allin and I thought he and Cody told a great story.  Darby was super focused but Cody was just too big,  too strong so Darby had to find another way and the story they told around Cody's hand was good stuff.  Plus,  Cody sold it well pretty much the rest of the way.  

I didn't hate the Shawn Spears stuff but I think it would have worked better if used on a different show.  This should have been simply all about Darby getting a draw out of Cody.  

For what it's worth, AEW fans were blasting Cody for having the chairshot on the show- they didn't like it.  Hopefully they don't do it again.  It just doesn't fit what the fans want.

The Jebailey stuff would make Corny clutch his pearls, but for that show- it's fine.  I'm happy for Jebailey though- on the FGC side of things he really is one of the good guys and he's getting to live the dream some.  If AEW has him around once a year I'm fine with that- he can be their equivalent of Pete Rose getting tombstoned by Kane every year.

I couldn't bring myself to care about Janela.  I didn't get to see the whole show because I was at a local fighting game tourney today instead which went long.  I just wish I wasn't at local competitor level these days.

Edited by alstein

6 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I take back what I said about the chairshot. I think he was bleeding hardway. There’s an image floating around that shows the top of the chair wrapping around Cody’s head. I just can’t seem to post it from mobile. 

https://www.imgur.com/cxz6jLF

I’m looking at the replay. I’m remembering what I saw live. There was no way it wrapped around. That picture is doctored. This is Keith Hernandez all over again. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The chair shot doesn't bother me at all. It was one chair shot to the head and not a ton of them. Things like that should be one-off so this one remains a big deal.

But Cody isn't going to be any worse off for taking that one chair shot than he would be for taking any other bump. I think the announcers also contributed to how uncomfortable the chair shot was by mentioning CTE, getting tested, etc.

It's not something I want to see all the time, but I don't have a problem with it being done every once in a long while to get something over.

• Like 1

Well we know how wrestling works. Wrestler A gets his heat, then later on Wrestler B gets his heat back. Shawn Spears is going to be the recipient of a unprotected chair shot to the head in the near future at All Out.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think the announcers also contributed to how uncomfortable the chair shot was by mentioning CTE, getting tested, etc.

It's not something I want to see all the time, but I don't have a problem with it being done every once in a long while to get something over.

Cody was either convincingly selling like he had a concussion, or he actually had a concussion. If it was selling, he's underrated as a seller. Did he do the post-show press conference thing? Because if he didn't, he might be really hurt. Or intentionally skipping it so people think he's really hurt.

• Like 1

Putting aside the broader debate, I think it has to matter that Cody is essentially his own boss. Had Darby taken the shot, you could argue—not easily, since he’s who he is—that pressure to perform from a higher up made him agree to a dangerous thing. If Cody felt any pressure, it was what he applied to himself. 

Honestly I think my biggest problem is that the whole thing distracts from Darby—who should be a star—to put heat on a stop gap feud involving a guy with a much, much lower ceiling.

• Like 3