DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hate going against my own vague policies and this will make it the third place it is mentioned but...

WWE just announced they will be streaming EVOLVE 10th Anniversary Show live on the Network.

That just so happens to be at the same time as Fight for the Fallen

Fight for the Fallen or WWEvolve? Not a tough decision for me.

4 hours ago, alstein said:

If Kenny puts out half the effort he put out for CEO x NJPW last year, it will be worth the price.  Lovers vs Naito/Hiromu was every bit as good as Lovers vs Tana/Ospreay last December.

The other matches with NJPW talent were all fun as well.

Yes:

I’m thinking Jericho and Page have an in ring interview segment with JR or somebody that gets physical.

I was wondering when WWE was gonna run against them. And here we are. Adam Cole vs Akira Tozawa and Drew Gulak vs Matt Riddle have been announced. I’ll save Evolve talk for the Evolve thread but this is a crazy move by the WWE in a good way and shows that they consider All Elite real competition.

So wait, WWE’s in the wrong to counter program a charity show?

They are not running in Jacksonville. Isn’t Fight for the Fallen gonna be free on Bleacher Report or are they charging for it with proceeds going to the charity?

if it’s the latter not the former I can see the argument. If All Elite is streaming the show for free with only the live fate going to the gun violence charity then I don’t see the harm as they aren’t taking money away from the charity.

Eyes away from the product with a network special charity show or not I do t think it’s a sin against mankind to run it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Good news at least, historically speaking the company that counter programs first, tends to lose the war.

Edit: 

That is a fucking fantastic video. Remember all the praise we heaped on the Billy Corgan NWA videos? These are better than those. This is the best shit in wrestling today. In the United States at least.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Still amazes me that people thought/still think their TV will have stuff shot like it is on Being The Elite.

Y'know, on iPhones.

Well, one of those people was EN090, so, I mean, that tells you all you need to know.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

On a normal night sure but this is not an awesome move by them for the reasons already stated here and elsewhere. 

For what reason? BR Live is giving the show away for free. Evolve being on the network takes away no money from BR Live, or the charity. 

How long have they had to sell out? An announcement three days before the event should have very little impact on ticket sales. 

With the money they are paying their workers and front office, how do they expect to make any proceeds off this? 

21 minutes ago, Dewar said:

How long have they had to sell out? An announcement three days before the event should have very little impact on ticket sales. 

The event in question is July 13th. 

56 minutes ago, Dewar said:

With the money they are paying their workers and front office, how do they expect to make any proceeds off this? 

Fyter Fest is a sponsored show. Fight for the Fallen is charity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wasn't told that Jake fucking Roberts was going to be an analyst for upcoming AEW events.   Tony Schiavone was great too. 

Yeah, and I didn’t think either watched the product. They must’ve been given great bullet points, and two carnies made it believable. Especially on the Young Bucks. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Tony definitely watches AEW and keeps up with what was going on. He was approached to be an announcer, but it interferes too much with his baseball and college football announcing duties and he doesn't want to give those up. Tony talks about AEW enough on What Happened When.

13 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I’m thinking Jericho and Page have an in ring interview segment with JR or somebody that gets physical.

I was wondering when WWE was gonna run against them. And here we are. Adam Cole vs Akira Tozawa and Drew Gulak vs Matt Riddle have been announced. I’ll save Evolve talk for the Evolve thread but this is a crazy move by the WWE in a good way and shows that they consider All Elite real competition.

The WWE vs AEW Wars Part 1: Shots Fired (unfortunate metaphor)

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The event in question is July 13th. 

Okay, 18 days. Tickets have been on sale for two months before they announced they would stream the Evolve show. 

52 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Okay, 18 days. Tickets have been on sale for two months before they announced they would stream the Evolve show. 

Isn't this moving the goalposts a bit? 18 days is more of a significant chunk of time than the three you originally thought it was. That gives them over two weeks to promote or advertise when and where to watch the Evolve show, which will be on against a charity show. I don't think anyone really gives a crap if it was just any other ordinary show, but they've wanted to hold this show for victims of gun violence for awhile now.

EDIT: Also, this isn't even the 10 year anniversary for Evolve. Their first show was in January 2010. So the number of the show, 131, is an irrelevant number and it's not an anniversary for anything.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2