DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

On 6/24/2019 at 7:02 PM, tbarrie said:

What exactly would be the advantage to AEW in running their show on Monday anyway? Business is not a zero sum game. Their goal should be to make money, not cost WWE money.

What's the point in taking shots at WWE?  Don't yip and yap from the porch if you don't want to run with The Big Dog, baby girl.

People calling them the number 2 wrestling company in the world before they even ran a show and now they can't compete head to head with WWE at their creative lowest cause TNA failed on Monday night almost a decade ago on a different network.

It's not like running on Monday night costs more than running on Wednesday so there's no financial consequences.

Cowards, I say!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

What's the point in taking shots at WWE?  Don't yip and yap from the porch if you don't want to run with The Big Dog, baby girl.

People calling them the number 2 wrestling company in the world before they even ran a show and now they can't compete head to head with WWE at their creative lowest cause TNA failed on Monday night almost a decade ago on a different network.

It's not like running on Monday night costs more than running on Wednesday so there's no financial consequences.

Cowards, I say!

Fine, you got it! Four whole hours of AEW Monday Night Dynamite! Also don’t forget TNT’s Monster Vision with your host Joe Bob Briggs will be starting at a whole new time on Friday’s at midnight on TNT.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BEN! said:

That ad split probably becomes a lot less lucrative if advertisers and agencies see a more established brand running a higher-rated wrestling program at the same time as yours. While it might not be more out of pocket to produce the shows, that's still an opportunity cost. 

It's way too early to be talking about Mondays. For as much fun as it's been to speculate and skip down memory lane, we have no idea what this thing will even look like yet. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Dusty made Ricky Morton submit to a Boston Crab in 25 minutes 39 seconds. 94% match rating.

Tajiri pinned Sabin with a Superkick (which is imitating the Buzzsaw Kick) in 31 minutes 24. 100% match rating.

Does this now set up Dusty & Arn vs. Regal & Tajiri

Naah. I was going to do a 4 generations of AJPW tag tourney though, now I've got Zeus and Miyahara. Other generations being Misawa & Kawada, Tsuruta & Tenryu, and Baba & Dory Funk Jr or someone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And considering Fyter Fest is free does anybody else find themselves trying to get whoever possible to check it out?  I've been getting the word out to some friends and the idea of AEW working with CEO has drawn some interest from them.  I just hope that for a free show there's a good chance of curious people checking it out.

Ive gotten one of my friends back into wrestling. He’s excited about aew but I doubt he’s signed up for b/r live so I’ll have to remind him. We went to g1 special in San Francisco and the nxt house show/tv taping in San Jose, and recently he asked what’s the next show we’re going too. 

In the group text with my close friends, I occasionally send big wrestling news like the official tnt announcement, and the interest level is very low haha. I also bring it up to coworkers who have expressed a passing interest in wrestling, and there isn’t much return engagement on those conversations or texts as well haha. Hopefully the tv show will turn things around but we are still firmly in the bubble. But I love wrestling and try to share it without being annoying. 

• Like 1

For my fellow Canadians, I just signed up for B/R Live and can watch all of the free content, including the replay of the Double or Nothing pre-show. Should be good to go for Saturday then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, matt925 said:

Ive gotten one of my friends back into wrestling. He’s excited about aew but I doubt he’s signed up for b/r live so I’ll have to remind him. We went to g1 special in San Francisco and the nxt house show/tv taping in San Jose, and recently he asked what’s the next show we’re going too. 

In the group text with my close friends, I occasionally send big wrestling news like the official tnt announcement, and the interest level is very low haha. I also bring it up to coworkers who have expressed a passing interest in wrestling, and there isn’t much return engagement on those conversations or texts as well haha. Hopefully the tv show will turn things around but we are still firmly in the bubble. But I love wrestling and try to share it without being annoying. 

You're a good person.

I have one wrestling friend and we have to hide in a cupboard at work to talk about it.

Edited by King Leonidas Of Sparta
  • Like 1

3 days away and I'm getting pretty exciting for what might just be a throwaway show, but I'm hoping it's maybe a beta run for what future TV shows or PPVs could look like. At the very least, the one thing I want is for them to get their audio issues sorted out so you can hear the entrance music for the wrestlers, which would go a long way towards identifying who's coming out. For example, I know Jericho comes out to Judas, but it sounded so drowned out, almost like how it would sound on an indy tape/dvd. Besides that, I can recognize the Bucks' music because I've heard it plenty of times before, I could hear Cody's music, but for anyone else, I couldn't tell you what their music sounded like. Dustin Rhodes sounded like he came to that one Green Day song because all I could hear were just a few chords.

Other than that, just keep the show fun and fresh. No one needs to be dropping anyone on their heads or doing anything stupid. That goes for Janella and Moxley too.

Edited by Craig H

Card is too stacked for it to be a throwaway show.  Even if they decided to do all fuck finishes, which they won't, the match-ups they have going on should be worth watching, especially for $0 (sorry some of you foreign weirdos have to pay)

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Fine, you got it! Four whole hours of AEW Monday Night Dynamite! Also don’t forget TNT’s Monster Vision with your host Joe Bob Briggs will be starting at a whole new time on Friday’s at midnight on TNT.

You joke but I'm sure @Tromatagon would be all over that in a heartbeat.  Thank goodness for his show on Shudder.

• Like 1

Yeah I prefer the Shudder show big time.  Monstervision just cut all the good shit out of the movies.  His other show on The Movie Channel before that was legit though.

I love Joe Bob but my life goes like this now:

I see a cool movie and tell my friends they should watch it.

They don't. 

Joe Bob shows it and they love the movie.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

I hate going against my own vague policies and this will make it the third place it is mentioned but...

WWE just announced they will be streaming EVOLVE 10th Anniversary Show live on the Network.

That just so happens to be at the same time as Fight for the Fallen

HHH will say that this is just a coincidence and it was planned well in advance and blah blah blah as if Vince has never counterprogrammed competition before.

And it's fine if they want to counterprogram. I don't begrudge them for doing so.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Card is too stacked for it to be a throwaway show.  Even if they decided to do all fuck finishes, which they won't, the match-ups they have going on should be worth watching, especially for $0 (sorry some of you foreign weirdos have to pay)

If Kenny puts out half the effort he put out for CEO x NJPW last year, it will be worth the price.  Lovers vs Naito/Hiromu was every bit as good as Lovers vs Tana/Ospreay last December.

The other matches with NJPW talent were all fun as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

HHH will say that this is just a coincidence and it was planned well in advance and blah blah blah as if Vince has never counterprogrammed competition before.

And it's fine if they want to counterprogram. I don't begrudge them for doing so.

They're counter-programming a show for charity.

Shit, I didn't see Omega tweet about it, and looking it up I think he pulled the tweet.

EDIT:  Saw it in the pro wrestling thread.  Good for him.  Should have kept it up.

Edited by Tromatagon