DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

On 6/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Technico Support said:

Flair might make off with the belt and try to use it for collateral on three different loans while also committing to selling it to Highspots.

He's had plenty of opportunity for that with Charlotte being a 7-time champion.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Seriously. Is he trying to trigger me so hard that I get another AEW thread closed?

*goes outside to have a smoke and calm down* 

You don't get to talk about other people's pronunciation. You're a Massachusetts vowel mangler. Besides which, as an Englishman I automatically win all discussions of the vagaries and contradictions of the English language, innit?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

You don't get to talk about other people's pronunciation. You're a Massachusetts vowel mangler. Besides which, as an Englishman I automatically win all discussions of the vagaries and contradictions of the English language, innit?

Is this about me adding u to words because I’m Canadian? Or is it more of a than vs then thing? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

There used to be this TV show in the 80s, called Through the Keyhole, where a guy would explore the house of a famous person, while the studio guests would try to guess who lived there. It was presented by an upper class Bostonian called Lloyd Grossman. His catchphrase was always "Who would live in a house like this?", but because he was a Massachusetts vowel mangler, he'd say it like "Heeeeeeugh would leayurve in a heeuse liyek theeeurse?". I thought it was an affectation, but then years later I heard Bob Ryan discussing a basketballer called LeBwaaaaan and realised that it's just that people from Massachusetts can't pronounce vowels properly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

And Ryan is originally from Jersey, so his accent is now likely a weird mashup after all these years.

I went to Las Vegas in 2006. I met a guy from Wisconsin. I obviously knew he was from the midwest from his accent, but I only said a few words and he said he knew I was from New Jersey. Up until then, I hadn't realized the New Jersey accent was so easy to identify. 

...and I'm not even from North Jersry, where it's closer to a New York accent or South Jersey, where it's weird mash-up of a Philly accent and a southern accent

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 6/18/2019 at 1:54 PM, Archibald said:

. In the end it looks like whole purpose behind Mox in NJPW might be to elevate Juice and maybe White in Japan. Just like Juice's big win against Cody happened not in USA, but in Japan.

I'd like to see this. White getting roughed up by Mox and deciding to step up his game and become a little more violent (embracing his inner "Knife Pervert," maybe?) would be a fun little storyline. 

• Like 1

As somebody descended from a good few Massholes, and related to a huge amount more via marriage (and Southie folk at that!), let me just say that the VAST majority of MA and all around New England don't sound like complete idiots. Most of us have the "Hollywood English/no accent" accent.

Thanks, Affleck. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

As somebody descended from a good few Massholes, and related to a huge amount more via marriage (and Southie folk at that!), let me just say that the VAST majority of MA and all around New England don't sound like complete idiots. Most of us have the "Hollywood English/no accent" accent.

Thanks, Affleck. 

My company is based out of Boston, we have another office close to Boston, the majority of my team are in MA or NH, and most have an accent.

I swear I thought that match was already announced. Kinda weird to be doing face vs face or is Allin a heel? His promo didn't make him sound like a heel. Cody straddles the line, but right now he seems more face than heel.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

His promo didn't make him sound like a heel. Cody straddles the line, but right now he seems more face than heel.

Cody’s like Flair. He’s top face, but he’ll work heel depending on who he wrestles. 

To me that’s how most top faces should be booked today.  Like Vinces brief edict was “there weren’t really any faces or heels”, but like a lot of Vince’s edicts, he never really understands these concepts he thought sounded cool coming out of the coffee boys mouth. Heck WMAC Masters got this right for their Dragon Star champions. I mean did you ever see  The Machine hang out with other Masters in the lounge when he was champ? Fuck no! Was he a heel? No, but the fact that the Dragon Star champions never hung out with the Masters came off as dickish. So now you the fan, and the Masters want to see this champion get knocked down a peg. That’s the kind of booking you should thrive for with your champion.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Neither of Dusty's sons inherited his One True Babyface likeability*. Then again, the whole Son of a Plumber routine doesn't work for Son of a Legendary Hero.

* Dustin comes closer. But a pretty big part of me wishes he'd just been Dustin his whole career, and never done the Goldust gimmick, or Seven or Black Reign or anything.

• Like 1

I actually feel that Cody could possibly get very close to Dustys likability.  I mean most of Dustys charm comes from his body, his charisma, and the way he talks. I believe Cody does have Dustys charisma. You see it in the way he smiles, and his gift of gab. The other two, well it’s unfair of us to tell him to get fat like his dad, and I don’t know if a white man speaking jive nowadays can fly.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Cody’s like Flair. He’s top face, but he’ll work heel depending on who he wrestles. 

To me that’s how most top faces should be booked today.  Like Vinces brief edict was “there weren’t really any faces or heels”, but like a lot of Vince’s edicts, he never really understands these concepts he thought sounded cool coming out of the coffee boys mouth. Heck WMAC Masters got this right for their Dragon Star champions. I mean did you ever see  The Machine hang out with other Masters in the lounge when he was champ? Fuck no! Was he a heel? No, but the fact that the Dragon Star champions never hung out with the Masters came off as dickish. So now you the fan, and the Masters want to see this champion get knocked down a peg. That’s the kind of booking you should thrive for with your champion.

The reigning Dragon Star champion never hung out with the other Masters because they were sitting on the throne in the arena the whole time the show was going on, which was part of the champion's job.  Unless they were flashbacks or the rare exception, every one of those backstage hangouts was supposed to be while the show (as in the actual tournament fighting show within a show) was happening around them.

Edited by Tromatagon

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

The reigning Dragon Star champion never hung out with the other Masters because they were sitting on the throne in the arena the whole time the show was going on, which was part of the champion's job.  Unless they were flashbacks or the rare exception, every one of those backstage hangouts was supposed to be while the show (as in the actual tournament fighting show within a show) was happening around them.

You telling me Turbo couldn’t hang out with the crew while  Ying Yang Man, and Tsunami were dicking around at the Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show? The audience of fucking masked ninjas wouldn’t have noticed!

23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I actually feel that Cody could possibly get very close to Dustys likability.  I mean most of Dustys charm comes from his body, his charisma, and the way he talks. I believe Cody does have Dustys charisma. You see it in the way he smiles, and his gift of gab.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Cody's a natural ratshit heel.  He hit his brother in the balls and then had the audacity to ask him to be his tag team partner while the man was bleeding half to death.

Dustin's a good natural babyface.  Sells great.  Fires up big.  Got that dopey sad dog face for the easy sympathy too.

On 6/18, All Elite Wrestling applied to trademark "Wednesday Night Dynamite", so that may be the night they choose to air their TV on TNT.

It's cute people think they got to choose the night.  Both TNT and AEW are cowards for avoiding Mondays.

9 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Cody's a natural ratshit heel.  He hit his brother in the balls and then had the audacity to ask him to be his tag team partner while the man was bleeding half to death.

Dustin's a good natural babyface.  Sells great.  Fires up big.  Got that dopey sad dog face for the easy sympathy too.

Are you kidding me? Dusty used to have a spot where he flip flopped and flied until he had his back to a dizzy opponent. Then he distractedly stared into the refs eyes with his baby blues, and donkey kicked them in the nuts. Dusty was no angel! Ask Baby Doll!