DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

On 6/15/2019 at 6:28 PM, TheVileOne said:

Take it for what it's worth but Dave Meltzer said the ticket demand for All Out of people attempting to buy tickets was in the range of 137,600. He said he's not seen anything like that since Anderson Silva fighting in Rio de Janeiro in 2011.

I would say the number might be accurate in terms of IPs accessing the website

BUT

I used to bot shoes for resale, so it doesn't mean as much as he might think it does.

• Like 1

This idea that Dave doesn't like WWE and is completely in the bag for AEW is pretty funny.

I mean, have any of you actually read the Observer or regularly listened to WOR? I'm guessing for many it's no and you just see others report on what was said on WOR. 

If you did regularly listen to WOR and read the Observer, you'd know how Dave frustratingly defends WWE constantly. Alvarez is the one who really doesn't like WWE and Dave is always arguing with him about it. Even when Dave tries to compare WWE to WCW, he still winds up defending it, sometimes in the same breath. 

Regarding AEW, Dave is always bearish on their success. He didn't think All In would be an immediate sell out, thought that DoN wouldn't sell out immediately and said it would probably do 7000 to 8000 seats the first day, he predicted a much lower buyrate for that show, and he again thought All Out would only do 7000 or 8000 seats the first day. Even on Friday he couldn't flat out say that this company is selling out like they are because they're that good or people want it. It's always couched with a statement like "a lot of these people aren't WWE fans so I don't know how they're doing it" or "scalpers will probably make up 2000 of the seat buys." He's also been realistic about how they're probably not going to do this when they're putting on a show each week.

I will say that yes, Dave is more excited for AEW and he probably sees that as the better promotion, but damn, it would be fucking weird to not say that. AEW is doing almost everything right while WWE is sitting the bed more and more each week. If one of my duties is to review the product, I don't see how you could heap that much praise on WWE lately, but even then Dave still tries to comment on something good or tries to defend a booking decision or whatever.

• Like 5

I listen to WOR almost daily. I don't believe Dave hates WWE and you're right he does defend WWE a lot even some of the shit that is nearly indefensible..  but these past few weeks he's been going a little crazy with the AEW projections.  I don't believe they would have clearly sold out Soldier Field,  for example. It would have an 80,000+ capacity for a wrestling setup. It's one thing to sell out a 15,000 seat arena and I think that's awesome and everyone involved should be proud.  But to sell out a football stadium,  let's take a breather here and just applaud the success without going overboard.  

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I find it hilarious when people get on Dave for his biases and closeness with some of the performers/management. Like, yeah, sure. But all media should be consumed with healthy skepticism and an awareness of the tastes and machinations of the people making it. Why do I get the sense that the people who are most concerned about Dave's JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY don't read anything other than wrestling news? Dave being too close to some of the people he covers is hardly the most problematic example of that sort of relationship. 

It's fine and all. But he says dumb and awkward shit alot.

I've rarely heard Meltzer defend WWE lately. 

Edited by TheVileOne

For what it's worth I don't think WWE should be defended lately,  at least not since maybe Money in the Bank? I don't even know.  RAW has sucked for well before WrestleMania; I think most would agree that Money in the Bank was a good show but other than that I don't know what they've put out there that could be defended.  The firefly Funhouse is fun.  Not much else.  

I don't mind Dave being excited about AEW,  I'm excited about AEW..  I have friends who have given up on WWE that are excited for AEW.  Plus,  Dave is friends with some of the people.  But some of these tweets and comments he's made?   No,   chill out a little bit. 

Dave mentioned in the update today, Tyson Fury has 500k searches on google yesterday which was good for 4th most. The fight was at mgm grand and the attendance was 9012. When aew sold out the show in 4 minutes, they didn’t crack the top 20 on google searches. We are talking about a very niche group of diehard fans, but still nothing close to mainstream. Hopefully the tv show changes that. 

For sure they would have sold out t-mobile in Vegas, and united center in Chicago. I bet with no cap they could have sold 25-30k for these two specific shows. But it’s insane to think of an nfl stadium. Bellator cracks the top 20 in google searches on ppv days, aew has never done that. It’s a super diehard niche audience. 

Jesus. Dave and Gonzalez were joking when they talked about selling out a stadium. They both know that wouldn't be likely.

This is something else that bugs me - people taking everything Dave says literally and then treating it like it's gospel. He's on a podcast where half the time it's train of thought shooting the shit type stuff.

I think issue is that Dave has many "fans" that do selective quoting to make him sound ridiculous/stupid. Like how some of them were pushing the idea that Dave loved Naito/Ibushi despite him being critical of those dangerous spots and eventually not giving any rating to the match. So lots of people end up seeing only those quotes and think that this is really what Dave thinks/says.

I haven't listened him for a while, but I remember year or two ago he would defend Reigns a lot, but those quotes would rarely, if ever, make wrestling twitter/reddit.

Laredo Kid is the mystery 3rd man(You go to Hell, Laredo Kid! ...Straight to Hell!) for the Lucha Bros. at Fyter Fest.

BTW, check out the tag team title match that’s highlighted here. I actually overall  liked the tag match between them at Double Or Nothing, but I thought this one this past Sunday had the stronger finish.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Dave may be the least articulate professional word-combiner I've ever read/listened to--this is where the Jack Sparrow "But you have heard of me" quip would go--so he does, in some respects, make himself an easy target. His passionate engaging with trolls also spurs things on. Mostly though I think he's a victim of his own success and commensurate stature. People can cultivate a pretty substantial online following by dunking on Dave.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not going to believe it until Rippa posts the tweets. ?

But I post a Meltzer tweet is it really the truth

u-g-F5EYCR0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

So basically everyone that had the site open on three different devices to try and get through counts as three people?

To that queue system, yes. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

He was basing that on the people in queue for tickets right? It's a flawed system but he should qualify that statement with where he's getting that idea from. 

He was and if Niners listened to him on the podcast he'd know that was tongue in cheek or is just using people in queue as an example. It's an extremely crude way of looking at the number of people in line and saying what they could have sold out. For example, why even mention Rogers Centre? The point of it is not so much where they could sell out, it's just that if you have that many people in line you could.

It's also just Dave seeing everything in black and white and extremely basic terms. "There are X amount of people in line - of course they could sell out an even bigger building." That's not him promoting AEW, it's him not understanding the logistics of the situation because he sees things very literally.

Or in other words, stop treating everything Dave says as gospel. He's good at reviewing wrestling. He's not a logistics person, he's not an analyst, hell, he's not even that good at thinking up wrestling angles considering his weird defenses of WWE angles and thinking a WWE angle is something it isn't. He's good at making estimates of buyrates based on a number of factors, but that's not even anything special because anyone could do the same. Hell, I'm not even sure if he's that good at that because he bases that stuff off of Google searches and feedback on his website, so it's not like he even understands that the data he's using is flawed.

He's extrapolating based on previous performances. It's a shot in the dark, but he's fired so many shots into so many dark target areas, he can sort of vaguely guess where the bullseye might be.

• Like 1