DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

He's funny enough in BTE right now that I think he can avoid it. When they stop the show as tv starts up and present him purely as straight laced handsome awe shucks babyface is when you may see that arise especially if he's getting constant opportunities that his reactions don't match with like this one. 

I've got all I want already in the Darby push for now so I'm good. I cannot wait to watch his growth. Apparently he and Mox tore it up in NEW last night. Hopefully Highspots Network posts that sumbitch sharpish. 

Regarding the venue sizes, I think the Jacksonville show is a good indicator for weekly tv. It’s not a destination, it’s a 5500 capacity venue and tickets have been on sale for well over a month. Still like 1000 out there. 

I think a lot of these crowds so far are a lot of the same die hard fans flying in to infrequent big shows. Once they are touring the country running shows every week that’s gonna go away. People aren’t flying in to buffalo for a tv taping. They’re gonna have to start out doing 4-5k venues and see how it goes from there. 

For this show it was a huge mistake running sears Centre again. For sure they should have run the United center. Who cares about a plaque, that was a mistake. 

Im surprised no one is mentioning baseball stadiums for these super shows. If they booked wrigley field or Fenway Park it would look amazing and they’d have a better shot selling out or having a full crowd, and it would be a super unique visual. One thing I hate about wwe is how they want every venue to look the same. They need to accentuate all the cool unique venues there are. 

Take it for what it's worth but Dave Meltzer said the ticket demand for All Out of people attempting to buy tickets was in the range of 137,600. He said he's not seen anything like that since Anderson Silva fighting in Rio de Janeiro in 2011.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Take it for what it's worth but Dave Meltzer said the ticket demand for All Out of people attempting to buy tickets was in the range of 137,600. He said he's not seen anything like that since Anderson Silva fighting in Rio de Janeiro in 2011.

Next year when they do All Out II, they should run it in Chicago, New York, Vegas, and California to do a simulcast. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Next year when they do All Out II, they should run it in Chicago, New York, Vegas, and California to do a simulcast. 

I'm reminded of the time UFC moved UFC 232 to Los Angeles due to Jon Jones drug testing shenanigans at the last minute, and Meltzer complained that they should've run the event in two cities because "Vince McMahon did it once before in the 1980s."

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, matt925 said:

Im surprised no one is mentioning baseball stadiums for these super shows. If they booked wrigley field or Fenway Park it would look amazing and they’d have a better shot selling out or having a full crowd, and it would be a super unique visual. One thing I hate about wwe is how they want every venue to look the same. They need to accentuate all the cool unique venues there are. 

Well the actually the WWE did run Chase Field this past year. Not the most exciting Royal Rumble, but they did it, and it looked cool.

Though Ive never been to a wrestling show at a baseball field. How are sightlines for a show like that? 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Isn't Baseball a Summer sport though? Because I can't see the stadium owners wanting to let them run a Wrestling show (with fans sitting on the field) during the season. And on the off-season, most of North America would be a bit cold for an outdoor show.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn't Baseball a Summer sport though? Because I can't see the stadium owners wanting to let them run a Wrestling show (with fans sitting on the field) during the season. And on the off-season, most of North America would be a bit cold for an outdoor show.

Baseball stadiums routinely have major concert acts(with fans on the field) during the season while the team that plays there is away on a road trip for a week or two.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Don't they throw a tarp down for concerts and stuff as to not tear the fuck out of the field.

For concerts, they'll barricade off the infield and put plastic "flooring" down where the seats/fans will be. I have seen the stage itself fuck up some grass before but that doesn't happen often.. 

This is a Wrigley concert in Chicago, for example:

dd0aa009cc287f96ae9e79bb1ba930f2.jpg

• Like 1

Meltzer is a little TOO in the bag for AEW, no?  I mean I love what AEW is doing and I want them to succeed but some of the shit Dave has been saying this week is way out in left field. Like,  looking at the picture of Wrigley,   Dave's opinions have looked like a Sammy Sosa home run in 1998. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Meltzer is a little TOO in the bag for AEW, no?  I mean I love what AEW is doing and I want them to succeed but some of the shit Dave has been saying this week is way out in left field. Like,  looking at the picture of Wrigley,   Dave's opinions have looked like a Sammy Sosa home run in 1998. 

How dare you question the AEW Minister of Propoganda? ?

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He says a lot of weird and awkward stuff even when he's not talking about AEW. Look at the Roman Reigns and Peyton Royce incidents.

As for AEW, I think it's just clear he doesn't like WWE and he's excited about a company started by his friends and based around the style and sensibility he likes is building buzz and momentum. Not so much in the bag as he's healthily biased in favor of AEW.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I find it hilarious when people get on Dave for his biases and closeness with some of the performers/management. Like, yeah, sure. But all media should be consumed with healthy skepticism and an awareness of the tastes and machinations of the people making it. Why do I get the sense that the people who are most concerned about Dave's JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY don't read anything other than wrestling news? Dave being too close to some of the people he covers is hardly the most problematic example of that sort of relationship. 

• Like 2