DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

15 minute sell-out, and enough folks in the queue to sell out a stadium. Every single step of their journey has been at least meeting if not exceeding expectations. From the initial announcements, press conferences, roster signings, TV deals, to the first PPV reception and buy rates, to the strong post-game media interviews, to now the second PPV in a row selling out in no time. This all has to look good for their business partners in Warner / ITV and hopefully result in a massive mutually beneficial push leading into TV. 

I remain as sceptical as anyone else regarding their ability to book compelling pro-wrestling for 2 hours week in week out, particularly their ability to hit the right tone between the BTE/freaks and geeks circus and the dramatic, old-school sports-centric upper card. Also, with a smaller pool of legit stars, injuries could really throw them off track even with the best laid plans. 

But it's tough to bet against them with the track record so far. 

Re Spears, he will complement the relatively green midcard with his experience both in-ring and behind the scenes for over a decade between developmental and WWE main roster. As long as he doesn't wear us down with the 10 thing or encroach on the main event I'm happy with the signing. 

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If we are thinking notable Shawn Spears matches. The match with Bobby Roode for the NXT title was a pretty great from what I remember for Spears/Dillinger.

I saw Dillinger/a just called up Corbin vs Nakmura/Balor at a NXT house show right after Nakamura faced Sami and as the Ten gimmick was still new (he was still a heel), and I thought he was the highlight of the match. I think he’s clearly better than what he showed on the main roster, but a) that’s a low bar and b) still not saying he’s going to be great.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The two hour thing is tricky.  NXT has shown that you can do an hour and be consistently great in this era. An additional hour is going to be a lot more difficult to pull off, 

35 minutes ago, Ace said:

NXT also neglects putting half their roster on TV.

NXT could honestly benefit from another hour, or at least an extra half-hour.

It’s weird seeing people complain about Page being positioned in the inaugural title match.

”AEW needs to make their own stars and not rely on WWE cast-offs... but I don’t mean *this* guy!”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

I get why they chose the Sears Center for All In, but after running it the first time and having so much success there, it would be weird to not run it back one more/last time.

Next time they run Chicago, they need to book the Allstate Arena.

I get that, but it isn't like they have so much history there that they have to pigeon-hole themselves by going back to a mid-sized arena out in the sticks. They've already clearly outgrown it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Page is a hell of blue chip talent. Solid work, great presence, young enough that building the company around him is a long term play.

Hell, allegedly Triple H was pitching building NXT around him if The Elite had come in.

• Like 1

I think the Big PPV type shows ar going to continue to do well, but its going to be tougher to keep up that momentum after TV starts. WWE live event and TV business is declining and I'm not saying AEWs Success is going to be based on WWEs decline in viewers and attendance but it certainly helps. I  think with a PPV Schedule like ECW had where it's not every month is great for AEW and gives them enough time to build towards them. Even though NXT is is a different brand its still WWE so if they added another hour it would be another excuse  for decline in the product they would use and I think fans would hold that against them too because if you made the case for NXT to get 2 hours then why not 205 live either ?. 2 hours a week is perfect for a major Promotion especially starting out. Thats one show, no syndicated show. TNA had Explosion before they started Impact on Spike. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

It’s weird seeing people complain about Page being positioned in the inaugural title match.

”AEW needs to make their own stars and not rely on WWE cast-offs... but I don’t mean *this* guy!”

It's more he needs to be built up over a year, not that they don't want him to be the guy.  Page is the most important guy AEW has long-term, if he doesn't pan out, they're in big trouble once Omega turns into a worst parts of Ibushi-Tanahashi hybrid in a few years.

TV will be fine for the first year because theoretically they would be going to places that have not yet had a chance to see AEW.   For example,   if they come to Hartford or Mohegan Sun or whatever I would expect them to sell out quickly the first time around. 

There is a shit ton of 7,000 to 3,500 seat arena's in the United States and a good handful of them are in towns the WWE doesn't tour routinely which means yes there isn't a big pro wrestling market but it also means that the wrestling fans in the surrounding area are starved for pro wrestling so they are gonna come out and they are gonna be loud.

The hardcore fans are coming regardless but they are gonna have to advertise smartly on a local level to get casual or lapsed fans to not only attend to become aware of the events but touring where they WWE doesn't could be beneficial in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

AEW in the Hammerstein Ballroom

Hammerstein is my favorite wrestling venue it looks so fucking cool an screams wrestling to me. That's where AEW should run the first TNT show.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhhh... If you’re a big company, and not a small regional company like ECW, or ROH, then if you’re going to run your first show in New York it better be at the Garden. That’s a statement right there.

and they'd sell out the MSG in about 15 minutes

I was going to bring up MSG...so great minds think alike. If I had to get tickets on the secondary market and pay extra like I did for the G1 Supershow, I'd have no problem with that.

There are quite a few wrestling hotbeds / tourist destinations where they could theoretically run TV 3-4 times a year and draw strong. Off the top of my head, Chicago, NYC/Philly/DC, North Carolina/JCP region, New Orleans/Mid South region, Vegas, and of course Toronto. Plus various spots in Florida, Cali and Texas. And then fill in the blank dates and build underserved markets.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I like to think I wasn't saying something like this. I've been enjoying a lot of '96-'97 Hogan/Piper lately. And Randy Savage? Timeless is timeless. What do we need new stars for?!

I wonder if these smarks eventually give Page shit for being management's hand-picked poster boy. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1