DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Maybe they should run All State next year, it holds 18,000 for wrestling. @Craig H beat me to it but I'm not deleting the sentence.

As for Solider Field i was more so just saying the demand is higher than the supply.

That seems to be the recurring theme to All Elite so far is the demand is higher than the supply. Not a knock just seems to be the case, it's a good problem to have actually, you're fanbase is larger than anticipated. They are going to at one point pull the trigger and run a bigger arena or even a stadium for one of their Marquee show to see if the audience is really there or not.

I do think ALL OUT Labor Day weekend in Chicago should become their version of Wrestlemania with the big blow off matches to long term feuds end at the event and you put your big money matches on the said show.

Putting the fifth most over guy in a stable into a world title match on a PPV undermines the top title, not where you place that match on a PPV. 

Once they realized they could not get Pac to job to Omega (or get him a Visa), the plan needed to change. Semifinal matches at the Jacksonville show, final at the PPV. Maybe Page can be built into a main event player, but he's not there yet, and to stick him into that spot right now is bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How fucking crazy is it that they sold out in about half the time that they did last year?  That's just insane.  I'm incredibly happy for them and it's great how far they've come in a year.  But while I find it nice that they went back to where it started they do need a bigger arena.

Is it bad a spot? Was it bad for Sting to go 45 minutes with Flair in 88 but not win? If Page stands toe to toe hold for hold and even looks like he's gonna put Jericho down in a 20-25 minute match only for Jericho to blindside him with his new elbow finish and get the win. That could be potentially a star making performance from Page.

As for match placement wouldn't it be in character for Jericho to bitch and moan about crowd placement and make the case that he should have been on last? Wouldn't in theory couldn't Moxley and Ambrose going on last be fuel for long term feuds between Jericho and both Omega and Moxley?

19 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Alternatively, "company riding year-long wave of buzz shaves a few minutes off of sell-out time" isn't that shocking. 

Oh, I wasn't saying it was shocking.  I was just pointing out how awesome it is.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:51 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Extremely well produced video this week, the highlight being Joey Janela’s old school promo complete with props to get a point across. Made me like Janela for the first time. Same with Darby Allin’s piece. Had no idea about him being a skateboarder who filmed himself to get noticed by MTV, and Tony Hawk. Most interesting thing about this video is the fact that there wasn’t much swearing. Which means these look like tests for how they’ll do promos on TNT.

There's so much stuff in this video that you have to strain to make sense of in kayfabe. Joey Janela talking about WWE promos being written by 24-year-olds from NYU; Cody calling Shawn Spears a "good hand"; even Darby Allin saying he was attracted to wrestling as a way of expressing himself and saying his goal is to be accepted by the audience, which makes perfect sense if he's talking about a kind of performance art and much less if he's talking about fighting.

I seem to out of step with most wrestling fans on this. The idea seems to be that since everyone knows wrestling is fake, the way to make it seem real is to acknowledge that it's fake while also hyping the matches as though they're real, within the same promo and sometimes within the same sentence. Or something. Jericho did it in his post-match promo at Double or Nothing: first he called the fans marks, then he said he only beat Omega by the skin of his teeth. To me that sort of thing interferes with suspension of disbelief, but I'm clearly swimming against the current here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

There's so much stuff in this video that you have to strain to make sense of in kayfabe. Joey Janela talking about WWE promos being written by 24-year-olds from NYU; Cody calling Shawn Spears a "good hand"; even Darby Allin saying he was attracted to wrestling as a way of expressing himself and saying his goal is to be accepted by the audience, which makes perfect sense if he's talking about a kind of performance art and much less if he's talking about fighting.

I don't think there's a stretch with any of these besides Janela. A really good utility infielder might be called a good hand, and both basketball and soccer players (and skateboarders, which Darby is) talk all the time about expressing themselves and entertaining fans while trying to win. Even fighters do the same. You see strikers dismiss wrestlers as boring in MMA, and all the major heavyweights now criticize the Klitchko jab and clench style.

Edited by Beech27

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Is it bad a spot? Was it bad for Sting to go 45 minutes with Flair in 88 but not win? If Page stands toe to toe hold for hold and even looks like he's gonna put Jericho down in a 20-25 minute match only for Jericho to blindside him with his new elbow finish and get the win. That could be potentially a star making performance from Page.

Imagining a 48 year old Chris Jericho making someone look as good as a 39 year old Ric Flair is a wild thought. I know you obviously don't mean for it to be a direct comparison, but I'm tickled by it nonetheless. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I'm just saying it could be a coming out party for Page with all these new eyes on him if he rises to the occasion and holds his own. Jericho has to hold his part of it too, he can't be looking like an old man out there. 

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I don't think there's a stretch with any of these besides Janela. A really good utility infielder might be called a good hand, and both basketball and soccer players (and skateboarders, which Darby is) talk all the time about expressing themselves and entertaining fans while trying to win. Even fighters do the same. You see strikers dismiss wrestlers as boring in MMA, and all the major heavyweights now criticize the Klitchko jab and clench style.

I admit, the Janela promo was the clearest example, and my reaction to the stuff afterward was probably colored by my reaction to that.

And it's true, you can find terms like "good hand" and references to athletes expressing themselves or wanting to be exciting in real sports. But in pro wrestling (as everyone here knows), "good hand" refers to a performer who has a talent for making others look good by losing to them in worked matches, and wrestlers almost always talk about self-expression and so on when speaking out of character.

So yes, I can accommodate everything said by or about Spears and Allin in that video within kayfabe, but I have to pause for a moment to remind myself how, because the most natural interpretations are non-kayfabe ones. That's the strain I was talking about.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the crowning of your (inaugural) champion must be treated as the main event...however if they are not going on last, how you present that news / spin it matters the most.

If Moxley /Omega is on last, I would kayfabe the title match as being held under no time limit rules, put it on earlier in the show to ensure the fans watching at home would see the champion decided.

It gives credibility to the belt, a proper reason for it not going on last and your top contenders are not seen as “lesser thans.”

Edited by The Great ML

4 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I seem to out of step with most wrestling fans on this. The idea seems to be that since everyone knows wrestling is fake, the way to make it seem real is to acknowledge that it's fake while also hyping the matches as though they're real, within the same promo and sometimes within the same sentence. Or something. Jericho did it in his post-match promo at Double or Nothing: first he called the fans marks, then he said he only beat Omega by the skin of his teeth. To me that sort of thing interferes with suspension of disbelief, but I'm clearly swimming against the current here.

I'm with you. I had to stop watching after Janela: Good delivery, decent idea, seasoned with some really poor choices. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Its widely known that Spears is close friends with Cody and that's probably the reason he's got a spot in AEW, so I'd like for them to play off that and have these to eventually at odds with Spears trying to prove he belongs in AEW on his own merit. I'd like to see how good he can be out of WWEs system. I know alot of people don't think he's anything special and I get it but He has been capable of having some impressive matches with the  right guys, even with Corbin in the equation 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

He has been capable of having some impressive matches with the  right guys, even with Corbin in the equation 

If you're speaking of the match I'm thinking of, it helps to have AJ there to quarterback the thing.

It'd be nice if he surprised people. I'm sure he knows some people aren't expecting a lot. 

CAEWs women's division being primarily a Joshi division is a great move. Around Survivor Series 95 WWF seemed be pushing towards that the same way WCW was building up the Cruiserweight division at the beginning of the Monday night Wars. WWF really missed out with that at that time. I think AEW will definitely feature them strongly. I don't know if Amazing Kong can go like she could 10 years ago. I always thought it was a shame she didn't get a chance on major promotions TV. I thought WWE should've given her another shot. She's a true attraction that needs to be seen. She's one of those type of talent that could catch the intrest of non fans flipping the channel and seeing her in the ring in a good way of course