DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Are they going to put Jericho/Page in main event over Omega/Mox?

Yes. And some people seem to be in favour of it because crowning an inaugural champion is a default main event or something.

I don't get it. It's clear what the biggest match on this show really is. If you're the type where match placement on a single show is going to make or break a belt in your mind, you have strange ideas. 

46 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yes. And some people seem to be in favour of it because crowning an inaugural champion is a default main event or something.

I don't get it. It's clear what the biggest match on this show really is. If you're the type where match placement on a single show is going to make or break a belt in your mind, you have strange ideas. 

You're a strange idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'd announce it and then work an injury angle that forces a tag for All Out. 

Isn't it a little early to be yanking your fans' chain like that? Especially after (regardless of the circumstances) backing out of Page-PAC? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Isn't it a little early to be yanking your fans' chain like that? Especially after (regardless of the circumstances) backing out of Page-PAC? 

There IS a Rhodes in charge...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Oh you still have Omega/Mox. But against each other in a tag. 

So they should renege on the big match they're pushing a day before their tickets on sale date because... it's old school to tease things out? I don't get it. Especially with a smarky crowd that would be quick to sound the bait and switch alarm. 

I understand teasing things out, but these are meant to be big shows. With no TV to build to them or tease things out on for months at a time, sometimes you just need to deliver the goods as far as marquee matches are concerned. They still have plenty left in the chamber. I wouldn't worry about them having used way too many big matches after 3-5ish shows. 

• Like 1

Yeah you can't go back on this now. This one is too big.  Now that the  cat's out of the bag - you can't just smash it over the head and make it wrestle in a tag match.

I mean you could - but no one is going to forget the time you had a cat in a bag and let it out only to smash it in the head.

• Like 2

I got this imagine in my head now of the lights going out at the Sears Centre and when they come back CM Punk Is in the middle of the ring dressed as Sabu doing the pose as Jericho is on the outside looking shook as fuck.

10 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I got this imagine in my head now of the lights going out at the Sears Centre and when they come back CM Punk Is in the middle of the ring dressed as Sabu doing the pose as Jericho is on the outside looking shook as fuck.

For the record I don't wanna see CM Punk in AEW. It's been 5 and a half years Punk has shown little to no interest in returning to wrestling aside from the run in under a mask. He looks like he's being positioned by Dana to transitioning to UFC B-Show commentator and honestly good for him, he seems to want to keep the MMA dream alive, he can't be any worse in the booth than he was in the actual octagon.

There's a few factors to why I can't see CM Punk in AEW working out in the long run anyways. First off as I said above he doesn't seem to want to return to wrestling. Punk hasn't been in wrestling since January of 14 wrestling has changed a lot since then, it doesn't seem as if Punk has kept up on wrestling for 5 and a half years. Punk already has an inflated sense of self. He will want to be a top guy, I know there would be a huge buzz and a huge amount of eyes on All Elite if Punk shows up but wouldn't punk after a half decade absence showing up in a top spot contradict his own comments about part timers taking spots on The Art of Wrestling? I can see Issues arising with Punk being asked to put guys over hypothetically speaking of course. Foing back to the comment about CM Punk and his ego, his UFC "run" if you can even call it that was so disastrous that I heel would have to bring it up, a guy like MJF and his gimmick it would be very out of character for him not to mention it in a promo against Punk. Same goes for Jericho and Moxley there's no way as heels they wouldn't mention it. I can see Punk working himself into a shoot if those instances occurred. 

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

Honestly, I would still put Omega/Moxley in the main event for an entirely different reason, and the CM Punk questions kind of ties into it.

If AEW is going to succeed long-term, they can't just throw really good indie matches out there, and will need some top-tier storylines. 

Likewise, if AEW is going to succeed, you can't just keep booking it around "oh, the Elite are just a bunch of close friends who are just trying to put on the best show for all the REAL wrestling fans out there". Eventually for AEW to get big, something has to give there, and since the TV show starts this fall, ideally All Out should be the final night of  The Elite as we know it and kickstart the big storylines that will build AEW longterm.

With those in mind, AEW could do a lot worse than an endgame:

Jericho/Page is lower in the card. Page wins the big one and is first AEW champion.

The Young Bucks have a tag match,  Cody has his match, and finally Omega/Moxley main events. Omega wins, and the Elite celebrate together as All Out ends and they celebrate another good show finished.

...and then Hangman Page clocks Omega, clocks Cody, saying "You put your matches before mine! This was supposed to be even! I'm the AEW World Champion and I'm supposed to be in the midcard for you guys?"- and suddenly you have a top heel for the company and kickstart a storyline to bring you to the TNT show...in short, making the "CM Punk is WWE Champion, but the Being John Cena Title main evented in 2012" thing up to his heel turn  eventually lead to Punk as a heel. 

16 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Yuka's theme sounds like a DDR stage that kills you when you play it.

My wife and I were talking about that the other day and she wholeheartedly agrees (she used to play it a lot)

I'd save Page/Jericho for the main event of the first TNT show. Yeah, you're giving away your first title match for free, but there will be plenty of chances to get people to pay for title matches later. There's only going to be one "very first episode ever," and Lex Luger ain't walking down the aisle this time.

First of all, the mindset of Jericho shouldn't be the first champ started because some people on here thought the match against Okada was bad when it wasn't. That match was good and Jericho was fine in it. There's no reason why you can't have Jericho win.

Secondly, the reasons given to place Omega vs Moxley last aren't good. People are either giving their bad fantasy booking ideas or only saying that the match should go on last because they're the ones with bigger names. That reasoning both undermines the top title in the company in what will probably be their biggest and most important PPV yet and it underestimates just how over Page and Jericho are.

Maybe you get more buys with Omega vs Moxley and they're the ones that get people in the door. Doesn't mean they need to go on last.

Page is the 5th most over member of The Elite currently in the company (because Scurll isn't there yet). It's like having Sixx fighting for the world title in the nWo days. No way would anyone advocate for Sixx being the main event back then, why are we asking for the equivalent of him to main event their second PPV?

• Thanks 1