DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

The interviewer mentioned he'd known Moxley for a while. So I'm guessing it was just Mox talking to his friend, who happened to have a writing gig at a Twin Peaks site. Why he published it there rather than trying to use to to get a second writing job at a wrestling site, I can't say.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 10:52 PM, just drew said:

AEW Let it Ride...

I’m also in favor of naming their shows after Ryan Adams songs, similar to when Chikara would name their shows after Talking Heads or Ben Folds Five songs or albums.

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I think Ryan Adams might be a little too problematic for AEW now.

Great then we will pivot into naming AEW pay per view after Bachman Turner Overdrive songs...

AEW Let It Ride

AEW Takin Care of Business (or "Bith-Ness" if you want to pay tribute to Dusty)

AEW You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet

And so on...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Great then we will pivot into naming AEW pay per view after Bachman Turner Overdrive songs...

AEW Let It Ride

AEW Takin Care of Business (or "Bith-Ness" if you want to pay tribute to Dusty)

AEW You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet

And so on...

That's "Bith-ness..... eef you weeel"

• Like 2

I mentioned this in the Impact thread but I will also mention it here

Reportedly Brian Cage was set to wrestle at Double or Nothing (presumably in the Battle Royal) and at the last minute, Impact found out and pulled him (citing his contract)

Tommy Dreamer doesn't have a contract with Impact for those wondering why he could work it.

I don't want to immediately say that it looks like Impact doesn't want their contract folks working AEW because with Cage being their champ I can see them not wanting him to work (especially coming off an injury)

In Impact storyline, he's injured right now, with no return date set (the update on Friday was that he's been cleared to start training again, but not to wrestle). So wrestling on TV for another promotion would kind of kill the intrigue of whether he's coming back or not. Plus it would have been his first match since winning the Impact World title, and losing in a battle royal that was partly a comedy match isn't the best way to protect your unstoppable monster babyface.

• Like 1

I just got around to watching Double or Nothing, and liked it. It reminded me of a better version of Good TNA. Definitely the closest thing there's been to a WCW since WCW folded. I really hope the company does well.

The Cody/Dustin match was better than I expected and had a rare southern feel that I don't think any North American wrestling has had in over a decade. Lucha Bros and Young Bucks did an overkill spotfest like only they can. The main event was pretty solid with good character work by Jericho even if his new finisher sucks. The Omega/Moxley brawl was fun.

Most importantly, this show brought a lot of different styles together and felt like a major league wrestling production, not a niche indy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Lucha Bros and Young Bucks did an overkill spotfest like only they can.

It wasn't that different to how Penta & Fenix wrestle LAX. But yeah, overkill spotfest pretty much covers it. It is by and large what Bucks fans want from a Bucks match. If they'd slowed down and based the match around limbwork and selling, whilst that might have impressed some of their detractors, it's not what the people who bought the tickets were there to see. Seemed like the live audience was super into it. But it's also why I can't wait to see what the Bucks do with Cody & Dustin Rhodes, neither of whom are spot rush stylists.

39 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Cody/Dustin match was better than I expected and had a rare southern feel that I don't think any North American wrestling has had in over a decade.

I was watching this match again on replay last night. The whole end-to-end (including pre and post match) has an electric atmosphere, but there’s a moment just after Dustin hits the Code Red, where he’s flat on his back and all he does is raise his arms up from the mat, and there’s a slow building eruption that just gets louder and louder. It’s like a self sustaining fire that is just feeding off itself and growing.

And just as it peaks, and the chant starts, it’s not Dustin or Dusty, it’s ‘AEW’. The goodwill and gratitude for the promotion to feature this emotional story when the WWE wasn’t interested, but all positive energy. I think that’s the spirit that they need to try and maintain. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AxB said:

But it's also why I can't wait to see what the Bucks do with Cody & Dustin Rhodes, neither of whom are spot rush stylists.

I was just thinking about this match, and how it’ll be worked. Also what will the outcome be? Now this is purely fantasy booking, but I truly believe Dustin will turn on Cody, and it’ll lead to Cody Vs. Dustin II. This time though, the rematch will be more of an angle to further the story with Cody this time wearing the crimson mask. Then it’ll lead to the big rubber match, with AEW’s first ever steel cage match. Featuring both brothers wearing the crimson mask.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 minutes ago, Ace said:

Cody as a babyface in a feud with Dustin just doesn't work for me. He's a natural heel.

But it would make more sense for Dustin to be the heel if this was a series of matches.

Dustin was the one who was shunned by his father, and Cody was the one that was showered with love throughout his life. Dustin still loves his father, but Cody represents everything he hated about Dusty. That moment they had after the big match at DoN represented Cody’s love for both his father, and brother. But to Dustin it was like stepping into a time machine to a special moment that turned sour when his father in his mind eventually stabbed him in the back.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs