DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I understand why they are doing it this way but it immediately devalues the belt (to a pretty small degree) in the eyes of the hardcore fans for that exact reason. If I were in their position of debuting a new promotion on a big cable network like they are, I'd probably go with the established name as my first champion too. But maybe avoid a pre-show battle royal winner being the second half of the belt deciding match and main event of your big upcoming show. Yeah, the Pac situation complicated things and maybe they want to wait to run Moxley/Jericho but at least that match would be the real main event of All Out unlike Page/Jericho. Page has a lot of potential but he needs to be built up slowly and should have to overcome serious hurdles on the way to getting the belt. 

When Paul E got control of ECW's booking, after Eddie Gilbert lost power, he knew he wanted Shane Douglas as his World Champion (and had vague ideas that Tazmaniac or Dreamer would be Future Ace). So he put the belt on Terry Funk, to build for Douglas to have a big title win over a guy who was NWA World Champ 20 years earlier.

Kenny is the Shane Douglas here, and Jericho is Funk. AEW having more of a long term plan than Heyman did is not that surprising. 

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Paul E got control of ECW's booking, after Eddie Gilbert lost power, he knew he wanted Shane Douglas as his World Champion (and had vague ideas that Tazmaniac or Dreamer would be Future Ace). So he put the belt on Terry Funk, to build for Douglas to have a big title win over a guy who was NWA World Champ 20 years earlier.

That's... not even close to what actually happened.  Heyman didn't take control over Eddie.  Heyman got the book after Eddie died.  Douglas beat Santana for the first belt, then the swaps between Sabu and Funk was all built around The Night the Line was crossed, then Douglas got the belt on his first huge reign in an Utimate Jeopardy match which was an 8 man tag with the Belt on the line.  And even then, it was still 5 months before the NWA Title Tournament and ECW going "World".  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

That's... not even close to what actually happened.  Heyman didn't take control over Eddie.  Heyman got the book after Eddie died.  Douglas beat Santana for the first belt, then the swaps between Sabu and Funk was all built around The Night the Line was crossed, then Douglas got the belt on his first huge reign in an Utimate Jeopardy match which was an 8 man tag with the Belt on the line.  And even then, it was still 5 months before the NWA Title Tournament and ECW going "World".  

this is more correct but still not 100% accurate.

Heyman DID take control. Eddie Gilbert left ECW in late '93. Until that point, he was (un?)officially the booker and was lobbying to get the full power. When it was given to Heyman instead, Eddie quit. He returned to Memphis/USWA before dying in early '95

Douglas got his first reign when champ Tito Santana didn't show up (i don't know the details behind this) but Douglas was just awarded the belt.

• Thanks 1

Running Jericho-Page second to last and putting Omega- Moxley last could add feud with Jericho the delusional star feeling like he is being taken for granted as he’s “the only reason” anyone is paying attention but Kenny Omega is still getting all the opportunities Jerichos name value should be affording them.

• Like 1

I personally can’t wait to see what they do on the next two shows to build to Jericho Vs. Page. You got a really great story about the veteran getting into the young confident wrestlers head. When Page loses to Jericho, he needs to sell it like he failed his family, his friends, and his fans. Then build him back up.

• Like 2

Jericho winning is so obviously the correct choice that I'm trying to talk myself into reasons for them to go the other way. But when the TNT show starts, you're going to want to feature him as the big star and show what a big deal Kenny is for taking the belt from him. Page has no rapport with new viewers and is the fifth man on the Elite depth chart, sixth once Scurll gets there, so he doesn't have the same reputation to trade on as some of his peers. I don't think they could put enough buzz on him in 2+ months to make him suddenly make sense as the inaugural title holder. I'm not keen on the story suggested about him feeling down for himself though, as he's so clearly penciled in as their top babyface project. So I'm just not feeling any of this.

PAC vs Omega would have been something else. 

I'm not even keen on imagining a Jericho-Page rematch down the line. In my head, Omega vs Page is the destination. Looking forward to the TV show just so I have more to go on. 

Hypothetically: What would the best case be for Page as the first champion? I don't see a great one. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

How long is the Fozzy West Coast tour starting in September? Is Jericho going to be available for TV every week at the start.

Best argument I can see for Page going over is if they trust Jericho being able to "make him' in one night and one match.

44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hypothetically: What would the best case be for Page as the first champion? I don't see a great one. 

Probably a program with MJF. But honestly Page, and MJF should be the program for Page when he loses to Jericho. That should be Page’s “Tully” feud to build him up into the company “Ace”, And also make MJF into a serious  threat.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

41 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Best argument I can see for Page going over is if they trust Jericho being able to "make him' in one night and one match.

If that’s the case, nobody ask Jericho what he thinks he can get out of Page. We all know what Chris sees when he looks in the mirror. 

I think it's a pretty easy long-term story to tell with Page, as NXT did it several times before they got their head up Gargano's ass. Babyface is unable to clear the last big hurdle on the way to the title a couple of times but learns, grows, adapts, and eventually overcomes. It's a story old as dirt and Page is the right guy to tell it with. He will need to sell the sorrow so the triumph is all the sweeter. He shouldn't go into a depression or anything but people, babyfaces in particular, need to sell defeats and learn from them.

I do hope the only secondary singles title they add is something along the lines of a TV title with a strict 15 minute time limit. MJF is made for that.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Goodear said:

Luchasaurus was signed according to AEW's twitter.  I hate his packaging.  I don't understand taking the 6'5" round kicking monster and giving them that name when it sounds like a opening comedy gimmick name and he doesn't wrestle like a luchador anyway.

I have the same confusion about this guy.

While I'm at it: I don't yet understand why Britt Baker incorporates her real-life job as a dentist into her wrestling character. It doesn't seem to amount to much beyond some imagery on her gear and entrance video. I could see it being a heel thing where she acts very superior because she's a DOCTOR, but I don't remember anything All In or Double or Nothing that suggested she would be going in that direction.

2 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

While I'm at it: I don't yet understand why Britt Baker incorporates her real-life job as a dentist into her wrestling character. It doesn't seem to amount to much beyond some imagery on her gear and entrance video. I could see it being a heel thing where she acts very superior because she's a DOCTOR, but I don't remember anything All In or Double or Nothing that suggested she would be going in that direction.

She paid well over $100k to earn the right to call herself a Dr. She can damn well use it anyway she pleases. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

You're right. It's dumb.