DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Kenny never hit the OWA and he didn't kick out of the Judas Effect.

Penta didn't hit the Fear Factor that I remember and no one kicked out of the Meltzer Driver.

I think the Best Friends only hit the spike pile-driver once.

SCU only hit the Best Meltzer Ever once.

The main was the only one that didn't have finisher death of the Top 3.  

Penta hit the Fear Factor/Gory Special combo, kicked out of.  Penta kicked out of the Fear Factor/Double Stomp finisher theft.  Matt kicked out of the Arm Breaker/Penta Driver combo, then went right to hitting the Meltzer Driver with one arm.  That's just off the top of my head without going back to watch the finishing stretch.

Cody kicked out of the Final Cut and a Cross Rhodes, and Dustin kicked out of a Cross Rhodes.  

Edited by Raziel

Jesus Christ. I blame life events this whole week and spending a shitload of time at the hospital for not remembering that Penta hit the Fear Factor.

I will say that what bugs me even more than kicking out of finishers is everyone needing 5 or 6 finishers (hyperbole, I know).

I hope those numbers are accurate and a good sign for AEW's momentum for TNT. I remember being excited about TNA and Spike TV but this feels different right now. For starters, smart and actual competent people who understand wrestling seem to be in charge for once. 

Even back when TNA was sort of good, I never trusted Jeff Jarrett as a main eventer and guy in control. I mean right off the bat, they booked their first Spike TV era main event as Kevin Nash vs. Jeff Jarrett, and of course Nash would always weasel out of doing the job. Dixie Carter seemed OK until she would constantly enable Jeff Jarrett and Vince Russo. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Re-watching Cody Vs. Dustin. I notice during the hype video they go to clips of Cody sparring in the ring. He’s wearing a Pen State hoodie. His sparring partner on the other hand is wearing a 2K19 shirt. Granted it just says 2K19, but no WWE, or NBA. Still that’s your competitions video game label. Cody’s gotta be more aware of stuff like that. Should’ve had him wear a AEW shirt.

Edit: The heat was off the charts in this match, and they barely did jackshit to start the match. I wonder how much the Triple H throne spot helped the heat. Still, Cody is over as fuck. It’s gonna be hard being the head booker, and not putting the belt on yourself if you are that over. This isn’t like delusional as hell Jeff Jarrett putting the belt on himself. Cody would be justified in doing it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

ANOTHER THOUGHT! (I'm full of these, I think...)

Luke Harper has to get over to AEW ASAP. After seeing how small most of the roster is, he's gotta know he'd be booked like Andre the Fucking Giant.

• Like 6

LAst I heard was that his contract is supposed to be up in NOVEMBER, but they're going to extended it for SIX MONTHS.

So not until next Wrestlemania, if true.

35 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

ANOTHER THOUGHT! (I'm full of these, I think...)

Luke Harper has to get over to AEW ASAP. After seeing how small most of the roster is, he's gotta know he'd be booked like Andre the Fucking Giant.

Also Killian Dain, who’s being sent down to NXT after getting barely a chance to do anything on the main roster.

The WWE roster is too stacked with huge ugly dudes, and they currently got all their attention on Lars. Those two would stand out from the pack on AEW’s roster.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I’m still surprised the Uso’s And the Hardy’s resigned with the E. All Elite seems to want to ignite a Tag Team Renaissance.

Uso’s are very good as a Tag Team. Been a bright spot in the WWE Tag division for the past 3 years. I’d have love to see them against the likes of The Young Bucks and Lucha Bros.

The Hardy’s I’m surprised that they opted for the third year as they don’t seem to be in it for the money and their careers are winding down. You think they’d like to go out and make money off the Broken Angle. Imagine the new heights the Broken Universe could reach with the creative freedom of AEW.

Anderson and Gallows and gonna be great additions to the Tag scene come September.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I’m still surprised the Uso’s And the Hardy’s resigned with the E. All Elite seems to want to ignite a Tag Team Renaissance.

Uso’s are very good as a Tag Team. Been a bright spot in the WWE Tag division for the past 3 years. I’d have love to see them against the likes of The Young Bucks and Lucha Bros.

The Hardy’s I’m surprised that they opted for the third year as they don’t seem to be in it for the money and their careers are winding down. You think they’d like to go out and make money off the Broken Angle. Imagine the new heights the Broken Universe could reach with the creative freedom of AEW.

The Usos have been treated generally well for the last 5-6 years. Why would they want to leave?

Hasn't Jeff mentioned wanting to retire in WWE Also with AEW wanting to be a bit more serious would they really want to do much with Broken Matt?

They have two people that are feuding over who gets to be "The Librarian" gimmick. 

"Serious." 

And "what happens in the ring actually matters" might be two different things, and they may need to differentiate that more.

@EivionThe Uso have been treated well but how many main show Mania's have they been on? The feud with The New Day great but after that was over what was the follow up angle? There's a creative ceiling in the WWE, you're only gonna do so much and get so far. My thought is maybe test the waters outside the machine and see what heights you can reach on the outside.

The Broken Hardys is silly but not the bad wwe stupid silly. Broken is played completely straight and works because it is batshit crazy and knows its batshit crazy. It would work in AEW, the audience would buy in completely.

• Like 1

@EivionThe Uso have been treated well but how many main show Mania's have they been on? The feud with The New Day great but after that was over what was the follow up angle? There's a creative ceiling in the WWE, you're only gonna do so much and get so far. My thought is maybe test the waters outside the machine and see what heights you can reach on the outside.

I agree, but if they are making good money and still getting presented as their top team so I can see why they wouldn't leave. Fans might want to see them go out and take on teams like the Young Bucks. They may not have any interest there at all, even moreso with so many of their friends and family being in WWE. 

The Broken Hardys is silly but not the bad wwe stupid silly. Broken is played completely straight and works because it is batshit crazy and knows its batshit crazy. It would work in AEW, the audience would buy in completely.

I didn't say the fans wouldn't eat it up. I just got the general feeling from the talks of what they wanted that maybe something like Broken universe would be tad too far. With your talk of the battle royal though it sounds like it would be fine. I assume Matt then is staying more for Jeff than anything else.

Edited by Eivion

I don't fault The Uso's for staying, I wouldn't of stayed but I'm not them.

Jeff is finally falling apart think the worse thing he did was resign jk. Matt Broken persona would make him a top guy in ALL Elite for sure. All Elite doesn't mind being fun and silly but when it's time to be dead serious they will be dead serious (see Cody vs Dustin). 

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

98k is a great number. So, this company may be profitable in it's first year? That would be amazing.

Keep in mind the 98k doesn't take into account people who ordered the next day so there number will probably be slightly over 100k.

I wonder how many people pirated it.

I would hope that they don't again use the Sears Center's shitty ticket buying service or virtual waiting room, but I imagine that's asking for too much.

In any event, I'm not making the same mistake twice. If it gives me tickets again, I'm not pitching them back to try for better seats. I'm taking whatever I can get.

• Like 1