DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Meltzer gave the Cody/Dustin match 5 stars, for people that care about those sorts of things.

He's just biased in favour of things he likes, though.

• Haha 1

Meltzer keeps saying Tuesday night basketball on TNT. They do have a few Tuesday nights, but their main night is obviously Thursday for basketball. I don't know where he get Tuesday for basketball when it's actually Thursday.

16 minutes ago, tlk23 said:

Meltzer keeps saying Tuesday night basketball on TNT. They do have a few Tuesday nights, but their main night is obviously Thursday for basketball. I don't know where he get Tuesday for basketball when it's actually Thursday.

I just looked at this past seasons schedule, tnt had nba games on 9 tuesdays, 8 of which are in a row. So that’s 8 consecutive weeks of moving the show around. 

17 minutes ago, tlk23 said:

From Jan 29 - through Game 4 of the Finals - 13 of those weeks, TNT has had at least one game on Tuesday

That is what he is talking about. That is 1/4 of your year having to be pre-empted

On 5/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, AxB said:

Getting irritated at a Wrestler for trying to work his fans is like getting irritated at a dog for being hairy and saying Woof.

Can I still get irritated at my dog for licking its taint then wanting to lick my face, NO NOT "EVERY DOG DOES IT" REESE'S!!!!

Edited by nate
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, nate said:

Can I still get irritated at my dog for licking its taint then wanting to lick my face, NO NOT "EVERY DOG DOES IT" REESE'S!!!!

This is why I have cats-- they drop all the pretenses and just put their butt holes right on your face. Real straight shooters.

Re: the weekly show on Wednesdays: I think having a permanent timeslot is more important than trying to hold on to SD's Tuesday audience. Not to make any comparisons here, but when TNA was on Spike they had about 40 different day/timeslot combinations and it couldn't have helped their situation. And this is taking into account that they tried both going head to head with Raw, and holding down Smackdowns audience when it moved back again. 

That being said, it's been years now since that was done and the landscape has changed a lot with streaming. The question is how much it matters to Turner that, if they get let's say only 200,000 viewers instead of 400,000 but you have another 150,000 watching it later on TNT.com or their app or whatever

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Oh and the buy rate for Double Or Nothing is 98K, with an almost 50/50 split between digital avenues and the more traditional ways of ordering a PPV.

For comparison, ALL IN did about 50K.

That's 4.9m in gross sales. That's awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tlk23 said:

Give me Saturdays @ 5:05 PM, damnit! 2 hours of pay winder action! 

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is why I have cats-- they drop all the pretenses and just put their butt holes right on your face. Real straight shooters.

with upper management written all over them

I just keep turning my cats around when they do that or at least tuck their tail under their ass.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

“Wednesday Night Whammy”?

While I like the mental image of AEW using the Press Your Luck Whammies, I'd go with AEW: Wednesday Night Wrestling. It's simple, has an old school vibe to it, and emphasizes it's a wrestling show.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I like the mental image of AEW using the Press Your Luck Whammies, I'd go with AEW: Wednesday Night Wrestling. It's simple, has an old school vibe to it, and emphasizes it's a wrestling show.

It might just be Wensday Night Dynamite, but they’ll need to file another trademark.

41 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Re: the weekly show on Wednesdays: I think having a permanent timeslot is more important than trying to hold on to SD's Tuesday audience. Not to make any comparisons here, but when TNA was on Spike they had about 40 different day/timeslot combinations and it couldn't have helped their situation. And this is taking into account that they tried both going head to head with Raw, and holding down Smackdowns audience when it moved back again. 

I totally agree. I didn’t even consider the playoffs, like Rippa said that’s 1/4 of the year messed up right there. Having a consistent 8-10pm Wednesday night slot would be much better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

So I'm guessing if they were to continue with the gambling theme that naming the television show "Fixed Odds" would be a very bad idea? ?

AEW: Beat the House

Double Down

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Didn't they call DDP the "Pit Boss" when he came out.

ANOTHER NOTE FROM DOUBLE OR NOTHING:

Something I liked about AEW was that they referenced a TIME LIMIT. I'm a big supporter of time limits particularly draws. It's just a great tool in the storytelling tool box. Adds drama, protects guys, or it can elevate guys like it did Dustin when he fought Ted DiBiase.

I don't give a fuck about having real sports metrics and records(wins and losses should mean something, but I don't need stats), but there are certain "real sports" elements that I feel have been lost in wrestling. The Winner's Purse, and Time Limit Draws. The concept of the winner's purse and an A side and a B side in contract negotiations, would really scratch my itch.

• Like 8

Where I think stats could matter is if someone is booked to win under 10 minutes, hell, maybe 5, or show that no one has kicked out of a finisher, then those are cool things to bring up on commentary or on a graphic for a big match.

If the top of the card is booked like King's Road AJPW, where it matters that Kawada has never kicked out of the Tiger Driver '91, having a commentator build that up before and during the match would help. And they were doing something along those lines talking about the Judas Effect elbow at DoN.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

If the top of the card is booked like King's Road AJPW, where it matters that Kawada has never kicked out of the Tiger Driver '91, having a commentator build that up before and during the match would help. And they were doing something along those lines talking about the Judas Effect elbow at DoN.

Given the amount of finishers kicked out of on card 1 (and indies in general), this stat will be obsolete real quick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Given the amount of finishers kicked out of on card 1 (and indies in general), this stat will be obsolete real quick.

Wasn't the crossroads the main finisher anyone kicked out of?

Kenny never hit the OWA and he didn't kick out of the Judas Effect.

Penta didn't hit the Fear Factor that I remember and no one kicked out of the Meltzer Driver.

I think the Best Friends only hit the spike pile-driver once.

SCU only hit the Best Meltzer Ever once.