DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

This is strictly a WWE post but while we're on the subject of cameramen... One of the things I've noticed lately in WWE is guys will jump the barrier and brawl into the crowd and there's a cameraman already waiting! Would it kill them to portray some kind of spontaneity and have a cameraman just follow the action rather than anticipate it? Same thing happens with security. There'll be security already backing the crowd off in certain parts of the crowd indicating that that's where the wrestler's path is gonna take them. This is especially obvious when they do the brawl up to the concourse and the fans are already ringed off.

In addition, when there's a promo going on in the ring, sometimes you'll catch a glimpse of a cameraman just standing on the ramp pointing his camera at the entrance waiting for the next guy to come out. A crane/jib would easily solve both off these problems.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, evanknight said:

I think they should add a spin to the tv title and have it go to the judges if it goes to the 10-15 minute time limit. Gives a legitimate reason to throw it all out in a sprint and go flashy. 

If the judges are scoring based on hits landed, near falls etc, this would give them also more of a reason to track the more granular data which fits with the ‘sports analytics’ angle. If it’s played like dance judges, then less so...

35 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

This is strictly a WWE post but while we're on the subject of cameramen... One of the things I've noticed lately in WWE is guys will jump the barrier and brawl into the crowd and there's a cameraman already waiting! Would it kill them to portray some kind of spontaneity and have a cameraman just follow the action rather than anticipate it? Same thing happens with security. There'll be security already backing the crowd off in certain parts of the crowd indicating that that's where the wrestler's path is gonna take them. This is especially obvious when they do the brawl up to the concourse and the fans are already ringed off.

In addition, when there's a promo going on in the ring, sometimes you'll catch a glimpse of a cameraman just standing on the ramp pointing his camera at the entrance waiting for the next guy to come out. A crane/jib would easily solve both off these problems.

When the Miz and Shane had their parking lot fight, they did a great job of having the camera guy follow Shane, and then shoot the fight from up high. It really stood out, compared to how they shoot most backstage scenes.

6 minutes ago, Dewar said:

When the Miz and Shane had their parking lot fight, they did a great job of having the camera guy follow Shane, and then shoot the fight from up high. It really stood out, compared to how they shoot most backstage scenes.

Somewhat. The shot from above was something different and refreshing, but before that Shane ran down the hallway and hid in an alcove space. The cameraman stood there out in the open filming him and then Miz runs by not knowing where Shane is. Yet another one of those moments where we're supposed to think the cameramen are invisible. That's fine if you stick to just that, but then later in the show they'll have Charly Caruso walking around with her backstage camera crew and talking into the camera.

I'm reminded of another overly planned moment from when Shane and Styles were brawling backstage and one of them was thrown through a car window... and there was a camera set up inside the car to film it. Just ruins any kind of spontaneity. If I recall, the women's brawl pre-Mania was handled much better in this regard.

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That's actually one thing that was vastly different about WCW and the WWF. WCW looked like they encouraged guys to acknowledge the camera. In the WWF the camera is treated as if it's not there by the wrestlers. You'd never see a WWF guy mugging the camera or cutting a promo into it while they were walking to the ring. 

Bunkhouse Buck messing with the camera guy was a highlight of his entrance.

• Like 2

Linking out to Reddit for a special reason...

My daughter is 9 now, but we've been fighting with her sensory processing disorder for years now. Since she was 2 probably. It's much better now, anyone not me or my wife would think she's normal, and while she isn't autistic or have severe challenges, it's still tough at times. Sounds, lights, and touches can feel more extreme to her than others, but having coping mechanisms and toys helps.

Seeing this bag for kids like my daughter when she was younger than she is now, or for other kids with even more challenges brings a tear to my eye. This is awesome 

• Like 21

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

We may be talking about two different things. WWF guys "play" to the camera. They may not look INTO the camera, but they are always made aware of where the camera was. If you're talking about talking to the camera like John Cena or the 

Again this is nitpicky shit, and I think the production was solid regardless. But sometimes it's the little details that make the difference.

I love it when wrestlers yell at the camera guy. Shawn Michaels yelling like a douche at camera men was one of the elements I liked about him.

Everyone's entrance is so choreographed in WWE, it's one thing to have your signature poses and movements but everyone is so meticulous in the way they gesture to the crowd that its sucks. They always show guys rehearsing their entrances on network documentaries they don't seem to have any creative freedom to just wing shit a times. That's the change Moxley Hope's AEW brings out of WWE.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

WWE is overproduced.  It shows and it puts me off. You even see it in NXT. I'm hoping AEW allows for that kind of freedom.

You guys talk about  WWEs camera work, supposedly one of the reasons they have to tun by everything before is for the camera guys and production people to catch things, but we know that doesn't make much difference because of the shaky camera shots and they miss alota shit anyway 

5 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I'm only interested if Frankenhooker is one of the judges like she was for Flair/Steamboat.

I brought that up at a con (to pop my friends) and she seemed freaked out that anyone remembered that.

Nitpick: She was a judge for Flair/Sting.

Thinking about Nitro era WCW production is interesting.

On one hand, they had a great aesthetic. On the other, they missed more shots and important moments in a year than WWE does in five. It was a constant problem for them.

If AEW can get a cool aesthetic and not miss shit all the time, I'll be real happy.

9 hours ago, jaedmc said:

We may be talking about two different things. WWF guys "play" to the camera. They may not look INTO the camera, but they are always made aware of where the camera was. If you're talking about talking to the camera like John Cena or the Rock does, then yeah, I'd like more of that. 

For another example, Bret Hart, who should know better, revealed the belt and held it up towards the entrance ramp. They had no one there to shoot the belt, so the reveal was kinda lame. They should have told him where to show the belt to optimize its screen time.

Again this is nitpicky shit, and I think the production was solid regardless. But sometimes it's the little details that make the difference.

I love it when wrestlers yell at the camera guy. Shawn Michaels yelling like a douche at camera men was one of the elements I liked about him.

That is an old WCW thing, and NJPW picked it up from WCW.   Remember Jericho mentioning years ago that WWE doesn't like it/prohibits it- he was reamed for doing it when he first went there.

Edited by alstein

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Linking out to Reddit for a special reason...

My daughter is 9 now, but we've been fighting with her sensory processing disorder for years now. Since she was 2 probably. It's much better now, anyone not me or my wife would think she's normal, and while she isn't autistic or have severe challenges, it's still tough at times. Sounds, lights, and touches can feel more extreme to her than others, but having coping mechanisms and toys helps.

Seeing this bag for kids like my daughter when she was younger than she is now, or for other kids with even more challenges brings a tear to my eye. This is awesome 

Beautiful. Well done, AEW and @Craig H xxx.

• Like 1

Oh and the buy rate for Double Or Nothing is 98K, with an almost 50/50 split between digital avenues and the more traditional ways of ordering a PPV.

For comparison, ALL IN did about 50K.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh and the buy rate for Double Or Nothing is 98K, with an almost 50/50 split between digital avenues and the more traditional ways of ordering a PPV.

My prediction I put on the DON thread was 70-80,000. 

A remarkable start for AEW in pretty much every category you can think of when it comes to their launch.

That is pretty damn impressive for a company with no TV yet, and a dying PPV market. Now to pump up the marketing for the potential double main event of Jericho Vs. Page, and Omega Vs. Moxley at All Out to see if they can garner even more buys. Maybe even get a famous celebrity to be a special enforcer. Wonder if they can snag Hobbs & Shaw co-star Jason Statham for it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Wow, that's fantastic. Very happy for all involved-- and for all of us who get to watch. I had zero guesses as to what it would actually do, but I have non-fan/lapsed fan friends who are asking me what AEW is all about, so I knew the word was out. But that's a way crazier number than I expected. 

I can be a big cynic at times-- that's something about myself I know I gotta work on, both on and off the board-- but fuck me, it's hard not to be stoked.

• Like 2

Meltzer wrote in the new WON that his educated guess is that the TV Show will be Wednesday

There is still no official decision on the television show date, but it’s still down to Tuesday or Wednesday. TNT has done a lot of analytics and based on the hints I’ve been given, related to them leaning toward the night of fewest preemptions and that they are very close to making an official decision and are leaning strongly in one direction, that sounds like Wednesday is the frontrunner. I’d expect announcements of TV deals for the U.K. (ITV 4 obviously the expected landing point) and Canada very shortly once TNT makes its date official. But the idea of two million fans who are creatures of habit who watch every Tuesday at 8 p.m. is something as well. While nobody has suggested it, you could also debut on Tuesdays and then move to Wednesdays permanently during basketball season, but my gut is that they want to have a time slot from day one that would be considered permanent, even if the nature of TV is that things change

• Like 1