DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

1 minute ago, alstein said:

I'd like to see the old Beat the Champ TV belt idea come back- you win the belt, you wrestle on the weekly TV every week defending it in 15 min time limit matches.

Win 7 of those (and you have to win, so heel draws on time limit are a desperation ploy and heels wouldn't just try to stall, a draw means you face him again next week) you get a guaranteed title shot the next week, or can challenge for tag belts with partner of their choice.

Also belts should change hands on DQs or countouts (I think NJPW allows change on countout but not DQ)

You are correct about that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I would definitely dig an old school TV title with arbitrary 10-15 minute time limits.

A situation where as a kid I fucking HATED William Regal skating by every damn week with a time limit draw but looking back it was fantastic. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking along those lines I did for two reasons:

1) It gives heels a reason to not just stall.  They'll stall if they think they're about to lose, but they'll want to win because

2) their goal should be to become the big champ, and the TV title is a guaranteed path to getting that shot.  This gives the secondary title a real purpose, and that can elevate folks.

• Like 2

Well if they are serious about the whole wins/losses things, I hope that means there's sort of a points system, maybe not necessarily a ranking system, that can determine title shot hierarchy. Maybe not even a points system, but a clear pathway to title shots. 

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

A TV title, once they get TV, would be fantastic for Adam Page and MJF to feud over. I would think Page loses to Jericho, so Jericho/Omega/Moxley go into Tv as the top guys. Page isn't there yet, and I'm not really into him, and I don't think him being champion will make him a big deal. 

I think Page is a main event guy right now. Wrestling Jericho for the title on (I hope) the TNT debut will get him over amongst the first time viewers/Jerichoholics.

MJF makes sense for the TV Title and I’d put Darby Allin, Janela, SCU, Guevara, etc in a mix of matches. 

Too me though Jericho/Omega/Page/Mox/Cody/Dustin are the AEW title contenders.

Dustin said that he got busted open when Brandi hit him with Cody's cane, because the handle is in the shape of a Wolf's head and it caught him bad. Did the cameras miss that? Because it seemed like water bottle - spear - blood everywhere.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Dustin said that he got busted open when Brandi hit him with Cody's cane, because the handle is in the shape of a Wolf's head and it caught him bad. Did the cameras miss that? Because it seemed like water bottle - spear - blood everywhere.

Sounds like he’s working. That was clearly a slice from a blade.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sounds like he’s working. That was clearly a slice from a blade.

It was right after the exposed turnbuckle, he was selling in the ring for 10 seconds or so with no blood and then he rolled outside and then 10 seconds later the blood was gushing. 

18 minutes ago, matt925 said:

It was right after the exposed turnbuckle, he was selling in the ring for 10 seconds or so with no blood and then he rolled outside and then 10 seconds later the blood was gushing. 

Dammit! You see what you’ve done. Now I’m questioning whether Dustin bladed, or not. 

He was down in the corner selling the buckle and Brandi popped him with the cane. Angle was wide hence some might have missed it. He did the deed by the ring apron whilst everyone was distracted by Brandi being hauled away by DDP.

Dustin’s seemless kayfabing of the blade in the middle of that great post show media scrum was beautiful. The Pro-wrestlers’ Pro-wrestler right there

• Like 5

8 hours ago, alstein said:

I'd like to see the old Beat the Champ TV belt idea come back- you win the belt, you wrestle on the weekly TV every week defending it in 15 min time limit matches.

Win 7 of those (and you have to win, so heel draws on time limit are a desperation ploy and heels wouldn't just try to stall, a draw means you face him again next week) you get a guaranteed title shot the next week, or can challenge for tag belts with partner of their choice.

You get into that match by random draw pf all the folks who don't have matches scheduled for the following week- do the draw on Wednesdays.   Could then use house shows on the weekend to hype it up a bit- like say tag matches with the TV champ+ friend vs challenger + friend.

Also belts should change hands on DQs or countouts (I think NJPW allows change on countout but not DQ)

With all the Gambling iconography, this seems like a natural to do a roulette or slot machine style selection which can happen on the big screen and pop the crowd rather than the US open Title deal where someone just appears on screen.  7 weeks is a nice long reign and you can further tie to the gimmick with Lucky 7 or something being worked in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matwarz said:

He was down in the corner selling the buckle and Brandi popped him with the cane. Angle was wide hence some might have missed it. He did the deed by the ring apron whilst everyone was distracted by Brandi being hauled away by DDP.

Dustin’s seemless kayfabing of the blade in the middle of that great post show media scrum was beautiful. The Pro-wrestlers’ Pro-wrestler right there

I think this opens the discussion about how whoever was running switcher at this show should never do wrestling again.

If I had a lit cigarette staple gunned to my forehead and the camera man missed it to just show Billy Gunn standing there, I'd be pretty pissed.

I also noticed some wrestlers will have to learn more about playing to the camera. I think Janela did that whole spot with his back to the hard cam. they were probably switching to cameras hoping to find one that would actually be on him.

Then there was that insane hurricanrana into a diamond cutter spot that the guys involved decided to do during an entrance.

It's not impossible shit to sort over over time though. 

They got Dean Malenko Billy Gunn and Jerry Lynn backstage and they were part of the generation where you spent most your career on camera as agents backstage, so I'm sure they'll be giving pointers.

47 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

They got Dean Malenko Billy Gunn and Jerry Lynn backstage and they were part of the generation where you spent most your career on camera as agents backstage, so I'm sure they'll be giving pointers.

That was brought up on TiJ with Moxley. They talked about being able to help others about playing to the camera since they have experience working on weekly wrestling shows. Jericho mentioned that was something Kenny Omega said he was terrified of doing, having no experience working weekly tv. With a group consisting of Cody; Dustin; Jericho; Moxley; Malenko; Billy Gunn; and Jerry Lynn, I wouldn't expect that to be a long-standing problem.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Exactly... Nobody should be losing their jobs after what is essentially an alpha(Although one that cost 50 bucks) for the big TV show. I’m sure they’ve heard the negative feedback to the camera switching since the show on Saturday.

Also quick constructive criticism to the camera switching. I notice on Nitro when they did the camera switches when a match wasn’t going on they would fade switch(Or whatever terminology they would call it) from shot to shot. I loved that look. I still see that today on New Japan’s shows, but it’s a lot art in American TV wrestling. AEW should bring that back.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Exactly... Nobody should be losing their jobs after what is essentially an alpha(Although one that cost 50 bucks) for the big TV show. I’m sure they’ve heard the negative feedback to the camera switching since the show on Saturday.

Also quick constructive criticism to the camera switching. I notice on Nitro when they did the camera switches when a match wasn’t going on they would fade switch(Or whatever terminology they would call it) from shot to shot. I loved that look. I still see that today on New Japan’s shows, but it’s a lot art in American TV wrestling. AEW should bring that back.

A LOT of what they did on Nitro made me want to get into TV. When I was in college, I had a class with a professor who had won an Emmy for directing like 48 hours straight on ESPN during 9/11, and I would bring up those kind of shots with him a lot even though he wasn't a wrestling guy. Like one we talked about often was the jib shot where they'd pan from the announce desk over to one of the giant steel Nitro logos-- ugh God put it in my veins. Hoping we get a lot of that on AEW TV.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Speaking of Moxley on Jericho is there a finite place to talk about Moxley on Jericho?

Cuz I think it's cool that Nick Mondo did his Twitter Video.

The general monthly thread or the podcast thread.

49 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

A LOT of what they did on Nitro made me want to get into TV. When I was in college, I had a class with a professor who had won an Emmy for directing like 48 hours straight on ESPN during 9/11, and I would bring up those kind of shots with him a lot even though he wasn't a wrestling guy. Like one we talked about often was the jib shot where they'd pan from the announce desk over to one of the giant steel Nitro logos-- ugh God put it in my veins. Hoping we get a lot of that on AEW TV.

giphy.gif

RichWildAnteater-size_restricted.gif

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I also noticed some wrestlers will have to learn more about playing to the camera. I think Janela did that whole spot with his back to the hard cam. they were probably switching to cameras hoping to find one that would actually be on him.

Then there was that insane hurricanrana into a diamond cutter spot that the guys involved decided to do during an entrance.

That's actually one thing that was vastly different about WCW and the WWF. WCW looked like they encouraged guys to acknowledge the camera. In the WWF the camera is treated as if it's not there by the wrestlers. You'd never see a WWF guy mugging the camera or cutting a promo into it while they were walking to the ring. 

40 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That's actually one thing that was vastly different about WCW and the WWF. WCW looked like they encouraged guys to acknowledge the camera. In the WWF the camera is treated as if it's not there by the wrestlers. You'd never see a WWF guy mugging the camera or cutting a promo into it while they were walking to the ring. 

We may be talking about two different things. WWF guys "play" to the camera. They may not look INTO the camera, but they are always made aware of where the camera was. If you're talking about talking to the camera like John Cena or the Rock does, then yeah, I'd like more of that. 

For another example, Bret Hart, who should know better, revealed the belt and held it up towards the entrance ramp. They had no one there to shoot the belt, so the reveal was kinda lame. They should have told him where to show the belt to optimize its screen time.

Again this is nitpicky shit, and I think the production was solid regardless. But sometimes it's the little details that make the difference.

I love it when wrestlers yell at the camera guy. Shawn Michaels yelling like a douche at camera men was one of the elements I liked about him.

• Like 1