DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The young punk who's putting on airs while simultaneously exposing his cheesy gimmick by seemingly owning only one Burberry scarf? I don't understand how anyone can like him. 

Which is what he's going for. More power to him. 

He might have a bunch of that same Burberry scarf. What happens if he were to choke an opponent with it and it rips? You gotta have at least one back-up scarf.

1 hour ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I don't think I've ever seen a non-WWE show that didn't have this problem. It's like WWE has some secret proprietary method for actually making entrance music come through clearly. Very weird.

1 hour ago, MapRef41N93W said:

EDIT: At last, my first ever double post. Never thought I'd see the day.

Congratulations! Rippa bought you a cake.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He might have a bunch of that same Burberry scarf. What happens if he were to choke an opponent with it and it rips? You gotta have at least one back-up scarf.

He's got at least four. He used to issue them to people who joined his stable in Beyond Pro Wrestling (Americanrana 2018 is on YouTube in full. He's got three guys there, and is trying to recruit a 4th). 

Does Burberry have the same cultural cache in the USA that it has over here? Because in England, it's the chav brand.

It's kind of only considered that way if you wear fake Burberry or wear that shit head to toe.  As a mall enthusiast, Burberry only has stores in the fanciest of malls here.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Thanks 1

Lucha Underground banned a guy for getting in the way of spots and stuff but he really smelled bad too, so we all assumed it was for that but they didn't want to tell him that was why.

He was also all of our first guess of who shit their pants at AEW but it wasn't him.

But they had an easy time banning people.  You had a list of names and had to check in with your ID and shit.

How can AEW enforce the transphobic guy being banned, not that I think he'll try going to shows anymore?

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Does Burberry have the same cultural cache in the USA that it has over here? Because in England, it's the chav brand.

11 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It's kind of only considered that way if you wear fake Burberry or wear that shit head to toe.  As a mall enthusiast, Burberry only has stores in the fanciest of malls here.

Now I want to see Grado covered head-to-toe in fake Burberry. 

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Now I want to see Grado covered head-to-toe in fake Burberry. 

They'd think he was trying to be the guy Tron from Mad Real World on the Chapelle Show.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

It used to be a high class brand, but it got Kristal'ed. Became too closely associated with Kerry Katona and Daniella Westbrook (how to explain to Americans... imagine if the Cash Me Ousside Howbowda girl stayed famous long enough to age into being DUI-era Lindsay Lohan; Exactly that).

Remember when Jodie Fleisch & Johnny Storm moved to Thailand and tried to start a Thai Wrestling promotion? After that failed and they were getting ready to come back to England, they went shopping. Found a bootleg Burberry Three Piece Suit. Jodie & Johnny laughed about how ridiculous it looked. Darren Burridge bought it, and wore it to the ring for his UK re-debut. The crowd all started chanting "Chav! Chav! Chav!" and he had no idea what they meant because he'd been overseas and his slang was out of date.

Here he is:

28bfrbq.jpg

He's Metallico in Lucha Britannia now.

• Like 2

Cody & Dustin versus The Young Bucks at Fight For The Fallen is official, along with the previously known matches of Omega/CIMA and Brandi/Allie. Jericho said he'll be there, too.

• Like 2

I'd like to see Moxley/Dustin before all is said and done. This is assuming Moxley will wrestle with a little more passion than he did in WWE.

And guys, MJF is clearly born to be a TV Champion, weaseling his way through title defenses every week. And the pop when he eventually gets Ultimate Warriored would be insane.

• Like 7

I'm mad at PAC, not because of the matches we lost (although The Elite versus PAC/Lucha Bros would have been awesome), but because they had to change their plans with the battle royale at Double Or Nothing. I'm assuming MJF would have won the thing, and he'd be #1 contender to whoever became the first champion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

imagine if the Cash Me Ousside Howbowda girl stayed famous long enough to age into being DUI-era Lindsay Lohan; Exactly that).

Hate to break it to ya, but not only is Bhad Bhabie still famous, but she's awesome.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Cody & Dustin versus The Young Bucks at Fight For The Fallen is official, along with the previously known matches of Omega/CIMA and Brandi/Allie. Jericho said he'll be there, too.

Yup...

...And they are finally using the Rhodes name for the team.

Damn I wish Daytona wasn’t a 3 hour drive.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

It used to be a high class brand, but it got Kristal'ed. Became too closely associated with Kerry Katona and Daniella Westbrook (how to explain to Americans... imagine if the Cash Me Ousside Howbowda girl stayed famous long enough to age into being DUI-era Lindsay Lohan; Exactly that).

Remember when Jodie Fleisch & Johnny Storm moved to Thailand and tried to start a Thai Wrestling promotion? After that failed and they were getting ready to come back to England, they went shopping. Found a bootleg Burberry Three Piece Suit. Jodie & Johnny laughed about how ridiculous it looked. Darren Burridge bought it, and wore it to the ring for his UK re-debut. The crowd all started chanting "Chav! Chav! Chav!" and he had no idea what they meant because he'd been overseas and his slang was out of date.

Here he is:

28bfrbq.jpg

He's Metallico in Lucha Britannia now.

I love DUI-era Lindsay Lohan. She' s only behind Rick James as my favorite celebrity cokehead.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

So I've had some thoughts about Double or Nothing.

The Battle Royal was fun in a circus kind of way. Billy Gunn is still fucking jacked, and even Shawn Spears looked like a big guy compared to the others. 

A TV title, once they get TV, would be fantastic for Adam Page and MJF to feud over. I would think Page loses to Jericho, so Jericho/Omega/Moxley go into Tv as the top guys. Page isn't there yet, and I'm not really into him, and I don't think him being champion will make him a big deal. 

I loved Dustin/Cody. I think Cody is great, and he's one of my favorite guys to watch. Dustin's blood was insane. Once it started Cody got nastier, but at some point they moved away from the brawling and I kind of wanted more. I wish we could have seen more from Cody changing his mind about Dustin during the match and wanting him to be his partner. 

Dustin is maybe the best wrestler in either company. 

Scorpio Sky is a guy they should get behind as a singles star at some point. I'd never really seen him wrestle before, but he does that style well and he has some real fire that felt tangible and exciting.

Kenny/Jericho was good. I want to LOVE Kenny Omega, but some of his freak athletic showcase leave me cold. But both Jericho matches I've really liked. I'm hoping he and Moxley gel.

They keep saying "real spots this" and "real sports that" and then the Super Smash Brothers  show up with Kingdom Hearts Heartless minions.

Best wrestler on the roster besides Dustin is Trent Baretta. 

Half way through the show my son, who was watching hoping to see Dean Ambrose(his favorite wrestler), said "Remember when WWE was good?" Yep.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Would the "kill the attitude era" people really be in for that silliness?

Gimmick matches are fine. But the hardcore belt is one of those zombie ideas that they can let rest. 

After seeing the idiots in the AEW facebook groups, they would eat it up with a spoon. 

• Haha 1

I think they should try some other "champion markers" besides belts. They have the Main belt. Let the TV Champ have a ring. The tag champs get medals. The Women's champ maybe gets a belt, but a starkly different one. Not lesser, but different. There's a championship where you win a trophy. Just different shit. 

And Moxley has to be one of the first champs. He's the second or third most recognizable face in that company right now, and I could see him showing up on TNT with the title, the NJPW US Title, and assorted other shit. Make him seem like a big-ass deal.

• Like 1

I'd like to see the old Beat the Champ TV belt idea come back- you win the belt, you wrestle on the weekly TV every week defending it in 15 min time limit matches.

Win 7 of those (and you have to win, so heel draws on time limit are a desperation ploy and heels wouldn't just try to stall, a draw means you face him again next week) you get a guaranteed title shot the next week, or can challenge for tag belts with partner of their choice.

You get into that match by random draw pf all the folks who don't have matches scheduled for the following week- do the draw on Wednesdays.   Could then use house shows on the weekend to hype it up a bit- like say tag matches with the TV champ+ friend vs challenger + friend.

Also belts should change hands on DQs or countouts (I think NJPW allows change on countout but not DQ)

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1