DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I'm still holding out hope for an AEW Worlds Heavyweight Champion- "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes. I feel like it's going to happen. He can have a Hogan/Brock like schedule and I would be totally fine for a quarterly run with that. Give him 2 PPV Main Events and call it good.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Jesus fucking Christ...

Edit: Rosie, secret WWF spy, converting a young Goldberg mark, MJF.

How can anyone not like him?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How can anyone not like him?

The young punk who's putting on airs while simultaneously exposing his cheesy gimmick by seemingly owning only one Burberry scarf? I don't understand how anyone can like him. 

Which is what he's going for. More power to him. 

Agreed on feeling the entrance themes were mostly lackluster and sounding liked canned production bed music, but as they are building to the debut of the TV show, it may not be a bad idea to start getting the entrance themes out there on YouTube, put up mini-Titantron videos or DoN highlight reels set to the themes so folks will be more aware of them by the time Weekly TV starts.

And if one of them turns out to be a gem, it could maybe go viral like "Glorious" did and got a huge pop/sing-along when it hit on Bobby Roode's first NXT match. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That brings to mind another issue with DoN. It was the same thing as All In where the music volume on TV sounded low and/or hollow.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-WWE show that didn't have this problem. It's like WWE has some secret proprietary method for actually making entrance music come through clearly. Very weird.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm still holding out hope for an AEW Worlds Heavyweight Champion- "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes. I feel like it's going to happen. He can have a Hogan/Brock like schedule and I would be totally fine for a quarterly run with that. Give him 2 PPV Main Events and call it good.

The general assumption is that Jericho's winning it, then dropping it to Kenny at some point. But if they go another way, Hangman winning and dropping it to Dustin is definitely different. Although the money with Page is in him chasing the title, in about two years. And the supershow main event for a year from now is Kenny vs Cody for the belt. If Jericho is the first champion and Dustin gets a title quest (beating Kenny for a shot?) that might be good.

Aah, fantasy booking, nevermind. I hope Dustin isn't a two and out. Especially now he has a hundred and one matches better than Triple H's best match.

• Like 1

So is there any idea what a secondary title for AEW might be? Lightweight or maybe a good old fashion Television title? If they did a television title, MJF would be the second coming of Tully Blanchard.

Also do they plan on having all their PPV's going forward to be $49.99? I wasn't too happy with Amazon (I downloaded the B/L app for the Amazon fire) adding $4.44 in taxes.

• Like 1

Tony Khan said no weight classes. I'm guessing just World, World Women's and Tags to start with. Maybe Hardcore later.

I don't have a problem with a $50 ppv if there's only 3-4 a year. 

The sound is something that I would be getting fixed. I recall ECW having a better sound system than what we heard at DoN when it came to entrance music. 

If AEW wants to splurge they could get work that Tommy Boy Records like type of deal that ECW had to allow for the use of pop songs. It would definitely help the product. 

• Like 2

Re: Secondary title

Since NXT has a North American Championship and WWE has the US Championship I don't see AEW using those names. A TV Championship would fit- and if they wanted a "Hardcore" type of fun belt there's always revisiting the ultra cool and classic name of an AEW Brass Knuckles Championship. If anything it would give Jimmy Havoc something to do.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Dustin Rhodes would be be obvious one, but we don't know what his schedule is going to be. One more match and retire, Undertaker schedule for a few years, or fulltime weekly. Probably not the last one. He would make some guys look tiny though. Janela looked small next to Moxley, and Dustin's got a few inches on Mox.

Most indy guys are considerably smaller than the WWF guys. Billy Gunn is "normal" by WWE standards but is a giant in AEW. 

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I assume there is some belt Dusty created that Cody will claim ownership of for them to use.

western States Heritage Title?

After seeing what they got with the AEW World Title, I would love to see what Millican could do with a new Western States belt.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Would the "kill the attitude era" people really be in for that silliness?

Gimmick matches are fine. But the hardcore belt is one of those zombie ideas that they can let rest. 

Attitude Era hardcore matches and hardcore matches with people like Jimmy Havoc are two entirely different things.

The fact that on numerous occasions they have talked about how important the tag team division is to the promotion (and not to mention the Bucks helping start it) - they are clearly doing tag titles fairly quickly