DVDVR Message Board

"I HAVE A YEAR?!?" - Raw - 5/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I thought this show was rancid, pretty much from top to bottom. The whole Brock boombox thing is, to me, just another example of someone doing something funny or 'meme-worthy', and WWE latching onto it and instantly making it less cool. Shane McMahon working a 2 minute squash and still looking like he was about to die is pretty bad. Trying to make this Roman/Shane feud into some epic through-the-ages rivalry is lame. And what took Roman so long to get out there? And where were the Usos? The electric chair segment smacked of desperation, and I imagine it was another network idea. Ratings suck? Let's get shooty. How about just write characters that are interesting or believable or likeable in any way. 24/7 is worthless. Why did Truth even show up to Raw?

I watch the hulu version, and it annoys me that they choose to show a long Triple H/Randy Orton hype video, and endless replays, but not Cesaro/Ricochet, which sounds pretty rad.

On the plus side, Firefly Funhouse was really good this week.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

PWInsider and Bryan Alvarez said it wasn't scripted, but Meltzer said it was.

God this part of the radio show was infuriating

Basically Alvarez and Meltzer yelling at each other that they had a source

And then Meltzer ranted that if it wasn't scripted, Sami would be put on the shelf until his contract ran out (since they don't fire anyone anymore)

9 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Why did Truth even show up to Raw?

According to Meltzer, the 24/7 title is a USA/NBC idea to prop up ratings in the third hour.  Apparently, the plan is to fill a good chunk of hour 3 with comedy skits featuring R-Truth and the B-Team.  I certainly smell ratings gold.

Supposedly, Vince was cool to the idea but felt he had to use of the Network's ideas.  So expect him to lose interest in the 24/7 title in a week or two.

2 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

According to Meltzer, the 24/7 title is a USA/NBC idea to prop up ratings in the third hour.  Apparently, the plan is to fill a good chunk of hour 3 with comedy skits featuring R-Truth and the B-Team.  I certainly smell ratings gold.

Supposedly, Vince was cool to the idea but felt he had to use of the Network's ideas.  So expect him to lose interest in the 24/7 title in a week or two.

So Fox wants their WWE to be more "sports" like while NBC wants their NBC to be more goofy bullshit.  Yeah that is going to be a problem if this whole wild card thing is still a thing.   Although to be fair the two best (and maybe only) things in the WWE right now is R-Truth and Boombox Brock  ?‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Vince having Sami go be his avatar every week and then name dropping AEW as if you "don't care" and then removing said name drop from the official YouTube channel is fucking laaaaammmee. Pop shit and apologize. 

The current gimmick is actually Sami's idea. I wouldn't be shocked if Vince doesn't even quite realize Sami is probably representing some version of him, real or imagined.

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The current gimmick is actually Sami's idea.

I don't buy that they are giving Sami of all guys free reign on the microphone when 99% of everything else is scripted.  Also,  RAW runs on a delay.  Producer can easily mute "AEW" before it airs and they didn't.  But then on the YT channel it's removed. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

People on the inside have said it's Vince's words.  If there are sources that dispute that okay..  I have not seem them.   99% of the show is scripted down to the letter and pronunciation but Sami is given free reign...  lol

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

2 hours ago, Casey said:

PWInsider and Bryan Alvarez said it wasn't scripted, but Meltzer said it was.

Maybe the sources are doing this on purpose. They get together, Alvarez' guy agrees to tell him one thing, Meltzer's guy will then tell him something else. They can even have two different higher-ups agree to say different things for plausible deniability.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Maybe the sources are doing this on purpose. They get together, Alvarez' guy agrees to tell him one thing, Meltzer's guy will then tell him something else. They can even have two different higher-ups agree to say different things for plausible deniability.

Or maybe they are looking for the rat by giving out false info.

BTW - in the wrestling reporters clearly taking sides like this is the Civil War - Pro Wrestling Sheet is on the "Sami was scripted to say AEW" side

3 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I watch the hulu version, and it annoys me that they choose to show a long Triple H/Randy Orton hype video, and endless replays, but not Cesaro/Ricochet, which sounds pretty rad.

That has been an issue for a really long time. Not that the show has been all that wrestling heavy in a while, but the 90 minute edit is sometimes 75% promos or video packages. There have been weeks where I read about a solid match in the opening hour and have to wait the month for it to show up on the Network or hope they upload it to YouTube. Really frustrating some weeks especially with a deal like this, where it's two guys that are so much fun to watch.

The thing that really annoyed me last night was the stupid thing they do now with having people enter the ring and then they show a video. Last night they had Shane and Drew go out and then the spent five minutes on a Triple H/Randy video only for them to go to commercial after it was over. By my count, Shane and Drew were in the ring for like six minutes just doing nothing. What is the point of that?

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Amused at the Concern Rubes losing their minds over SAMI GETTING FIRED BY WWE!!! since he name-checked AEW, like a bunch of grade schoolers yelling "OOOOOOOOOOH!" at the kid who just screwed something up. AEW is officially the elephant in the room... they can pretend it isn't there, or they can pull a George Lazenby, acknowledge it and move on.

Yeah, but that's one of the ten worst moments in any Bond film, and should've been cut out.

17 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

The thing that really annoyed me last night was the stupid thing they do now with having people enter the ring and then they show a video. Last night they had Shane and Drew go out and then the spent five minutes on a Triple H/Randy video only for them to go to commercial after it was over. By my count, Shane and Drew were in the ring for like six minutes just doing nothing. What is the point of that?

They've been doing it for a couple of months now. I assume it's to keep viewers hooked with "look who's in the ring when we get back from commercial" rather than running the risk of losing viewers by going to commercial without showing them what's coming up next. I dislike it personally, and feel a little bad for the schmucks who have to entertain the crowd for 5 minutes while they wait to come back.

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, but that's one of the ten worst moments in any Bond film, and should've been cut out.

Worse than Kojak as Blofeld? ? 

I actually loved that- it was a cute wink to Connery leaving, and it's completely forgotten by the end of the film because it's fantastic.