DVDVR Message Board

WWE 24/7 Title

RIPPA

Okay - lets see which lasts longer. This thread or Vince's interest in the title

Anyway - here is the blurb from the new WON explaining things

The last thing WWE needed was another championship, but largely due to the USA Network, one was created. Mick Foley on Raw on 5/20 announced the new 24/7 championship, a takeoff on the old Hardcore title that was a comedy belt that was around from 1998 to 2002. The idea was copied by the DDT promotion in Japan who took it an even farther step, with blow up dolls and inanimate objects at times holding the championship. The idea is that the champion must be ready 24/7 and can be beaten at any time as long as there is a referee to make the count or call for the submission. They will be filming people trying to win the title away from the arenas, as they did with the old title. The belt was immediately made a joke. The fans booed Foley’s announcement of the title. Then, he announced the first champion would be determined by whoever could grab the belt when it was put in the ring. Only guys who were rarely used on Raw, and never pushed, attempted to win it, immediately making it a jobber belt. By the end of the first night, it went from first champion O’Neil, to Roode to R-Truth. Foley noted that everyone on Raw, Smackdown, 205 Live, NXT and NXT U.K. are eligible, as well as legends from the past. The back story is that the USA Network has been complaining for some time about the declining ratings, in particular the third hour. They have continually pushed Vince McMahon to try and fix the third hour, since historically, the 10-11 p.m. hour was always the highest rated on Raw until recent years. And even in the early period of a three-hour Raws, it was the highest rated. But years of three hour shows have burned out the audience. In recent weeks, the ratings for Raw’s third hour got bad enough that WWE recognized they had to do something. The big move was basically to allow the top stars from Smackdown to appear on Raw, and to make sure Smackdown doesn’t become a secondary show while it’s getting ready to move to FOX, to do the same. USA Network of late was sending in all kinds of ideas to WWE to bring up the third hour ratings. One person with knowledge of the story said the ideas were all terrible, but the 24/7 idea was the best one and McMahon knew he had to take one of them. While the idea is 24/7, Foley in announcing it said that it would be there for the third hour of Raw, which made no sense if it can be defended at any time. But that’s the reason he said it. I guess it’ll be mostly part of the third hour even though the idea is can be defended at any time

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd like to know some of the ideas that were so terrible that Vince passed on. 

"Hey, there's this guy Todd Chrisley who we think is just the best!   What if he became Universal Champion?"

• Haha 2

It’s been over 150+ hours, and nothing has fucking happened. This has already been a failure. The only thing I can think they might be planning is for Truth, and Drake to make a cameo during Double Or Nothing.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Why do I get the feeling that a lot is going to start happening with the belt around the time of Double or Nothing starting?

I really don't mind the belt, it's got potential - I like the color scheme and the outside part of the main plate is actually really nice.  It reads Egyptian to me so they might as well go all out and add an eye of Anubis type design to the side plates - a sort of "someone is always watching you ready to take your title" kind of thing. 

51 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So the belt is supposed to be evocative of a clock or watch, right?  The round face, the letters in CHAMPION arranged like numbers on a clock, the slash in 24/7 looking like clock hands.

The blank space on the side plates represents the blank notebooks at creative meetings. Yeah,  I thought they'd use social media effectively by now to create some buzz but so far it's just Truth and Drake and a couple others putting out their own videos and nothing 'officially' has happened at all.  

Bless R-Truth with the way he’s working this waiting for the okay from the office to do anything with this thing. 

I wonder if the undercard guys got a huge list of things right now on what not to do with the belt on non-TV days. “No title changes unless the office approves of them” etc... I was half expecting this to be worked with carte blanche in mind at times as long as they stay PG, and in the comedy spirit.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs