DVDVR Message Board

The 2019 NBA Finals: Golden State vs. Toronto

Dolfan in NYC

On 6/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I saw someone comparing this to '04 with the Pistons as a big underdog just wearing out a California dynasty, right down to "only avoided a sweep by some late game heroics in game 2"

I dunno, this team feels more like the 2011 Mavs to me. One transcendent talent surrounded by guys who are a little past their primes but know how to play defense and hit their spots, plus the occasional young guy stepping into a role.  I wouldn't say either Billups or Wallace were as good as Dirk/Kawhi are or were. 

Went back and looked at the 04 ECF. The highest point total for either team was 85 points. Jesus that's fugly.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

It's my first time living in (the greater area of) a city that's come this close to winning a major title.  I wasn't here for the Jays World Series wins.  Could be a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I want to be out there with the people, but getting a seat at literally any place with a tv is going to be difficult.  Found a sports bar downtown that just opened 2 weeks ago, so hopefully not that many people know it exists...

43 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

It's my first time living in (the greater area of) a city that's come this close to winning a major title.  I wasn't here for the Jays World Series wins.  Could be a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I want to be out there with the people, but getting a seat at literally any place with a tv is going to be difficult.  Found a sports bar downtown that just opened 2 weeks ago, so hopefully not that many people know it exists...

A nightclub I work at, EFS, is showing the game on screens. Doors open at 830pm. And the Raptors came there to party after they eliminated the Bucks, so there is a definitely a possibility that we will be hosting a massive aftetparty as well.

• Like 1

ESPN says Kevin Durant is playing. Drama at a 10. 

I cant believe I didn't bet Toronto before the series after all my posts and bolster about them.

It better be loud as hell in Air Canada (superior name).

Edited by _MJ_

Unfortunately it is now the Scotiabank Arena  (although everyone still calls it the ACC).

And I'm pretty sure KD dropped 51 on the Raptors this year and still lost. If anything, KD playing will kill the whole "poor Warriors and their injuries" narrative.

Just now, elizium said:

Poor unloved Argonauts.

I was at BMO Field when TFC won the MLS Cup. And that was awesome. But the World Series / Stanley Cup / NBA title is on another echelon in terms of sports championships.

So, if that's it for KD in the series, it's not gonna help with this any

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I'm glad Durant is back for this game, so there might be slightly less whinging about how Toronto didn't take GS' best shot when they close out the series.

Edited by Brian Fowler

They may not have beat Golden State at its best, but their second best is still better than pretty much every team in the NBA.... except the Toronto Raptors.

Just now, jaedmc said:

They may not have beat Golden State at its best, but their second best is still better than pretty much every team in the NBA.... except the Toronto Raptors.

Even beyond that, though.

Sure, a healthy KD might've changed this series completely. But a healthy Kyrie and Love might've changed 2015. A healthy Leonard might've changed the 2017 WCF. A healthy Chris Paul might've changed the WCF last year.

The Warriors benefited from a lot of injury luck, while also having the objectively most talented team, during their three championship runs, so whining about getting the bad breaks this year is silly.

People do realize Kawhi is playing hurt in this series too right?  His leg has been fucked since early on and he can't get any lift off it.   Also,  the Warriors minus KD won the one title before he got there playing against a Cavs team without Kyrie and Kevin Love.   They also played a Spurs team where they were down by 20 in game 1 and then Kawhi got injured. 

Point is they've had their fair share of injury luck.  

All that said if the Raptors don't stop this 3-point onslaught this series will continue...