DVDVR Message Board

The 2019 NBA Finals: Golden State vs. Toronto

Dolfan in NYC

Starting this now, because the first bit of news came out today. 

The Warriors announced today that Kevin Durant will not start the series due to the severity of his calf strain.   

And like I said, I'd be shocked if he plays a minute before they lose a game. 

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Underrated issue: KD being out might free up the offense, but he's also an incredible defensive player they might really need to try and stop Leonard.

It also frees up Leonard to defend Curry or Thompson. I don’t expect Toronto to win, but minus Durant it becomes a way we’re you can see it happening.

First NBA Finals game in Canada, I believe.  Happy for Toronto fans and even our own Lawful Metal for getting a win this postseason with Giannis' exit.  There's your gift.   Hot takes on Giannis have begun.

Hope the Raptors grab both of these Durantless games in Toronto.  Their best shot.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1

Prior to 2019, only three players in NBA playoff history—Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller, and Rolando Blackman—had averaged at least 30 points on at least 51 percent shooting from the field, 38 percent from 3, and 85 percent from the free throw line. Jordan played only three games; Miller and Blackman played four; Kawhi has played 18.

• Like 2

The last several years have been a pretty awesome era for SFs - when your top 4 are LeBron, KD, Kawhi, and Paul George, maybe it's not unreasonable to call it the best ever - and this is the last Finals matchup permutation of the three best of them.  Leonard and the Spurs taking the Heat to the woodshed was easily my favorite Finals for two teams I don't root for, and I wonder if this will be as good.

I'm also reminded of the Warriors/Spurs series from a couple of years ago, where GS had their heads up their asses until Leonard's injury happened.  I don't know if this Toronto team is better than that Spurs team, but I'm also not sure they're *worse*.  Nurse is no Pop, but then again, who is?  Of course, none of that matters if they don't knock down shots, so Lowry/Van Vleet/Green et al have to make them when they're open.

And who was it that came up clutch in that one 2016 game against GS?  Dahntay Jones or some such?  That's no less ridiculous than Linsanity was.  These guys aren't invincible.  This won't be a sweep.

• Like 1

Fivethirtyeight.com gives the Raptors a 55% chance of beating the Warriors.

Of course, their model is flawed and virtually no one really believes the Raptors are the favorites. But the line of thinking goes something like Raptors home court advantage + Raptors slightly better regular season record + Golden State's best player injured = Raptors win.

Models can't really take into account the idea that the regular season doesn't matter so much.  (Or, well, they can, but if you throw out the whole regular season then you might as well not even have a model.)

Edited by S.K.o.S.

Round after round, I keep saying "Hey maybe I should buy a ticket to be there live" and then actually look at the prices and change my mind.

If they ever have a chance to win the series in Toronto, maybe I'll do it!  Sure it's ten thousand dollars a seat, but I might never have this chance again!

No Durant the first two games. Home field advantage for an East Conference Finals team for the first time against the Warriors. JR Smith isn't on their team.

The Dinosaurs can't really ask for better circumstances against the Warriors other than having a healthy OG Anunoby on their team.

Edited by _MJ_