DVDVR Message Board

Stomping Grounds - Tacoma, WA - 6/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Booking Corbin for a title match at a C-level PPV is a solid idea to see if he has any main-event staying power. The problem is that he's been in and around the main event for a while, so it's not a test.

A show like Stomping Grounds is a good way to get newer talent in the mix with the top shelf guys/ladies in a low-pressure environment. But several of the matches have been done with the newcomers already losing. So if by chance they win on Sunday, it's an obvious fluke and doesn't help in taking them seriously.

It also doesn't help in trying to present this as a major production. We know better. Treat it more like a super house show with lower ticket prices from the start, discount family packages and the sort. Maybe throw in a left-field match that's all about the zaniness, or do an OTT backstage stunt. Keep it at three hours and it's a fun evening for families who may be otherwise priced out. Have some fun with it and see where it goes.

• Like 3

Honestly - this is pretty much whatever brand specific PPV was like for that like 2 year period they were doing them.

Like if this were only a SDL show - the card would be (and we have to put aside the Wild Card nature of the matches)

• Kofi vs. Dolph - Cage
  • Bayley vs. Alexa
  • Bryan/Rowan vs. Heavy Machinery
  • Roman vs. Drew
  • New Day vs. KO/Sami

Then you would add

• IIconics vs. Kabuki Warriors
  • Finn Balor vs. Andrade (or anyone really) - IC Title
  • Ember Moon vs. Sonya Deville

That is far more interesting to me than this mismash show that is happening

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was on TV recently and I hadn't seen it since the theater. It was a blast! Why I didn't love it as a kid was baffling to me.

When appropriate I still use phrases like "Murder death kill" and even reference shit like the three seashells and fancy Taco Bell.  I love that movie so much.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When appropriate I still use phrases like "Murder death kill" and even reference shit like the three seashells and fancy Taco Bell.  I love that movie so much.

I still think their no touch high five is a good idea.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Cappuccino with one sugar and chocolate powder covering or cafe mocha.

Hmmmm...when at work I drink it black but that's because no amount of creamer or sweetener will make it taste better.  But for Starbucks I tend to go the espresso route unless I want tons of sugar and go with some wacky mocha/latte special they have going on.  At my mom's house I'll take a little bit of milk or creamer.

Basically how I take it doesn't matter.  As long as it wakes my tired ass up I'm good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Does Nick Gage appear out of nowhere when you say "Murder Death Kill"?

and how do I take my coffee in the morning? I don't, it's orange juice for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and how do I take my coffee in the morning? I don't, it's orange juice for me.

Orange juice for me as well. I tend not to drink hot drinks but when I do it's coffee or hot chocolate. I really don't like tea so I might be dubbed a fake Brit ; ).

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thankfully no but if needed I'm sure I can find an underground sewer that has a group of rebels waiting for me.

Damn, I need to watch Demolition Man again.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Orange juice for me as well. I tend not to drink hot drinks but when I do it's coffee or hot chocolate. I really don't like tea so I might be dubbed a fake Brit ; ).

I like hot chocolate. A shooter size bottle of peppermint schnapps poured in doesn't hurt either, especially in the winter and at work when you want to sneak a drink.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 12:00 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This discussion about geographic locations is far more interesting than the card for Stomping Grounds looks to be. Is there anyone here that can add some info on the Dallas-Fort Worth or Tampa Bay-St. Petersburg areas? Minneapolis-St. Paul, perhaps?

That's why I posted Alexa Bliss' coffee survey here to go with the Demolition Man chat.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

To further derail the chat, I showed DM to a friend who'd never seen it before.  He said, I am amazed, all this time, I thought Velveteen Dream was a Prince gimmick, but it's actually Simon Phoenix.  

That's incredibly accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Cappuccino with one sugar/chocolate powder covering or cafe mocha.

I generally go for lattes from basically everywhere. At home I tend to go with something dark and decent bit of creamer.

EDIT: I can't choose between Blade or Simon Phoenix for my favorite Wesley Snipes role. He is just so damn awesome in both.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I generally go for lattes from basically everywhere. At home I tend to go with something dark and decent bit of creamer.

EDIT: I can't choose between Blade or Simon Phoenix for my favorite Wesley Snipes role. He is just so damn awesome in both.

That is a tough call. Think I'd marginally go for Blade. In my head canon there's no such thing as Blade: Trinity.

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, this is the only correct answer:

Haven't seen that clip before. I've never had a black coffee.

Edited by The Natural
Moron here forgot the video is taken from Airplane! D'oh!

3 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Surely you can't be serious.

Was literally typing the response when Elvion beat me to it.

And I like first Blade a lot but Snipes with shittons of charisma as Simon makes for wonderful viewing.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Coffee is gross

It's supposed to be. A pleasant-tasting drink might lull you to sleep; the foul, foul taste of coffee complements the caffeine by shocking you awake.