DVDVR Message Board

Stomping Grounds - Tacoma, WA - 6/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Reminded me of a No Way Out PPV I went to in the mid 2000's at the Izod Center that looked real bad on paper and was actually much better than expected (had a great London-Kidman match), at least until that awful main event.

Sounds like No Mercy '04.

Garbage main was JBL vs Taker in a Last Ride match.

• Like 2

I'm very concerned about this Lynch/Rollins angle. Just gives me bad vibes. I could be wrong or irrational about this...but whatever.

Another part of me thinks it hurts Becky Lynch and makes me think Vince doesn't see her as a top act on her own.

Edited by TheVileOne

32 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm very concerned about this Lynch/Rollins angle. Just gives me bad vibes. I could be wrong or irrational about this...but whatever.

Another part of me thinks it hurts Becky Lynch and makes me think Vince doesn't see her as a top act on her own.

Just wait till they do the break up and have Seth be paired with Summer Rae. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

c5a36b2945ba9834-600x338.gif

While I have zero interest in their pairing, whether in real life or on TV, I feel like this little moment encapsulates perfectly why Becky is so likable.

Just a goofy weirdo out there enjoying her travels through life. I don't know that we will ever see a time that a woman would be considered the ace of a (non-women's) pro wrestling company, but I feel like Becky would probably be a pretty good choice. She might be a little too aw shucks, but I can certainly see a situation that with the right booking and right opponents, she could carry a company like WWE.

Maybe I am being hyperbolic, maybe it just breaks down to me digging her shit and wanting to see more of what she can do without the inanity of a lot of what the WWE wants me to think pro wrestling is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Putting Charlotte in the main event of mania instead of doing Becky vs Ronda should have given you that idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

Putting Charlotte in the main event of mania instead of doing Becky vs Ronda should have given you that idea.

I was one of the most vocal critics of making that match a Triple Threat. It totally cut the legs out from under Lynch because of that pre-Mania booking. Along with the fucked finish.

Basically, Becky Lynch is Sting at at Starrcade 1997 2.0.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I have noticed Becky isn't as hot coming out of Mania as she was going into Mania but still Becky is in way better shape momentum wise 2 1/2 months after Mania than Sting was 2 1/2 Months after Starrcade. 

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I was one of the most vocal critics of making that match a Triple Threat. It totally cut the legs out from under Lynch because of that pre-Mania booking. Along with the fucked finish.

Basically, Becky Lynch is Sting at at Starrcade 1997 2.0.

I don't generally defend WWE's booking, but that's a ridiculous overstatement.

She’s doing well the problem is that Vince isn’t giving her a good rival to work with. Shayna should be a summer program for her. Asuka, and her have unfinished business. Sasha, and her would be amazing. But her current rival is a shitty Dixie Cousins wannabe. This shit isn’t fucking hard to book!

250 people on the fucking roster!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Me and my friends who were over to watch it last night felt the exact opposite. We were all " Yeah, it's clear who the star is here." All the smarky chants died in the second half as everyone was waiting for Becky. Speaking of which, last night was a revelation for me. 

Back in 85-86 when I first heard "Boring!" chants I hated it. I thought it was disrespectful. Now, I had no problem with just booing at a shitty match, but I didn't like "Boring", and I was going to shows in Jersey and Philly.

Last night when the yuck bro segment were doing "Daniel Bryan" And "CM Punk" chants, I was like "Oh, fuck you , nerds" and I was no fan of the match, I was waiting for the payoff. 

But when they just started chanting "Boring!", I was totally ok with it. I've evolved to the point where that's just fine and old fashioned. And a relief from the high jacking shit. At least "Boring!" is aimed at the ring. ?

• Like 1

It’s quite a sign of how far the women’s side has fallen off since the promise shown at the Evolution PPV and the hot period where the women were putting on some of the best matches on the show with the most buzz. And a testament to Becky how she’s still getting the star treatment despite the drop-off. As @LoneWolf&Subs mentioned, an injection of new blood would be great to respark the division and bring the match quality back up.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:01 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Watching Joe tonight, and watching 80’s Mid-Atlantic I’ve come to realize who Joe reminds me of. He reminds me of Wahoo McDaniels. Not just in looks, but also two hard hitting old guys who have seen better days, and are out there to put over the young stars. Now all he needs is a specialty match like Wahoo that he can win all the time in.

When I watched this match I couldn't get Joe as the modern day Bad News Brown out of my head. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Custos said:

It’s quite a sign of how far the women’s side has fallen off since the promise shown at the Evolution PPV and the hot period where the women were putting on some of the best matches on the show with the most buzz. And a testament to Becky how she’s still getting the star treatment despite the drop-off. As @LoneWolf&Subs mentioned, an injection of new blood would be great to respark the division and bring the match quality back up.

That's what happens when you sacrifice the entire women's division for Becky, Ronda, and Charlotte.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:37 PM, tbarrie said:

Wait, what? Kofi and Becky were clearly the two most over people on the roster at Wrestlemania (with Kofi probably in first place). You could make a case for Seth being third, but it was a distant third. Has Kofi cooled off that much since then?

The opposite IMO. I feel like Kofi's gotten stronger off his recent consistent weekly performances, after a rocky start to his title run due to dull ass Owens feud, while becky had cooled off way way more since WM, especially since Survivor Series, and hasn't felt like anything special when not paired with Charlotte.