DVDVR Message Board

Stomping Grounds - Tacoma, WA - 6/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Say what you will about the heatlessness of this show, it wasn't that bad.

Good for Drew for capturing the CW title. I've been a fan of his since his CZW days and it's good to see him succeed on a larger stage. As much as I'd like to see him do well on the main roster, at least here he can showcase his skills instead of joining Buddy and Cedric in purgatory.

Becky/Lacy was a bit sloppy in parts and longer than it needed to be but inoffensive enough

New Day/Steenerico was really good with a lot of quality heeling from Owens and Sami.

The match I was mainly looking forward to was Ricochet/Joe and they didn't disapoint. Great match that got enough time for them to both put on a quality showcase.

This was the first time I recall Heavy Machinery actually coming off as a big deal and legit contenders.

Bayley/Alexa wasn't bad but came off as just another weekly Raw match.

I couldn't bring myself to care about Roman/Drew even though I like both. This angle just does nothing for me, mainly with Shane's involvement.

The cage match was a lot better than I was expecting.

The main event was a clusterfuck but at least we didn't end up with Universal Champion Barron Corbin.

• Like 1

Imagine another Corbin main event in Philadelphia.  

If you take away the last 2 matches this was a very enjoyable show.  But man those last two matches.  That main event was reasons 1, 2 and 3 why most people don't watch RAW that much.  Well at least the RAW that doesn't involve AJ Styles vs Ricochet.  Please let that start the show

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Was Corbin/Rollins as incredibly stupid as it reads? Like a fifth rate rip-off of Austin/Love with the crowd rejecting it completely?

There was an audible Lets go Cena, Cena Sucks duel chant in a match not involving John Cena if that answers your question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

If they were trying to recreate Austin-Dude Love Over the Limit 98 with that Main Event they missed their mark.

Oh I bet if Renee Young and Corey Graves was doing their shtick in that match it would have been like that.  Luckily they had someone with talent like 1998 Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler 

seriously Graves explained Lacey Evans slow counting by saying that she is from the South and sometimes they are slow.  What the fuck?  

Edited by hammerva

For a show that got an inordinate amount of hate from the IWC, I thought it was a perfectly enjoyable show.

The main event was more angle than match but what are you gonna do with Corbin? I did really like that in the history of wrestling, men have always rescued women so inverting the trope and having Becky be the badass who has to save Seth was pretty cool.

• Like 1

Eco Warriors Vs. Heavy Machinery was the best match, and that was a debatable tag match. Otis, and Bryan dragged both their partners to something special. I wonder if a lot of that was called on the fly. You can tell Bryan was having fun with Otis in there. Tucker, and Rowan at the end just existed.

• Like 1

Someone finally told Vince that Ali was a former Chicago policemen from the looks of that segment.   Although I did enjoy Laynie Luck playing the role of the homeless drunk

Hopefully that is the only thing he finds out about Ali 

2 minutes ago, pipGofern said:

For a show that got an inordinate amount of hate from the IWC, I thought it was a perfectly enjoyable show.

The main event was more angle than match but what are you gonna do with Corbin? I did really like that in the history of wrestling, men have always rescued women so inverting the trope and having Becky be the badass who has to save Seth was pretty cool.

You mean Seth Rollins's girlfriend? Because lord did they beat the ever loving shit out of reminding people of that. Even Renee had to catch herself before saying Becky Lynch. Also in what planet is Baron Corbin more important than a world title match inside of a steel cage? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This had a chance to be an excellent PPV.   I wouldn't call any of the first what.. 6 or 7 matches bad?  A couple were just there but not bad.  A few were very good and went with the right finish.  

I loved everything about Joe/Ricochet,   Heavy Machinery vs. Bryan & Rowan and New Day vs. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens.  Both women's matches were ok.  

Roman vs. McIntyre started off a little slow but it picked up near the end.  Ziggler and Kofi was probably just ok also but the finish was cool.  

So I was feeling pretty good.   Then the main event happened.  I'll say this,  the crowd did go home happy.  They liked the finish.  But what we had to endure until the finish was fucking awful.  

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That PPV was pretty good...

Until that Main Event, fucking hell that was awful.

Reminded me of a No Way Out PPV I went to in the mid 2000's at the Izod Center that looked real bad on paper and was actually much better than expected (had a great London-Kidman match), at least until that awful main event.

Probably the least interested I've ever been in a WWE PPV. Card full of people I either can't stand or have zero interest in. Roman/Drew was the only match I really cared for at all, exciting finishing stretch. The booking of Joe is consistently awful.

• Like 1

Watching Joe tonight, and watching 80’s Mid-Atlantic I’ve come to realize who Joe reminds me of. He reminds me of Wahoo McDaniels. Not just in looks, but also two hard hitting old guys who have seen better days, and are out there to put over the young stars. Now all he needs is a specialty match like Wahoo that he can win all the time in.

I really enjoyed the show, the undercard was really good everything was great until Roman-Drew then it all went downhill from there. Kofi vs Dolph wasn't bad per say but just the whole escape the cage style of cage match is kind of silly. But that Main Event boy oh boy that was not good.