DVDVR Message Board

SDL Should Have Been Me - 5/21/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I like Kevin Owens a lot, but the issues for him stem from age, injuries, and staleness. When he arrived he was a breath of fresh air in the promotion. Out talking star John Cena, and Keeping up, as well as pushing the star in matches. But he’s slowed down a lot since then, and the comedy stuff has really put a stop to us taking him serious as a contender again. As of right now as a wrestler, he’s basically Ziggler, if Ziggler had charisma.

I’ve been saying for quite sometime now that Owens brings so much more to the show as a personality, and not as a stale wrestler. He should be a manager, and then transition into a commentator. I hear FS1 will have a WWE show. Maybe he should be on there as the veteran analysts to get him started. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

KO got fucked over by the post-Mania Bryan injury. I hated that he was using the Stunner, but a face run is exactly what he needed to be freshened up. He should never have been turned back heel.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

KO got fucked over by the post-Mania Bryan injury. I hated that he was using the Stunner, but a face run is exactly what he needed to be freshened up. He should never have been turned back heel.

I was thinking that. But the fact that they turned him heel to fill a roll quickly basically confirms the company had no faith in Owens in a new face role. 

Really if they needed a heel to fill that spot for Bryan, they could’ve brought up The Undisputed Era, who are really doing jackshit.

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Beyond that, KO was fucked by Ali's injury and the fact that Kofi hit at the moment he did. Owens would have been welcomed back much more strongly as a face challenger for Bryan if there wasn't the perception he was taking something away from Kofi. 

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But the fact that they turned him heel to fill a roll quickly basically confirms the company had no faith in Owens in a new face role. 

It confirms nothing. I'd suggest that Owens being turned heel and thrust into a major storyline yet again signals abundant faith in him in that role. 

Also, Undisputed Era "doing jackshit" equates to being the narrative focal point of NXT at the moment. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

The crap with Braun last year really killed any interest I had left in Owens as a top guy, but yeah he desperately needed a change and the face run could've been that but now he's right back to exactly what/where he was before.

• Like 1

There was that one period (before NXT season one) where Ziggler and Morrison were the young athletic underneath workers that people wanted to see pushed harder. They were pushing guys like Miz, Sheamus, Mr Kennedy, Orton and broken down Edge harder and they were all seen as slow plodding guys at the time.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

There was that one period (before NXT season one) where Ziggler and Morrison were the young athletic underneath workers that people wanted to see pushed harder. They were pushing guys like Miz, Sheamus, Mr Kennedy, Orton and broken down Edge harder and they were all seen as slow plodding guys at the time.

Morrison was the athletic underneath "it" guy a few years before Ziggler was. By the time Ziggler was hitting his stride, Cody was the other dude people were clamouring for.

Morrison > Cody >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ziggler. 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:27 PM, Casey said:

They booked Ziggler/Kofi because KO didn't want to work the Saudi Arabia show apparently.

If that's true, hell yeah.

It's been said many times before, but Ziggler was good by comparison before there was much athletic talent in the company, then when the real deal started showing up in NXT or whatever, he was completely exposed.

I enjoyed the Truth stuff, but I really enjoy Truth. Whole belt 24/7 thing is still trash, though.

Becky/Bayley stuff was cool.

Ali/Andrade was also kicked some ass.

I just auto-fastforward Roman regardless, so this one ended quick. But Elias singing a cheap heat song about how the town sucks always gets a giggle out of me.

Not gonna be surprised if Brock cashes in on Kofi if they need that for Roman/Brock when the FOX thing rolls around, but who really knows or cares.

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

The crap with Braun last year really killed any interest I had left in Owens as a top guy, but yeah he desperately needed a change and the face run could've been that but now he's right back to exactly what/where he was before.

Concur with all this.

• Like 1